Who do you dress for?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by S.A.M., May 16, 2008.

?

On what do you base your choice of clothes?

1. Your opinion

67.9%
  2. A significant other's opinion

24.5%
  3. Keeping up with fashion

7.5%
  4. Convenience

45.3%
  5. To project a certain image

30.2%
  6. To look attractive to the opposite sex

18.9%
  7. What people will think

11.3%
  8. Your age

11.3%
  9. Your figure

20.8%
  10. Your experience

20.8%
  11. Hints you got from "What not to wear"

11.3%
  12. Some other opinion

17.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

true

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

there should be a 'what smells the least' or 'what i wore yesterday' option.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL, that was me in college. I wore a lot of clothes inside-out

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

There may be something to the statement "the clothes make the man", I really don't know because I've never been into clothes. I wear a very basic combo of jeans and a collared shirt most days because that's what the dress code is at my office, and that's what I'm comfortable in. So that brings me to an observation about clothes, and I really don't have a point here or an argument, just an observation.

Last night was an interesting study in perceptions for me. I was the best man in a wedding in Fairhope AL, and the bride bought us matching pants, shirt, tie, and sport coats instead of going the tuxedo route. Bear in mind she picked out some Ralph Lauren stuff that definitely would not have been my first choice (see pink tie), but whatever, I was there to do a job. The funny thing was, during the reception and after it was over and we went to the hotel lounge I garnered a type of attention I'm not accustomed to from the fairer sex. I will admit, I looked good in what she bought us. If fit well, and I had on the flower and the whole getup and I was grinning ear to ear because it was such a great night, so maybe just the confidence thing had more to do with it than the clothes, I don't know, but there was definitely something different going on.

So for the wonderful ladies of sciforums, a question if you will indulge me: Take an average looking dude like me and put him in a sharp suit or shirt-tie combo, whatever, does that influence the way you see him? The dollars would say yes, as evidenced by the designer clothes market for men, but out there in the meat world away from NYC or LA, does it make a difference?

Sorry SAM if you think this if totally off-topic.

8. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

my husband buys a good portion of my clothes
    I tell him to buy whatever he thinks I'd look good with

9. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

To be honest I don't get all excited in men in a suit and tie. I rather like them dressed in more fashion forward casual dress.

10. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

Most definiately.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Even Declan could get laid with the right tailoring.

Can't be a cheap suit though, that just makes you look like a geography teacher.

11. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I've long thought Indian suits to be far more sensible and appealing than western styles.

Short little collars...and they dont tuck in their shirts.

12. Varda The Bug Lady Valued Senior Member

i think they look extremely cheesy

13. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

That's models posing in a picture what makes 'em fromagetastic. Indian men are [imho] the most beautiful in the world. And yes Carcano, they have the finest tailoring and fabrics.

14. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Ties are cheesy. Whoever invented the modern tie should be hanged with it.

Indian shirts dont need em!

15. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

I dress for convenience. I'm fond of relatively tough fabrics and lots of pockets (like fatigues). I also prefer tee-shits and polo shirts. I rarely buy any clothes with any patterns, logos, or bright colors. My favorite clothing colors are navy blue, black, beige, and olive green.
    I prefer sandals over shoes. I actually wear them year round regardless of how cold it gets (my feet never feel cold for some reason).
    I rarely wear hats - but sometimes sport a visor.

I tend to avoid button up shirts, or any thing with a collar.
    I also tend to wear the same thing over and over again (not multiple days in a row).

I'm clueless about how to impress women, so I don't have any clothes that I consider plumage.

16. purple_hairstreak My true colours clash Registered Senior Member

Convenience and comfort all the way!

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I would prefer to see a man in a suit. I like hats (not caps) as well.

Its like a cop. One in a uniform...eh, ok. Slap a hat on him and all of a sudden he's just....more.

18. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I can hear the music in the comfort of my living room in perfect high fidelity. When I pay $100 per ticket, fight traffic for two hours to get to a stadium, get frisked and settle for drinking Budweiser, I demand to see a SHOW! But no, that doesn't excuse Kiss, and almost every bar band I know is better than they are.
    David Bowie popularized that phrase during his Ziggy Stardust period when he was wearing them although he probably didn't invent it. Today I hear them referred to as CFMP's: come fuck me pumps. Girls buy them at the DSW (Discount Shoe Warehouse) so they have DSWCFMPs.
    Allow me to give you your first clue: Don't start with the clothes! A whole lot of other stuff is a whole lot more important. A nice man who dresses like a doofus will get a nice woman. An asshole who dresses like a stud will not.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We've put 200,000 miles on the Mercedes in 30 years and it's still running fine. (A diesel of course.) We bought the ruby wholesale and we could sell it for three or four times what we paid for it. So both were good investments.

20. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

Oh so very true indeed.

21. codanblad a love of bridges Registered Senior Member

Originally Posted by Fraggle Rocker
    A nice man who dresses like a doofus will get a nice woman. An asshole who dresses like a stud will not.

rubbish. complete rubbish. chicks love assholes. too off topic to talk about.

on topic, only 4 sciforums peeps voted for fashion. we all anti conformists or geeks or what? if the question was 'do you dress like people you identify with, and so adopt a certain fashion sense', would answers be different? i would think most people have an idea about the consequences of what they're wearing. you wear old stuff cos you're anti-consumerist or anti-fashion whore, or a sentimentalist or retrophile. i wear band shirts and and old stuff cos i reckon they're cool, its my idea of fashion.

22. draqon Banned Banned

errr...who's Declan? :bugeye:

23. EmmZ It's an animal thing Registered Senior Member

No idea.