Which One's More Important?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by SuperS32, Jun 17, 2003.

1. SuperS32 Registered Member

I've been shamelessly lurking through this board for about a month now, and I must say, I've enjoyed reading everybody's posts, whether or not I agree or disagree.

With that said, I'd like to get some thoughts on this. Obviously, I have not been here very long, so I'm not sure this has been discussed. But I think this is a question (or questions) most deeply philisophical, or even religious people must answer.

Which is More Important...Happiness or Knowledge? Is "not knowing at all" and being content sometimes better than "knowing everything" and being uncontent?

I get the feeling most of you will answer "Knowledge" simply because..well...you probably wouldn't be here posting on an ezboard philosophy forum if you didn't value knowledge. But i tend to think happiness. Sometimes, we need to step and realize: what's the point? Wouldn't the purpose of trying to find ALL the answers be to, in the long run, make ourselves happy? So what would be the point if all it does is make us unhappy or fustrated and confused?

I feel that some questions are better left unanswered, anyways. For instance, Christianity, as much as everyone here riducules it, actually changes people for the good. But other people need other faiths and beliefs to be at peace with themselves. What would happen if some scientist discovered that the "truth contradicted everything that made them a good person?

Well, I've managed to go a full 360 degrees in my post, yet sound stupid at the same time

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

. Comments?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2003
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

I would say happiness.
    While it is true that knowledge can bring about unnhappiness, it is the quest for a fulfilling, and thereby happy, life that learning is embarked upon.
    Why it would be blissful to be ignorant of the suffering of others and yourself, seeing everything in a rosey hue, that is not how we are wired. We observe things, learn from what we observe, and sometimes that brings with it pain. Were we to be truly apathetic to the strife we see, would we not see ourselve as a part of the source of suffering?
    Knowing may be an unpleasant state at times, but its all we have.
    All we can do is try to learn to be happy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

I would say happiness.
    While it is true that knowledge can bring about unnhappiness, it is the quest for a fulfilling, and thereby happy, life that learning is embarked upon- mephura

well said.....and totally agreed with...i could not have put it better myself....i now stand up from my chair and applaude that statement...................it is done

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I can't have one without the other.
    (that is at least how I feel at this point in my life)

Truth and knowledge IS what makes me happy.
    Even if the truth is not rosy and chipper, the truth makes me happy and content.

The quest for knowledge makes me happy.
    I enjoy learning.
    Even if I never find the end of the road (if it is even possible to find that end) the journey along that road (all the discoveries, joy, pain, difficulty, etc.) makes me happy.

People ofetn complain about how hard life is.
    All the difficulty, hurt, heartache, strife...
    For me, however, those "negative emotions" (I put that in quotes because I don't believe that any emotions are, in fact, negative) are all part of teh experience of life and I wouldn't get rid of them even if I could.

8. Circe Registered Senior Member

Why choose between knowledge and happiness If you can have both?

Welcome to sciforums, Super

9. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Why choose between knowledge and happiness If you can have both?

Welcome to sciforums, Super- circe

ya....same here....welcome good friend....

10. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

I agree. Have both they go hand in hand...though in todays world i doubt that, the more you know the more you realize how fucked up the people in this world are.

But if i had to pick one

Then knowledge ofcourse....as happiness is candies and roses, knowledge is something that keeps your humanity by showing you humility and shattering your pride day by day to make you realize there is somwthing bigger, better and faster than you and always will be.

Oh BTW SuperS32 we all don't come here because we are all knowing and intelligence seeking beings...well not me anyway

11. Guyute Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Why hello Sarge.....it is nice to read from you agian......

12. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

*bows* thank you, thank you...

welcome to the forums Sup...

13. SuperS32 Registered Member

Thanks for the WElcome!

Thank you all for the Pleasant Welcome!

I agree 100% with Mephura. Very well said.

Although I agree with everything else you said (world being f*cked up, humility, etc.), I disagree that happiness is simply "candles and roses". I think its a little deeper than that. When I say "happiness," I mean stuff like inner peace and contentment, not just simple temporary happiness.
    Of course, here begins the whole Buddhism argument as to whether or not everyone can attain true happiness using the exact same method. But we'll save that one for another thread.

Either way, I see happiness as my ultimate goal in life. The minute I reach true, permanent happiness, my only other goal would be to help others achieve it.

But then again, a little knowledge couldn't hurt anyone, right?

Once again thanks for the welcome!

14. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

That has got tobe one of the best threads I have seen in quite a while. Damn good start Super, keep up the good posts.

15. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Which would I say makes me happiest? to know or not know? not knowing gnwas to no end and knowing, while its good when its fresh, sometimes roars all night and there's no way to end it.

So would I rather be happy? Yes. Have I found it? Not really. But I'm happy in finally finding that knowledge is little more than a shield against pseudos and soothsayers, scraps of armor to fend off goths and press-popes that come at you with their pissy slants. (bastards!)

I would much, much rather be happy. Welcome to sciforums SuperS32

16. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Re: Thanks for the WElcome!

Good Luck with that!!!! Others can't achieve happiness if they don't want to and believe me many don't want to be happy...when someone told me that once i looked at them thinking they were a complete moron but now i know that certain people exist who like being in their misery....dreaming of a better life but when that better life comes to them they get scared and run....a prime example...ME.....there are people who want to be happy but when they do get the chance they get so fearful worried that they might be betrayed and end back up in misery.

I wish you good luck with your task....atleast have one happy person on this beautiful planet of ours.

17. soull hybernating Registered Senior Member

like most others, for me both are important and maybe i'd strive more for the former than latter. but then your second ques. makes me wonder if it is not that most of us use (or atleast intend to) knowledge to achieve happiness, in fact to my understanding it is bitter irony for one strives for something that can never be completely attained. a;so, an interesting thing i've come to realise of late is that knowldge on either extreme can be blissful, its only the half baked knowledge that leads to discontentment

18. soull hybernating Registered Senior Member

hmmmm...wonder why that sounds so familiar

makes the two of us