What would you do & what would you not do to avoid going to hell?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by StrangerInAStrangeLand, Apr 13, 2009.

1. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

You should be locked & cesspooled.
    What the heck is your problems? Never mind, don't answer. Your answer would only be unproductive bullshit & pointless baiting.
    Obviously it sometimes takes 1 to not know 1.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

What if twisting words around to SEEM to justify yourself was logical?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

You know I'm atheist, right?

What if educated Christians don't believe what you think they do?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. swarm Registered Senior Member

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Irrelevant.

Off topic.

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Tell more: Why do you think the situation is basically unfair?
    Do you think you could kill God?

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Well, it all depends on what the disagreement is about, no?

11. takandjive Killer Queen Registered Senior Member

I don't think simple disagreement is enough to warrant eternal suffering, ever. By nature, I don't trust a god like that. We're describing the behavior of a serial killer.

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Like I said - Well, it all depends on what the disagreement is about, no?

What disagreement do you have in mind?

13. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

No. It doesn't depend on what the disagreement is about.

14. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

So, for example, you think you should be free to disagree with God about who rules the Universe, and suffer no adverse consequences for this disagreement?

15. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

I know that I should not be punished by anyone, anytime, anyplace for disagreeing about anything.

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

How do you know that?

17. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't abandon my children for gods or pleasant second lives. If typical christian statements stand up then you'll find hardly anyone that doesn't have a loved one that isn't destined to hell. In saying, it doesn't matter where you are - you still suffer for eternity.

If you go to hell you will have eternal physical suffering, if you go to heaven you'll have eternal mental suffering knowing that your loved ones have an eternity of physical suffering. I'd rather be with them.

18. lightgigantic Banned Banned

you don't have a choice

death visits everyone equally and brings the issue of "abandonment" to the table of all
    if we are working out of an understanding that the familial bonds of this life are eternal, sure.
    I would concede that the notion of eternal hell poses serious ethical issues that a temporary hell doesn't.

hehe

and family life and duty is what?

a bed of roses?

(seems like you're still screwed)

19. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

20. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

“ Originally Posted by SnakeLord
    I wouldn't abandon my children for gods or pleasant second lives. ”

The thread topic is not about whether you have a choice or whether you're screwed no matter what or whether you can clearly answer the question.

21. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Christians claim in heaven you won't know, remember or be affected by that.

22. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

I see. So once mortal life ends, free will also ends? Free will is just some temporary thing that we get in this life but is recinded in the next? From biblical texts it would seem that even entities that don't die, (angels), still have free will intact unless the christian is willing to assert that satans actions weren't of his own doing.

Well, if we instead work out of the understanding that once you're in your next life nobody from this one means anything to you then frankly I fail to see any value in the concept.

Take that up with the christians.

I suppose that depends who you are and where you're from. To me, right here - it is everything. I suppose in some places kids and family are merely there to go fetch the water for you and dig up the food.

----

The claim does not help the christians. This god will know that if I remembered I would do anything to be with my children. It is grand deception to keep information that I would want to know from me merely so I can stay and serve him.

If I am instantly changed from a person that knows, remembers and has total absolute love for my children to one that doesn't even remember or care about them, then I fail to see the value in the whole thing in the first place. You're going to be some entity completely unaware of ever having existed, in a realm serving some entity without any free will. There's no point to mortal life having ever existed.

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Snakelord
    I'm not sure I follow. Free will does not mean unlimited will.

I mean just because you require to breathe air (as opposed to water) doesn't mean that you have no free will. Rather, it suggests that free will is utilized in a particular environment.
    why not?

Although there may be a difference in the manner of paternal/fraternal relationships according to gender, society or even species, you can see that everyone (at least above a certain level on the evolutionary chain) has the opportunity (in principle) to have a mother/father/spring/ wider community to operate of/etc etc.

I mean its not like you chose your relatives or your offspring.
    One can also take it up with atheists who insist of operating out of such a paradigm to maintain the status quo.
    My point was that it also involves regular visits of mental suffering, so trying to distinguish it as the standard of life in heaven doesn't accomplish anything.

Even old people in the homes who are incapable of really exercising any of the standards of familial duty are chewed up by mental suffering at the hands of the family bond.

IOW you don't have to wait to go to heaven to be (apparently) up to your neck in mental anguish over family members. You can have more than enough right here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!