Why Are Only Wealthy Industrialists Visitors To The Space Station???

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by monadnock, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phlogistician Banned Banned

You don't seem to grasp this. The people that are going to the ISS are self funding through their own business success from a scientific arena.

Artists are free to apply to go too, as are journalists, and educators, if they can stump up the $20m. But you know these people can't afford that, and seem to think that NASA, and the public should pay for their ticket, as if that enriches society more somehome. That is bullshit. I bet if you do have degrees, they are from some wussy liberal arts college barely recognised.

How can you not be interested in going? The biggest adventure humans can have, and it doesn't interest you? You really show a lack of imagination here, and really, a lack of adventure, if you think living it vicariously through a journalist is a good enough substitute for anyone. You are doubly sad thinking that a journalist could convey the feelings better than someone who understands the science behind the endeavour! I once worked with a bunch of Astronomers, who were interviewed by the press after they discovered a new object, and the 'journalists' started with 'now, let's get the facts straight, it's Astronomy, not Astrology, yes?', showing such a dim grasp as to make the assembled PhD groan. When the artile was published, they cleary hadn't understood what they had been told, and the grammar wasn't even good.

On grammar, that wasn't a question, but a statement. Moving on to the content, clearly you aren't fully cognizant, or you'd know that NASA could use some extra cash too, it's just too risky sending civilians up in the Space shuttle.

You still haven't backed up;

Perhaps because it's not true? The flights are open to anyone with the money, it's just no-one ever became a billionaire poet.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Great post phlogistician. I agree 100%.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. monadnock Registered Senior Member

First of all I have several degrees from degrees from nationally recognized universities and served as a captain in the army. I have taught for 25 years, managed a company and served in a number of positions in government.

I have no desire to go to the station because I am too ill. Further, you seem to think that only scientists can have an omniscient perspective on all things scientific. And that is exactly the point, they don't and I would prefer NASA sponsoring visitors who could prooffer a different view. And no I wasn't suggesting lightweight newsanchor from the six o'clock news. In addition, why are you such a child a as to engage in personal attack?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Could it possibly have been because you've been presenting everything much like a child yourself? For someone who claims to be so highly educated, etc., you certainly don't demonstrate any of it.

8. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I thought you're in read-only mode only.

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Nope, I was before I began posting but not now.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. monadnock Registered Senior Member

You seem to think that you have the only perspective and that anyone who differs from you is WRONG.
    What is this rant? Some type of alpha male thing?
    What are your academic credentials and background?
    a first grade graduate?

11. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Every single statement (above) is inaccurate. It would appear that practically everyone here - certainly not just me - disagrees with you.

I've made no great 'claims to fame' or accomplishments as you've done more than once. But all your claims as such are quickly proven to be false because you display a serious lack of understanding. You've done so in this thread and others.

If you actually DO have a degree (or several, as you say) it was a true waste of time and effort because the final result doesn't show up in your presentations.

12. monadnock Registered Senior Member

Oh, a PSEUDO INTELLECTUAL!

13. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Nope, just a normal person with a good education, some experience and no great ego to feed - unlike yourself in practically every respect.

And I can say the latter with great confidence because even the average 18-year-old can see how silly and childish all the premises are that you've put forth in this thread.

14. monadnock Registered Senior Member

I frankly couldn't care less if you or anyone else agrees with me or not. Your postings in this thread are nothing more than a pseudo intellectual rant by someone with no credentials attempting to aggressively browbeat anyone who disagrees with your position, as narrow as it may be!

15. monadnock Registered Senior Member

Space Station

Neither you, nor this thread are worth anymore time.

16. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Right. Spoken like a true intellectual, yes? No!

For all of your babbling in this thread, the truth is quite plain to almost everyone except, apparently, you. People with a lot of money can go into space because - and ONLY because - they can afford to pay for the experience. And to the best of my knowledge every one of them are fairly intelligent BECAUSE they were able to amass that money in the first place.

So your silly position was doomed from the moment you first posted it here.

17. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

It is Roskosmos, not NASA, that is bringing paying tourists to the ISS. The only skill Russia requires of its space tourists is the ability to fork over large amounts of cash. The ISS is partly Russian property and the vehicles that bring the space tourists up to the ISS are Russian. The Russians feel that so long as they deliver on commitments, whatever else they do with their delivery vehicles and their part of the ISS is their business. On what grounds do you base your objections?

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Because if they accidentally break something they have the money to pay for it!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Why keep mentioning "industrialists" every time? Anyone with enough money and good enough health may do that.

20. monadnock Registered Senior Member

Space Not Just For Wealthy, Aldrin Plans Space Lottery

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Buzz Aldrin, the second man to walk on the moon, announced plans Tuesday for a lottery which would send its winner into space in a bid to spread the dream of extraterrestrial travel beyond the super-wealthy.

Aldrin, who followed U.S. astronaut Neil Armstrong onto the moon in July 1969, said the lottery would be run through his ShareSpace Foundation, which he set up to promote interest in science and space travel in schools.

Details of the competition are still sketchy, Aldrin said at a space investment conference on Wall Street Tuesday, with the legal status of selling lottery tickets still to be resolved.

He said the idea was to offer the top prize of a flight into Earth's orbit, but it was not yet decided on what spacecraft.

Aldrin added that the winner would have to be over 18 years old and in good physical condition. The prize would not be transferable or salable on eBay.

21. phlogistician Banned Banned

You don't desire to be well enough to go?

I'll explain this simply so you can grasp it. Scientists often indulge in the arts in their spare time to relax. Artists are seldom found indulging in the Sciences. Scientists therefore have the more rounded perspective. Scientists can write about their experiences, and some returning Astronauts have painted pictures of their experiences for instance.

You also don't seem to grasp that NASA have nothing to do with any civilian going to the ISS. NASA therefore have no duty to send different people there at the taxpayers expense. If poets want to go, they must pay, it's that simple.

You used an 'appeal to authority' tactic, which is fallacious. So what if you have degrees, you still demonstrate a complete failure in understanding the issue; that space travel is open to all, poets and artists included, as long as they can stump up the cash, and it's absolutely nothing to do with NASA.

22. monadnock Registered Senior Member

Are you really that much of a pusillanimous twit? No. Space isn't open to all, as Aldrin demonstrated in his comments regarding his Space Lottery. No it isn't open to artists et al. It is a question of economic limitation which was exactly the original point of this thread.
    Perhaps even YOU can understand that.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Going to an art exhibition, climbing Himalaya mountains and seeing the pyramids of Giza is limited by economics too.
    So, if I can't allow it, should the state pay for my visiting art exhibitions, climbing mountains and going for a trip to Giza and other places?

I understand your general idea (sublime experience for all) and it's sweet, but not compatible with the current civilization and the limited resources of this planet, and NASA is a scientific agency, it has nothing whatsoever to do with arts, etc.
    I suggest you get over it, or your health might suffer from nervous stress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.