What will the world be like in 2020?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Combine, Dec 7, 2004.

1. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

This dude will own the world.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. bob-bobby Born Again ;) Registered Senior Member

if he still remains alive by then ...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

books will never go away.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KOE Registered Senior Member

Its possible today. Several games can handle more then 5000 people on a server-cluster. For example Eve-Online (www.eve-online.com) has had 12000 people on a single server-cluster. VR would not increase the stain on a server (the server would still be making the salme calcuations as before), it would be a enduser hardware requirement. And 3D VR is also around today, even if its somewhat expensive for the general public.

Personal Aircraft are affordable for professinals today, around 100k-150k USD. But I do not see cars being replaced for quite a while. I think most people would be afraid of of switching, so it's not happening anytime soon.

8. Nuttyfish Guest

The internet will be available in book form

9. SoLiDUS OMGWTFBBQ Registered Senior Member

10. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

It will be very much the same as it is now... just much more boring.

11. ajanta Registered Senior Member

Its really interesting ! Now 4 years left to 2020. And about 2020+ ?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  12. ajanta Registered Senior Member

13. Yazata Valued Senior Member

This thread started in 2004, 16 years away from 2020. Now it's 2016, just 4 years away. So we can start to test the predictions.

Not even close. The United States no longer has a manned space program to speak of. China has developed a capacity to put people into orbit with Russian assistance, but only simple 60's-style capsules. Humans are probably farther away from going to Mars or even returning to the Moon than we were in 2004.

Virtual reality is coming real soon, just around the corner, just like it was in 2004. No dramatic developments in that regard.

The Middle East is still in an uproar. Nothing much has changed in that regard.

Nothing like that.

Every teen has got a cell-phone, which is all that matters to them. I guess that omnipresent I-phones are supposed to make up for the fact that in just about every other way, the future never happened. I think that it's kind of sad, actually.

ajanta likes this.
  14. Edont Knoff Registered Senior Member

Even tighter coupling humans to virtual reality, further loss of interest in real reality.