Who believes and who doesn't?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Cris, Jul 5, 2006.

?

Who believes and who doesn't?

1. You hold a firm belief in a supernatural presence or universal structure of some type

40 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. You hold no beliefs in the supernatural

69 vote(s)
    55.2%
  3. You are unsure of where you stand on these issues

16 vote(s)
    12.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

So, you've seen god? What does he look like?

Remaining ignorant is not something to be proud of.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ggazoo Registered Senior Member

Haven't seen, but felt. I can't explain it, and no, that's not a cop-out.

I'm just telling you what I've experienced, that's all. Not having been there, I can see how it's quite easy for you to judge me on a message board a thousand miles away.

Thanks for your input, though.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

How remarkably vague of you. Interesting how you attribute this superstitious 'feeling' to a particular organised religion which you were born into. Proof right away that you are wrong, ignorant, irrational, all because you seek a comfort blanket to help your insecurity.

You can't hide behind the "you don't understand" cop-out. Atheists have by and large been there and done that as most of us have been indoctrinated and at one time believed in this bullcrap. As well as being aware of the things that attatch people to religion, we are also human, and understand emotions that regularly pull people towards religion.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rickie Registered Member

If this planet and all the life that exist came from strickly natural process without a god or surpreme being or what ever behind it all, then there would be no purpose in life. a planet with no purpose is filled with people who are comsumed by? that doesn't make sence to me. but hey, weather i'm right or wrong, it's just my opinon.

8. Rickie Registered Member

9. Rickie Registered Member

i'm number one

10. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Why is there any less purpose in life if there is no God?

Wrong.

People believe in God because they want to believe in afterlife, and that they will meet dead loved ones again, or that they can pray for something and get, that this invisible father figure wubs them... if that is not a comfort blanket I don't know what is.

11. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

No worries, that's the exact answer that not only did I expect, but which is pretty much the same answer from all theists. Yes, it is a cop-out.

Who's judging? You can't demonstrate to me, yourself or anyone else that whatever you felt has anything to do with gods. You, yourself are unable to distinguish between that and your imagination.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Nobody who feels a spiritual connection with God can explain it (Q). It just is.

13. Rickie Registered Member

Wrong.

People believe in God because they want to believe in afterlife, and that they will meet dead loved ones again, or that they can pray for something and get, that this invisible father figure wubs them... if that is not a comfort blanket I don't know what is.[/QUOTE]

once again, u seem to be under the impression that those who believe, believe "all" people who believe will "see" the afterlife and once again meet loved ones.

but none the less i see what your trying to say, but like i said, if i was to die right now, i know i wouldn't see the afterlife. but i know i would have to answer for the wrongs i've done in my life. for me, the "comfort blanket" would be no god. being a acting theist (by that i mean actually following your belief and not just saying you believe) is not a easy life to live. a atheist life is a much more easy life to follow.

14. Rickie Registered Member

15. ggazoo Registered Senior Member

So the easy way is the right way? Since when?

16. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

I could kill a million people, or I could put and end to world hunger, I would still be worm food at the end of the day. I won't be judged by some divine sky fairy, nor will I be sucking Satans testicles in a lake of fire.

With that said there remains purpose in life without inventing a fantasy like our friend Ggazoo has.

17. Rickie Registered Member

that's not what i'm saying. i believe in god just like you. I was just stating the point that believing in god and following him is not as simple as people think it is.

18. Rickie Registered Member

like i said, the only purpose in life would be that which you want it to be. there would be no great purpose for life itself. for an atheist, believing in a purpose for life without proof or evidence would be irrational wouldn't it?

19. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

Congratulations on finally grasping how to quote properly.

Purpose in life is always self generated wether it is based upon superstition or not. If we have no purpose in life purely because we experience things for a blink of an eye, then maybe there isn't a purpose to life, but then again we still get out of bed in the morning to get on with our day even if we believe that to be true. But finding purpose in life doesn't really need proof unless you are making extravagant claims like God, Heaven, Afterlife, Judgement, etc. and claiming this to be the purpose.

20. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

It just is... what, exactly?

Answer: indistinguishable from their imagination.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Its like explaining the flavor of a fruit you will never taste?

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

So, are you saying gods are tangible and real, like fruit?

And why is that the 'flavor' you refer tastes different amongst theists? So much so, they would disagree with one another over that taste?

Bad analogy, darling.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Intangible and inexplicable like an unknown flavor

Maybe because they use different adjectives to describe the flavor, based on their interpretation of the taste.

I don't think so, er, sweetheart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.