Why are fat people unnattractive?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Dr Lou Natic, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Raha Registered Senior Member

Yes, it is funny. And thank you for expanding my vocabulary.
    As for nitpicking – I am afraid this time it was YOU who was nitpicking, but there might be a fault on my side, of course. Unfortunately, as I already said, I am not at home in English enough, so sometimes my expressions might be rather clumsy or not accurate. But in this case I am quite sure I made myself clear enough. WANDERER suggested that we are somewhat “genetically” pre-programmed to perceive fatness as non-attractive. I merely provided evidence that this idea is wrong (and it was not "bogus" evidence). Have you read my post in its entirety? Its main idea was that our aesthetical standards are relative to culture we live in.
    After you explained me the word “woody” I understand that by your post you implied I am sort of “fat fetishist”. No, I am not. But I am not “anorectic with silicon breast fetishist” either. There is really nothing wrong with being fat and that you personally do not like it is insignificant.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spookz Banned Banned

And thank you for expanding my vocabulary.

for woody? a contraction might be preferable in ths case

As for nitpicking – I am afraid this time it was YOU who was nitpicking,

illogically i might add

Unfortunately, as I already said, I am not at home in English enough, so sometimes my expressions might be rather clumsy or not accurate.

while the rest of us understand and accomadate, the dankass exploits cos she sucks (gay dogs)

Have you read my post in its entirety?

great post! definitive! unfortunately a bit too refined for the dankass

you implied I am sort of “fat fetishist”.

consider it to be the first of such negative implications. these are the methods the bitch employs.

dank!

arf arf arf
    yap yap yap

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

HMMMMM!

Cultural differences eh?
    Yes that is a good point.
    Why might that be? Well I for one see a correllation.
    We all know, in general, afro-americans like bitches with meat on their bones.
    I see this as telling of their history. They instinctually "remember" being hungry.
    In regions strickened with famine the most attractive would be those that appeared to be skilled at finding food.
    Again, finding fatties attractive makes sense. A fat organism is a successful organism, if their fatness became a hinderence they'd quickly stop being fat. So I'm not convinced with the "we find people attractive who look like they'd be good at chasing gazelles" theory.
    Fatty's are getting food somewhere, bottom line.

The culture's that are puzzling are the white and oriental cultures, who clearly find slimmer to be more attractive.
    (orientals so much so that "the fatty" has all but become extinct)
    Again there is a correlation, whites and orientals have been successful for a longer time than the other cultures.
    Successful as in having easy accesss to lots of food.

But why did this make skinny attractive and fat unnattractive? Other cultures finding fatty's attractive aided the survival of their culture. It wasn't necessarry for asians and whities to choose slim mates, so why did they click over to that preference in their instincts?
    The only thing it seems to be aiding is the environment, putting a muzzle on extreme over consumption. But that is not something the evolution of organisms takes into account... or is it?

"no

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"

Well fuck you I think it is.
    Yes I'm talking about gaia stuff again, all spawned from my disliking of fat people

(Actually I don't mind a bit of "back", I'm just sayin stuff for the sake of saying it)

God thats dumb, why do people say that?
    At absolute best the media could persuade people into wanting to be seen with a certain type of person. It couldn't affect what we are actually attracted to. A much more powerful force than "the jews" is in control of that.
    The media's opinion merely changes with popular opinion, of course.
    Unless you think aliens are in charge of the media.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spookz Banned Banned

i kicked a dog today doc

8. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I dare you to kick my dog motherfucker

Oh yeah.... I don't have a dog anymore, he died

Thanks alot spooks

9. spookz Banned Banned

what happened? overdosed on love?

10. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Cancer

If he was alive I'd let anyone who wanted to kick him do so, because he would have mauled them to death straight afterwards.
    I only ever own dogs that are kick proof

Too much of a worry otherwise.

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

Stay on topic, please. Spookz, please confine the expression of your affection for gendanken to already inane threads. This is not free thoughts.

12. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

weak.
    No one does here(in oz) so serious dogs still have jobs and would definately be the best form of personal protection.
    (I think they're better than guns anyway because they work while you're asleep and can't be turned against you)

Back in the day marauding mastiffs from great caesars army could terrorise entire villages of helpless screaming humans. Now some smartass would just shoot them... so gay

Are you saying you shot a dog that attacked you? Pfft, lame, way to press ctrl-alt-delete pansy, yeah ok you made me sad but how about this;
    Once these little black kids were throwing rocks at my dog so I opened the gate and they scrambled up a tree and I threw rocks at them while my dog yanked them out of the tree one by one and I laughed my ass off untill my dad ran out and saved their lives, but they were pretty messed up

how do you like that man-lover? huh? People got hurt... make you sad buddy? A little waterworks is there?

Anyway, you're really good at changing the subject spooks.. this is about fatties, discuss!

13. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Oh great now I look like a jackass, replying to nobody and all that.

Hey, how come you aren't pissed that this topic isn't even philosophy?
    Or is it? I don't think it is I just thought it up while I was in here.
    It would be if I said "fattyism" of course, but you'll note that I didn't say ism ever

14. yinyinwang Registered Senior Member

Fat is a burden, it makes body out of proportion.
    But in the bear case, fat is a neccesity to survive the cold.
    If we are in danger of famine, you would like a skinny model.

15. Bells Staff Member

I guess that some people prefer to just look at a person's outer beauty. Other people prefer to look at the whole picture and not at what's just on the inside. I guess that would mean that some are vain and others are not. Some prefer to have a trophy on their arm when they are out in public so that they are the object of admiration from others while others prefer to just find someone who is beautiful inside and out and they dont consider weight to be the main issue in deciding the beauty of their partner.

