What will inspire today's kids?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Syzygys, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Dredd Dredd Registered Senior Member

You mean inspire them to be scientists, physicists?

Perhaps if they knew it was the oldest profession, they would take some interest? :shrug:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

I thought this was a philosophical question and hadnt noticed it was in science section.

There are so many things to discover, of course this is somewhat difficult to gauge because we are unaware of most\many of them. Then there are also plenty we are aware of and can readily visualize.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

curing diseases
    environmental issues
    finding Atlantis
    alternate sources of energy

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

I dont see how being a kid today is any different, in this regard from when we were kids. I think syszygy and i are aroudn the same age. Some, well most, internet blogs hammered out by miserable underachievers is one difference though.

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

so you are one of the happy overachievers then??

9. John99 Banned Banned

it depends on the day.

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Back then, there was the moon, or living in space for extended period of time. Now if you have money you can be a spacetourist. I won't even mention the internet and instant communication or how much games or healthcare improved.

As mentioned in the first post, lots of things have been already discovered (hell, if you have money, you can visit Titanic at the bottom of the ocean), not much left to dream about what actually can be done.

I don't really see going to Mars as an inspiration, because excepot the longer traveltime, it is pretty much the same as the Moon landing, been there, done that.

So again, I just don't see what would little kids get crazy about so they would chose it as a profession. Sports? Back then sport was the way to travel and achieve things (at least in the East) nowadays you can do the same with much less effort.

11. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

Pokemon, high school musical, Hannah Montana, maybe even south park..

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Those are influences, not inspirations, except Hannah Montana who makes 60 millions a year.

13. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

HAHA...I was thinking around the same lines. Honestly kids these days don't really give a shit about saving the planet or anything else.

They care about.... Ipods, MSN/Yahoo, Trendy Clothes, Video Games...and most importantly THEMSELVES.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

That's what I thought and that's why I asked the question. Can you ask YOUR kids what or who is an inspiration for them?

15. Pinwheel Banned Banned

So is prostitution but I dont think we want them doing that.

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Will do, and I will get back to you with an answer.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. desi Valued Senior Member

The older most kids get the less noble their aspirations seem to be. Sadly, the ones motivated to do good tend to end up joining the military, where they do good for companies like Haliburton.

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Still waiting....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!