Why are American men boring materialists?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Xev, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xev Registered Senior Member

Orleander:
    I didn't say you were shallow, someone else did. I don't think you're shallow.
    You'd like my last friend with benefits, who ended up starting a business with a friend. Drive, ambition, and he'll probably end up with money. But he stopped coming over to get high and watch Pinky and the Brain, and stopped going out to parties in favor of schmoozing with boring people. So I terminated the "with benefits." Which was kinda a loss.

Dominance is, imo, one of those retarded social rituals that exist because people want it to exist. Most people are weak-willed and want to be led, so whenever someone shows up and tells them what to do, they are all "yay! we have someone to tell us what to do!" It's like the average-looking girls who people think are hot because they act stuck-up, and people assume that you must have some reason to act like a bitch.

I hurt my knee running and I'm on a lot of muscle relaxers, so this may not make any sense.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I find your ideas interesting and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xev Registered Senior Member

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

I think that would be me. LOL. But I didn't say shallow, I said materialistic; and that was before she fully explained herself with this statement:

Hey, how you doin?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Hmmmm... maybe we can work something out here.

LOL
    I like Pinky and the Brain too! And Animaniacs too!

Go to any Army or Marine base and you will get a first hand glance at how even homely women think they're the shit because they have all these no-standard, sex-starved juvenile-mentality servicemembers fawning all over them. I can't so much blame the girls in that situation because they get that power because all those boys give up their power to the girls.
    I'd like to know who these people are so I can bitchslap them. I can't stand bitchy behavior. Plus it's just so much fun calling them out on their bitchy behavior and watching how defensive they get.

Unless you have some to share for everyone, there is no need to tease us by mentioning them!

What kind are they?

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

Lol. Oh yes. Or Danger Mouse. Spongebob and South Park in moderation.

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. I always wondered why it seems like the women who act the worst to guys seem to be the most "sexy."

Lol. Skelacin (sp?) Apparently I should have gone to my doctor earlier.

9. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Because they appear as if they know what they're doing, and therefore look like they're in control of at least "something".

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Real men only want one thing from women!

It's all those wimpy, weakling males (I can't honestly use the term "men") who claim to want something different ....but most, if not all, of them lie, too.

Baron Max

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

So why be attracted to the ones who act the most "bitchy," when all you want is sex? Sex is sex, and someone who isn't annoying is easier for it, no?

12. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

WTF is wrong with you? Next thing we'll hear is that you're going with an Economics major and showering complaints here. People who go for computer science are mostly the ones who couldn't think of anything to do in High School, especially after the Y2K scare passed. You want them to come up with something now?

Point 2: I said IQ, not major. With higher IQ come information, creativity, and sense of humor. Don't tell me that smart people are boring, those are two excluding characteristics.

Regarding materialism: in order to be non-materialistic, one has to grow up in a rich family. Showing off for no reason other than showing off, jealousy, counting money all the time - that's mostly a characteristic of the poor (not even middle class), and that's perfectly natural and reasonable on the part of those people. You need to have a vast abundance of money to let yourself stop counting it.

And, one more thing: when there's nothing to do, when the other party is bored and boring, it's up to you to be the show. If you can't do that, don't demand that from someone else. If you can entertain, you both will have fun.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats interesting. I have always observed that those who work hard and make their own money are less likely to use it for enjoyment, more likely to pinch pennies and be frugal.

14. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Just speculating but maybe guys go for the bitchy ones for sex because they know they wouldn't date them otherwise?
    I am sure that some guys go for bitchy girls for the same reason girls go for jerky guys...for the challenge.
    I wouldn't understand why any guy with any self-esteem would want to actually date a bitchy girl.

15. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

They end up together because that's what trash does.

Brittney Spears and kfed.. case in point.

16. Nutter Shake it loose, baby! Registered Senior Member

Some men find it more gratifying to sexually stain or (further) defile or humiliate a bitchy female as a means of "punishment" for her bitchiness. And watch her beg for more.

17. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

that joint is just as much an indulgence as going shopping to get excited.

18. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

sexually stain? what's that?

19. Xev Registered Senior Member

Well you see, Orleander, when a bee loves a flower very very much....

20. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

21. vslayer Registered Senior Member

i disagree. i grew up in a poor family and i find just the opposite. the rich will go buy flashy things they dont need just to show off, whereas i will stick to minimalism so as not to flaunt my newfound prosperity and make the poor feel underpriveledged.

22. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Xev, American females are just as bad. I don't know how accurate your assessment is. Personally I would label myself as a humanist for my entire life because that's how I was raised. Humanist by definition (the one that was originally proposed in the 16th century) believes in taking on a challenge toward maximum fullfillment of human potential which includes comprehensive achievement in intellect, education, as well as social achievements such as having friends, family, power and wealth and also improvement in personal soul growth like kindness or philanthropy. I liked to accumulate wealth because it is part of the challege, but I also wouldn't hestitate giving it away. It sounds individualistic but individuals make up the whole.

That has changed however. A series of events in my life led to my "awakening", and I am undergoing an intellectual renaissance. One pitful of my previous thinking is that it leads to a big ego which is not only false but difficult to put to death.

Another answer to your question has to do with Christianity. Christians of reformed tradition believe in unconditional divine election and double predestination. In order to know if you are truly elected or not, you have to look for signs. One such sign is material prosperity. That is precisely why descendents of puritans are so well off today. And US has 75% Christians and fully submerged in Christian values, so it doesn't surprise me that Americans are materialistic.

23. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

The only people I know who are not materialistic come from poor families.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.