Where is the Disorder

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Willem, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Willem Banned Banned

A tree is ordered. Where is its greater disorder demanded by the second law of thermodynamics.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

In the products of its respiration.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Don't forget two things:

Life can hold back entropy, but
    - only locally. All life gets its energy from the sun. It must be included in the system.

- only temporarily. The tree will die, and its components will be dispersed. The energy that is has absorbed from the sun will be redistributed as decay products that have less available energy than the original sunlight.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Willem Banned Banned

Won't the entropy of the Oxygen produced be smaller than the trees entropy?

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

You cannot isolate a single element of a system and then speak meaningfully of its entropy.
    Increasing entropy is only meaningful in terms of closed systems (i.e. you must include all elements involved).

9. Willem Banned Banned

You can say a tree produces Oxygen in a ordered fractal way and that it goes to disorder later.

10. NotEinstein Valued Senior Member

You could say that, but you'd be categorically wrong: trees don't produce anything in an ordered fractal: nothing does.

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I think perhaps you don't understand thermodynamics or entropy or chaos theory very well.
    If you'd like me to explain anything in posts 3 or 5, let me know.

12. exchemist Valued Senior Member

For a start you are muddling up respiration with photosynthesis. A tree's respiration produces CO2 and water, from glucose and oxygen, just as yours and mine does.

Photosynthesis (which produces oxygen) has a different input: sunlight. This is a low entropy form of energy (because it consists of photons from the surface of the sun at >5000K: remember S=Q/T, so high temperature energy has low entropy). So the entropy balance for photosynthesis is a different thing.

Respiration releases low temperature (i.e. high entropy) heat to the environment, as well as small molecules which tend to have higher entropy than large ones, per atom.

Both processes proceeds with an increase of overall entropy.

(I am now wondering if you are some sort of closet creationist. You seem determined to find a cause for everything and now start to question the entropy change in the growth of living things.)

origin likes this.
  13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Branches and leaves?

Note, I am not demonstrating any fractally ordered oxygen production, which is wholly dependent on exposure to light.

In fact energy production is facilitated by "quorum sensing" .

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  14. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Like every other living thing it is not 100% efficient at converting energy which means trees increase the entropy of the universe.

15. NotEinstein Valued Senior Member

(Sorry I wasn't clear enough for you. I was assuming Willem was using the word "fractal" with the mainstream definition, and not some custom Write4U-defined version of it.)

16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Energy is decreased over time. That's entropy. It applies to trees and universes and any closed system.

17. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Energy remains the same

Disorder increases

Eventually the total Universe will be so disordered and energy so thinly spread, so to speak, it will not be able to organise any form of order

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Total energy stays the same. Energy in one place decreases. The heat of an object decreases.

19. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Agree

Eventually Universe will be a uniform temperature so, as I understand such a situation, with no variation, no flow can occur, equals no work able to be performed.

Question. With matter down to atom size and, extrapolation from current observations, traveling close to light speed, would a accidental collision with another atom set off a "spark" which, surrounded by a level uniform temperature, send out ripples igniting another atoms to become another explosions becoming another Galaxies?

Welcome to Michael345 Cosmology

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Entropy change is energy change divided by temperature: ΔS=ΔQ/T . In effect, low temperature heat has more entropy than the same amount of high temperature heat. What runs down is not the amount of heat, necessarily, but its temperature.

21. Willem Banned Banned

Yes I am. I can prove evolution wrong by invoking esthetics.

22. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Whoa, good call exchemist! I did not see that coming I thought he was just a regular nutter not a fundy driven nutter.

23. NotEinstein Valued Senior Member

exchemist likes this.