Who is the most spiritually advanced member of Sciforums?

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by wynn, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Doreen Valued Senior Member

The delusion that what one is seeing is an object 'out there'. I mean, if one goes by the current neurophysiological models where in fact we are really contructing an internal virtual model of what is out there, the latter not being something 'we' see.

Then there are probably attendant more culture delusions - like conflakes taste good have some actual nutrition will satisfy the urge that brings me to them and so on.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I doubt that was what John meant, otherwise one could claim that simply existing requires delusion.

Pfft. What if you're opening the pack for someone else?
    (And cornflakes DO taste good

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

).

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Ja'far at-Tahir Grand Ayatollah of SciForums Registered Senior Member

Then you've never read Ecce Homo.

That's getting deep.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I can't see how he didn't mean that....
    [my bold]
    I would say that simply living requires acting on what could be considered delusions since we have a lack of evidence. If we based our actions (and attitudes and beliefs) only one what would pass some kind of peer review by scientists we would be dead very quickly or at least jammed onto life support and maintained by others.

Life requires assumption, faith if you will. I am with John on this one.

Are you sure? Are you sure it's not an addiction based association to lots of simple carbs that will crash into your blood and cause all sorts of highs and lows?

Try them after eating a real, prof made breakfast and see if there isn't a carboard empty dry wasteland aspect to them.

8. John99 Banned Banned

It is all relative and i never mentioned the word requires\requirement.

9. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Really? What, for the vast majority of people (not scientists) constitutes sufficient evidence?
    The "evidence" that buses exist, is, for the most part given by the "fact" that it appears at the time given on the timetable (roughly +/- an hour - this IS England), that I have to hand over money and the driver's assessment of the amount paid agrees with mine, even down to me getting the correct change, and topped off by the general agreement that (what appears to be) all my friends happen to agree that I am now at their location where previously I was at home.

I dunno, don't other things also give that result? Yet I choose cornflakes in preference.

I put milk on mine, hence - not dry. And Kellogs' version definitely have a better flavour.
    Oh, and I rarely have them for breakfast - they're for supper.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  10. John99 Banned Banned

Supper?

11. Doreen Valued Senior Member

They go by common sense and faith in memory and intuition. Oh, the doors that opens....

So you trust your memory, in detail and that you are referring to something 'out there' and that your self persists through time. I am not saying you are wrong, just that you are working on a lot of faith. And if you are going to say it has worked so far pretty well, note that you are relying on the same family of evidence for this conclusion as well.

As long as you know you might be deluded about the taste.

This last helped put the issue in context for me. I give up.

12. Doreen Valued Senior Member

John even when I agree with you you disagree with me....

I was quoting you...

I will do it again....

post 78

13. John99 Banned Banned

I wasnt disagreeing with you. I was pointing out that i never said it was a requirement.

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Yep. But once again we're back to John's throwaway remark. Which he has so failed to expand upon. I should have expected that...
    Regardless: is that sufficient evidence to get them through (what they believe to be) daily life?

No, again we're back to how much evidence is required for the assumptions to be regarded as worth holding. Although I'm not sure that your last sentence is quite right. There's something about it that doesn't strike me as... true? Consistent? Never mind, it'll come to me or it won't.

But then again, I'm "deluded" about everything I taste, aren't I? In which case what I'm actually saying is "I prefer the illusion of taste I get from product X over the illusion of taste I get from product Y". No?

Well... the honest answer (i.e in YOUR context) would be: it comes down to what I'd prefer at the time.

You picked a bad example with "breakfast" because although, strictly speaking I do eat breakfast - i.e. I break my fast and have a "first meal of the day" - it's anywhere between 2 and 8 hours after I wake. I detest the thought of food just after rising. Sorry.

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Yes you did:
    http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2603629&postcount=78

16. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Are you asking me for my intuitive sense. It seems to be. Of course many things about common sense, probably some that are false, help us get through everyday life, or seem to. How much they are limiting and/or creating that life, I don't know.
    I think most people would say if it is working (which must, ultimately, mean seem to be working) it's OK. But you can see the door that opens there.

I could probably attack my last sentence, but...I don't wanna.

Sometimes I don't know how to answer since I am often role playing - iow feeding back worldviews that are not quite my own, in a hopefully annoying but somehow interesting way. Modern science - neuroscience, physics - is tending to say these days that our perceptions and sense of ourselves and everthing else is illusory. Which is a funny conclusion for empiricists to draw since it makes every theory fruit of the poisonous tree (metaphorically).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_of_the_poisonous_tree

Note: illusory is not necessarily wrong. But it gets rather funny when you have scientists telling us that the 'Self' does not exist and we do not experience reality but a virtual reality - which to me always raises the issue of an infinite regress -- but that's another issue.

I don't know what they relied on when they went to the lab, but if it was selves and wasn't experience.......

(I do know I am being polemical here, but nevertheless, I think there is a real 'forgetting' in relation to experience. Forgetting it is the base and really the only thing we can be sure exists.

No, it's OK. I think we both understood the arguments we were trying to bolster, regardless of your approach to eating.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  17. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Yup. Mostly (until I'm either posting here or in the pub with a couple of reliable drinking buddies, when the doors can/ do open) I go with sufficient unto the day..., which is definitely evil enough for me.

Ha!

Pfft, annoying in the right way is interesting in itself.

But, and this is the question they fail to ask: to whom does it make a difference?
    The guy running for the taxi?
    The taxman?
    The guy looking for next year's grant? Aah!

Eurgh! I'm not going there.
    Too convoluted methinks.

18. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

*bump*

19. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

Kee-rist! I just saw this, and you say you're not a troll!? But I'll play along:
    ...you must not think that you have made any progress until you look upon yourself as inferior to all others... Thomas à Kempis (The Imitation of Christ)

20. Neverfly Banned Banned

Bazinga.

21. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Not to mention bumping a 2 year old thread without adding any new content.

Wynn thinks she is.

22. Neverfly Banned Banned

Thought Wynn was a he. Thought Epictetus was a he, too.
    Jeez, I'm gonna start calling everyone "it." :bugeye:

23. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

I think I am a he. But what do I know? Don't ask me about Wynn.