Where Are Huge Fossils Forming?

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience Archive' started by IceAgeCivilizations, Apr 28, 2007.

1. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

IAC, You seem to lack fundamental knowledge in the basics which in turn is manifesting into misunderstanding. Lets learn about fossils today..

This it a bit taken from Bill Bryson`s, a short history of nearly everything:

Let me know if you want a copy of the book.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Nobody has yet shown where large creatures are being entombed and lithified into fossils today.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Did you even read what I responded?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

It's happening every day, in the right places with the right conditions, at the rate of about one bone per billion, of course you won't see the results, for millions of years.

8. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Even if he did, he refuses to believe it; to him, fossilisation occured during the great flood just a few thousand years ago.

9. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Huge creatures need to be covered with sediment rapidly, so they aren't completely scavenged and decayed away, so where is this happening today?

So where are huge creatures being covered with sediments to soon thereafter be lithified for retention of the morphological integrity of the fossil?

10. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Again: anywhere there's flash floods and huge sedimentation.

11. P. BOOM! Registered Senior Member

underneath New Orleans right now...it's on top of a huge sediment pile that is slowly consolidating.

12. w1z4rd Valued Senior Member

Ja nee. Jy is slim soos n dom vark meneer.

13. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Where is that causing large animals to disappear, never to be seen again, to soon lithify into fossils, before the creatures degrade away?

14. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Here's something for you:

A Fossil Map Turtle (Graptemys pseudogeographica) from Central Michigan Richard L. Wilson. Copeia, Vol. 1966, No. 2 (Jun. 21, 1966), pp. 368-369

This is a currently extant species, yet was found as a fossilized form. Ergo, recent.

As for the process of fossilization:

http://www.texaspaleo.com/psa/newsletter/2004/2004-06.pdf

15. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Did you know that 99% of the fossils in the vast sedimentary layers on the continents are marine creatures, hmmmm, I wonder how that happened?

16. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

The dinosaur fossils in the Morrision were not just caused by landslides. They were also caused by dinos getting stuck in ol' mudholes.

Cleveland-Lloyd Quarry, Utah: First excavated by Lee Stokes in 1937. In the Jurassic, the quarry was a mudhole where several enormous sauropods got stuck and apparently caused a feeding frenzy that lured and trapped many carnivorous dinosaurs. Most of the allosaurs are from this site, as well as the unique Stokesosaurus and Marshosaurus.

Also, many of the fossils were fossilized on the bottom of lakes:

Fossilization is actually a rare occurrence because most components of formerly-living things tend to decompose relatively quickly following death. In order for an organism to be fossilized, the remains normally need to be covered by sediment as soon as possible. However there are exceptions to this, such as if an organism becomes frozen, desiccated, or comes to rest in an anoxic (oxygen-free) environment such as at the bottom of a lake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossil

17. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Where is that happening today to large creatures?

18. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

First, I don't know that that's true since I haven't seen your link, and second: simple. I would assume many of them are invertebrates, no? They have shells rather than bones, and there are many, many, many more of them than larger organisms on land or in the sea. Second: as per NDS's post - many of them probably sank into oxygen-deplete depths. Mass dieoffs are far more likely at sea, too, because of red tides and the like.

19. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Again: check my link. Process of fossilization. It's recognized.

I suggest also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithification

20. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

As I've told you millions of times before, fossilization is an extremely rare event. How often do you see elephants getting stuck in mudholes? Not too often. Humans have only been looking at fossils for 200 years. 200.

The earth has been around for billions of years.

You do the math.

21. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

So it's not happening today to large creatures, good, we agree, now what were the conditions when vast layers of sediments entombed billions of creatures, 99% of which were marine creatures?

22. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

IAC, I find it odd that you keep bringing up the fact that 99% of fossils are marine creatures.

The fact that 99% of fossils are marine creatures clearly proves an old earth, evolutionary model, not a Global Deluge.
    (Actually it is 95%, based on your own website - http://www.genesisveracity.com/Articles/Article2.htm. Interesting how you inflated the number to 99% on this forum.)

Now, if the fossil record showed millions of land vertebrate animals mixed together all in one layer with fish, humans, birds, dinosaurs, etc., then that would constitute as good evidence for a Global Deluge.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  23. NDS NDS Registered Senior Member

LOL. Yeah, I know, IAC. You are that big of a joke.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yes, IAC, it probably isn't happening today (April 28, 2007) , and the next time it happens (an elephant gets stuck in a mudhole, landslide, etc.) may not be until 10,000 years from now (which of course is like the blink of an eye in terms of total earth time).

It's all an odds game, my good friend Ice.