After reading some of the posts in this forum and seeing what type of people there are out there, I must remind myself to treat my bodily lard to some ice-cream...

16. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

People keep mentioning other cultures, remote islands, centuries ago...

It wasn't that long ago that being full-bodied and voluptuous was considered sexy in America and across all of Europe.

You don't have to go as far back as Rembrandt.

Marilyn Monroe...
    Bettie Page...
    Marlena Deitrich...
    All of the actresses, models and pin-up girls had big hips, drastic curves and had some meat on them.
    This "heroin chic" look didn't start until the late 1960's.

The twig look, started to come into fashion in the seventies.

Of course human males are instinctually attracted to healthier women to bear their children.
    What is healthy?
    A woman who is strong enough to pull the plow behind the horse, wide "child bearing" hips, not so skinny and frail that she needs a man to lift the pot of water for her, but not so fat that that she can't run away from a wild animal while holding your child against her hips.
    Yes, in many (I would even wager, MOST) cultures today they still find that robust voluptuous figure the most appealing.

I couldn't disagree more.
    What do you think...
    Human males have evolved so much in less than a generation (in only the few major indutrialized nations coincidently) that they have completely changed the ideal of the archetypal attractive female form in our collective conscoiusness?
    Of course not.

Since the seventies (and the fitness boom) we have been bombarded with images of slim trim women pouting at us everywhere we go.
    We have been told it is lazy, unhealthy and slothful to have any extra body fat.
    Women have been told that they are less of a woman if they are more woman than the models in the magazines.

Media doesn't imitate life, life imitates the media.
    We (as a society) are more under the control of advertisers than we are of authority figures, religions, hell, even our own instincts.
    Why do you think governments rely so heavily on media propaganda?
    Why do you think that people are working 80 hours a week and wasting their lives away paying off mounting debt in an effort to afford that Lexus, the Plasma TV, the bigger house and everything else the ad campaigns tell them that they want?
    Why do you think kids have been killed over brand name sneakers and jackets?
    Because the ads tell us that if we don't look, dress, act, think and talk like THIS then we are wrong, strange, different, an outcast, less of a person and basically worthless.
    The way children are taught in the public school system sets them up for prime targets of a campain that feeds on insecurities, fears and self doubt (but that is another can of wors altogether).

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Also, in the societies most affected by the "technolgical revolution" I think people have been becoming less and less emotionally strong and mature. Due in part (among many other reasons that are destined for another thread), to allowing themselves to become more obsessed with and dependent upon technology and modern conveniences.
    The adult males in these "advanced" cultures, partly due to the dwindling emotional maturity levels, have become more attracted to younger women. Girls who have not physically grown into womanhood yet. Smaller breatsts, slimmer hips, smaller build etc.
    Look at most of the top supermodels, who most young girls look at to find out what "beauty" is as they are growing up. 17 year old waifs with b-cups, no hips, little muscle and no meat.
    Models in the 60's looked like women, not children. Why? Partly because men were attracted to women, not girls.

18. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Yes, but now they are attracted to girls so the media merely provides.

Perhaps it is a joint relationship in someway, like maybe the media naturally makes the population get bored with things quicker, but I refuse to believe the media is in control of what people find attractive. If they just decided to say skin diseases were hot and had models with grotesque skin diseases on the tv, people would just say "wtf?", they wouldn't suddenly start being attracted to girls with skin diseases.
    The media feeds off of people, not the other way around.
    Trends come and go so fast POSSIBLY because the media over does them and we want something new, but we in general are in control of what the new thing is.

This was supposed to be a basic question, why are even morbidly obese people considered unnattractive? You would expect our instincts to view them as extra successful.
    Why isn't hail damage sexy? It seems obvious, it just isn't, but thats what makes me wonder. Why are we programmed to find it unattractive?
    What we see as attractive is someone that works hard and struggles to survive(or the artificial mimmicry that is known as keeping fit and working out).
    Why is that? A fatty is obviously succeeding at life somehow, it seems nature WANTS us to struggle.

(Note: you'll find all my threads are secretly aimed at saying humans aren't currently living the way they are supposed to be

)

19. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I am quoting you out of order so my answers fit better.
    I hope you don't mind.
    That's where I think you are going wrong.
    What we see as attractive is not someone who struggles.
    What we find attractive is success
    A healthy person will be a more successful person.

Our nature is not a desire TO struggle.
    It is a desire to BE ABLE to struggle.
    Someone that can handle hard work.
    Someone that can deal with hard times.
    Someone that is the most likely to survive and help us and our offspring to survive.
    A morbidly obese person is a liability to that end, not a benefit.

Not at all.
    Morbidly obses is a sign of someone that is unhealthy and/or lazy.

Secret? Secret to whom?

20. TheERK Registered Senior Member

Perhaps there is a proper explanation in your 'dic.'

Could not resist.

21. P. M. Thorne Registered Senior Member

Dr. Lou, I disagree with you, especially in light of your extreme nonsensical hyothetics. I believe that media has a big hand in what people consider okay and not okay. Many folks are like sheep. You probably are not, and find it difficult perhaps to understand how easily lead people can be.

22. spookz Banned Banned

this one time...somewhere
    i got paid!
    i rounded up some canines
    for some.....
    animal testing!
    last i heard, they have limbs growing out of their asses

23. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member