Where would Aliens Land?

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by toltec, Apr 9, 2009.

1. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Here we go

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I thought for a second that this could be an entertaining thread

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Muff Registered Member

Waiting breathlessly for your entertaining input sire!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

No, I think a country that has myth and superstition would be perfect. For all we know, Bigfoot is an alien.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

So? It's the only way they'd respect us. Ants and anthills.

8. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Now, that's more like it.

We can read Q and SAM go round en masse. This thread is more suited for a finely crafted sock such as yourself.

Now dance, Jester, lest we expose you in full.

9. orcot Valued Senior Member

they say their hello's from orbit where they can do it without space suits. Say their intentions and see the invitations role in, then they send multiple ambassadors out.

10. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Yeah, actually that would be by far the best way to do it. If they actually know about us as the OP states, they would know that simply landing unannounced/uninvited would be a BAD idea.

Anyone see The Day the Earth Stood Still? It was annoying as hell, because although the aliens had supposedly been studying us for decades, they thought it would be a good idea to come screaming in at near the speed of light, making everyone think that they were about to vaporize a city, not send any kind of communication explaining who they were or what they wanted. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense

11. draqon Banned Banned

if Aliens would land anywhere it would be on Nasor's house.

12. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Why do you assume that we would be like ants to them? Maybe they will arrive after spending 30 years traveling here in a fusion-powered starship that operates on principles our current physics understands, almost out of supplies and desperate for any new company after such a long trip (even if the company is weird earthlings).

13. Nasor Valued Senior Member

You're just pissed that the aliens don't want to let you use their advanced technology to set up a police state where everyone has a behavior-monitoring chip implanted in their head.

14. draqon Banned Banned

go back to that thread and realize that I have been, am, and will be always an advocate against behavior-monitoring chips in our bodies.

15. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Hahaha. I haven't even looked in that thread, and I wasn't thinking of it when I wrote that. I was just basing it on your general "lets set up a police state and start executing litterers" mentality. I guess it's good to know that even you have some limits.

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

But what if the aliens were the size of bacteria, how will we know they have even landed anywhere! Then again what if they were the size of Jupiter and if their ship landed on the Earth it would destroy it! They also could have bad breath and destroy us with just a gust of their breathing.Many problems with them aliens, let them stay away from here!

17. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

What kind of company are we talking here?

Anyway, why would you come all that way just to say "Hey, what's up, dude?"

18. draqon Banned Banned

think about this one...what if aliens were so big...bigger than jupiter bigger than solar system...in fact bigger than universe that the universe was part of them. Would we still miss them? wouldnt we.

19. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

I'm going to go with: the ground.

Seriously though: shouldn't this be in the Pseudoscience subforum?

20. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Where would we land if we found another intelligent planet? Probably stay around it's area for a while negotiating a landing point, which would most likely end up being near the capital of the most powerful country.

Seems pretty logical that the aliens would most likely land somewhere that Obama could get to quickly if they were a peaceful lot.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

that's a good point cosmic. Why do we always assume aliens are our size or larger.

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Absolutely. A point made interestingly enough in the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" where two species were warring each other in a massive intergalactic war decided to travel to earth and destroy it, but on arrival both star ship war fleets were accidentally eaten by a dog.

23. draqon Banned Banned

Actually if it were us and we detected an alien civilization....would we even land? :bugeye: I am saying this because, look at how we are approaching the universe now. We are not actually going to Mars, Jupiter, and moon Titan...nope, we are sending countless probes and satellites to do it for us, so that we are fully safe and protected well.

So when you say we will land...will we even? I mean we will be observers for quite a long time.