Whats the best stock to invest in

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by Quigly, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

So I am wondering what the best stock is to invest in. Anybody here good at stocks? Is it better to just invest in real estate?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

Enron is gold, Salon.com is also very hot at the moment...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

Boy, I guess I am glad your not my stock broker. I would be just that. Stock B-R-O-K-E.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Enron is five cents. Just think.. if you invest $500 and it goes up to ten cents, you double your money!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Invest in real estate, much better than stocks IMO. If you do get into stocks remember that there's a 30 percent tax if you sell your stock before 10 years that you have to take into consideration and there's a fee of about 5 to 10 percent to the brokerage firm that does your trading for you. That means you have to make at least a 50 percent increase in value of your stock to pay off all the debts and have a little something left over for your troubles. Is it really worth it?

9. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

I didn't know there was a 30% tax on the money, that is pretty stupid. That is like playing the lottery huh. It is horrible chances of winning and then if you do when, so does the government, but if you lose, the government still wins, because it hasn't lost anything. Weird...

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Yep, but that's the stock market. It is really a BIG GAMBLE and I don't trust it whatsoever. The stock brokers can use inside trading to take advantage of people anytime they want. It is better to go to Las Vegas, at least when you get screwed there your having fun!

11. Slaughterist Mayhem Activist Registered Senior Member

That's not correct. If your stock went up 50% in value you would be taxed at your normal federal tax rate for the 50% increase in value. If you hold it for longer than 1 year or 5 years you can get successive decreases in your tax rate.
    http://www.fool.com/taxes/2001/taxes010105.htm

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If your ordinary income tax bracket is greater than 15%:
    Capital Gains on assets held for a year or less are taxed at your ordinary income tax rate (anywhere from 28% to 39.6%, depending on your specific ordinary tax rate).

Capital Gains on assets held for more than a year are taxed at a reduced tax rate of 20%.

Capital Gains on assets held for more than five years are taxed at a reduced rate of 18%, but only if the assets were purchased on or after January 1, 2001. Assets purchased before January 1, 2001 that fall into this holding-period range are still taxed at the 20% long-term rate. (More on this in a moment

13. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

The most sensible way to play the stock market is not to.

Other than that, banks and armaments companies are often good. Failing that, basic utilities are also a good idea, nobody can do without their water supply now can they? However, all this depends upon the local performance of hte companies in quesiton. The best thing ot do is invest a vast sum of money in a kind of all stocks spread. It has been shown that that outperforms all managed portfolios, because it follows the entire market, and doesnt require fiddling about with. Then the trick is to sell out near the top of a bubble and not get carried away. It also helps if you ride out several stock market ups and downs, ie follow it for 40 years, since the evidence so far is that over that sort of period of time it will end up higher than it was at the beggining.

14. Slaughterist Mayhem Activist Registered Senior Member

You don't need a 50% increase in value of your stocks to make money. Only the capital gains are taxed, so you CANNOT say 50% capital gain - 30% taxes = 20% net profit. If you invest $100 and then it increase to $150 dollars only the $50 capital gain is taxed. Using your figures the entire value of the stock would be taxed. Using a capital gains rax rate of 30% you pat 30% of $50 dollars, or $15 tax. You still make a $35 dollar net profit.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2003
  15. candy Valued Senior Member

Best stock to invest in Berkshire Hathaway.

16. Mucker Great View! Registered Senior Member

Stock cubes, invest in them!

17. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

candy, would you buy me 1 share of that?? =)

18. candy Valued Senior Member

The best is never cheap.

19. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Well, some are. I have been following a stock for two years or so (not exactly sure). I first saw them at like $2 per share... then went all the way to $0.15 a share. Then a trend started to happen... a guy would buy a shit load of stock, it would raise the price per share a lot, then he would sell.. he made a killing of a profit. I told my dad about this stock way before this happened... he invested at $0.30.. he sold at $1.20.

The stock? SPDV. Company called SpaceDev.

But investing in stocks like this are risky.. but if the right risk is taken, there is money to be made

20. Halo Full Time Nerd-Bomber Registered Senior Member

You can get any online broker that doesn't charge a percentage. Hell, most charge a flat rate of $8-$20, Etrade being the expensive one. I can't believe you guys are saying don't invest in stocks. If you take the time to research, you will do fine. Stocks can average about 9-11 percent annually which is alot better than a regular savings account. Although riskier, the stock market for the most part follows a trend (ups and downs) so investing wouldn't be a complete gamble. If you're young, then you really have nothing to lose. Risky is perfectly fine in my eyes. Since I am only 24 (25 soon

) I figure I could take a risk. If I do good I can retire early. If I do bad, big hooha I am right beside everyone else that doesn't invest. And real estate requires money, lots of it. For the average investor stocks would be a very viable investment.

In only 3 quarters I made $5000. How? Research and patience. One other note, don't depend on others to tell you what stocks are "good". If you want the payout, you gotta do the work. And anyways, stocks fluctuate so what's good today can be shit tomorrow.

21. candy Valued Senior Member

If you are serious about investing in stocks you might want to consider a good No-Load mutual fund to reduce your risk and get the benefit of a professional stock picker.

22. testify Look, a puppy! Registered Senior Member

What market are you planning on trading on?

23. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

I have hope in the Nasdaq. Is that what you mean?