Who likes the Sandman?

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Hypercane, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

Are there any fans of the comic created by Neil Gaiman?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Although this thread will probably be deleted I feel the urge to say this.

Wha?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

The Sandman is a comic series created by Neil Gaiman.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Why would it be deleted?

8. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Cos the substance of the post is the confused dude which then sparked questions into what the hell the sandman is.

9. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

Oh. im sorry. Ill edit it.

10. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Ah excellent. In responce to the thread in question...

...I have heard of it but never read or looked into it.

11. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Yes Yes YEs!

Does that answer your question? I have the entire series. I know many people who know and love it. I would like to talk about it, but am about to go away for the weekend, so dont talk about too much whilst im away.

12. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

as an alternative viewpoint on the subject:

sandman sucks.

13. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

CAre to give some reasons?

14. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

because i sais so

sorry, have never really heard of it, just thought id provide a counter, in the hope someone would then explain who he is, so i know why he doesnt suck.
    at the moment, i have no proof either way.

15. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Have you all no initiative? Just go to google or whatever you use, type in neil gaiman sandman and youll probably find out all you ever wanted to know about the comic books.
    Otherwise, i'll sum it up here, they are a related set of something like 80 comics collected into 10 books, covering a story arc based around the character dream, ie a kind of personified sandman, who isnt a god, but yet deals with them. Its kind o fhard to explain right now. Just go and read them.

16. DCLXVI Bloody Bastard Registered Senior Member

I like some of the stories but some of them are utter crap.

But that goes for most comics really.

17. Ellimist "Nothing of consequence." Registered Senior Member

I hate comics... immensely.

But, The Sandman is wonderful and very well made.

Gaiman's books are also fantastic - American Gods is splendid... however, Neverwhere could use some work.

18. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I can say this...Sandman has some seriously good covers. A lot are done by famous artists and a lot are photographs.

19. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

The Sandman is classic.

20. ifancyhobbits Registered Member

I LOVE The Sandman. Neil Gaiman is so awesome it's not even funny. If you haven't read any of The Sandman comics you really should. I usually don't read graphic novels and such, but I thought I'd give the series a try, and they're really good.

21. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I cant resist is, help....

hey, I fancy hobbits, I knwo a reenactor known as frodo, for being about 5 foot tall and broad across the shoulders. What is it that attracts you to hobbits?

22. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

SPOILERS:

Gaiman is a genius, today i just read Volume IX, and figured out the whole interconnection with all the previous volumes and Dream's grand suicide. Damn that author is a genius. It does not actually tell you how Dream staged his suicide, but if you connect :

How he felt afterwards, when he was imprisoned by Burgess.
    The way Morningstar felt leading to him abandoning Hell.
    The way Destruction felt leading to events causing him to abandon his responsibilities and his realm.

All these events had influenced Dream into his grand suicide, and even further influenced by Desire. Dream had interconnected all these events to the right moment.

Desire wanted him to spill family blood, so s/he raped Unity Kinkaid and passed the vortex down to her daughter, then Rose Walker. Desire knew that Dream's authority to kill a mortal if he or she had a vortex. Instead, Desire's plan failed when Unity Kinkaid took back the vortex back into her being. But what was unexpected is that Dream killed his son, Orpheus.

The grand suicide was triggered when Destiny had the family meeting in his realm, with Dream already "broken" because of his eighty year imprisonment, the first influence he would get was from Lucifer, then Destruction, then his grand plan.

At the end of Volume IV, Dream revealed that Loki switched places with Susano-o-no-Mikoto, and Lokie begged that he mustn't go back to his punishment below the earth. So, Dream did what he could, deceived Odin All-Father (temporarily) and Loki agreed that he is in debt of Dream. Now, it did not show what his boon was to Dream any time in the series after Volume IV. But it is safe to assume that part of Dream's grand plan was to enfuriate Hippolyta Hall, thus he told Loki to kidnap Daniel.

Hippolyta Hall swore she would kill the person who ever harms Daniel, so Loki and Puck disguised as cops and gave a false picture of a burned Daniel to Lyta. She furtherly assumed that it was Dream whohad done this. She went to the Kindly Ones for vengeance, but the Kindly Ones said that the revenge only by the chance that person spilled family blood. In Volume VII, Delirium wanted to look for Destruction, and later on Destiny tells Dream that he must consult Orpheus, for he only knows the present whereabouts of Destruction. In order to get this information, Dream owed Orpheus a debt, and that is the long awaited death Orpheus has dreamed of.

So, when Lyta Hall consulted the Kindly Ones, that was the time the Kindly Ones could fuel on vengeance to accomplish their task, for no one wanted vengeance for Orpheus' death. Lyta, assuming Dream killed her son, was told that Dream killed his son and this was the perfect chance for Lyta to kill Dream. Once Dream knew that this moment has come, he made the proper arrangements, had the Corinthian and Matthew seek out the person who kidnapped Daniel and bring him back to the Dreaming. Dream gave Daniel the Eagle-stone emerald, and later on Matthew brought pack the pouch of sand and Dream's helm back to the castle.

Dream finally accomplished his task, he committed suicide by the use of his sister Death, who was one of the few people who knew what his grand plan was. When this happened, Daniel took the proper place Morpheus has given him. Dream couldn't have simply left his realm like Destruction because he knew that there were responsibilities left. He knew that when Dream was away from his realm for a long period of time, the Dreaming slowly fell apart, and he did not want this to happen. So thus he appointed Daniel as the new Dream.

I guess Dream isnt as dumb as Thesaly assumed.

23. Hypercane Sustained Winds at Mach One Registered Senior Member

I guess no one else likes the Sandman.