What will cause human's extinction?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Saint, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Haven't seen it/heard of it. If it's very long I won't be able to watch it. I doze off a lot when I'm on percocets.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

They all have "Cloverfield" in the title.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Seriously though, the films are tied together - they're the same "universe".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

They have a site: https://www.iter.org/

Apparently the project is funded by at least 35 countries.

What would make the documentary even funkier is you might want to watch this one first.

Write4U likes this.
  8. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Okay......

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Along with 10 Cloverfield Lane.

I found it hard to believe too, but there you go.

10. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

That's silly.

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

What is?
    A three-quel?

12. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

No, the bastardized "connection" between the three.

13. Write4U Valued Senior Member

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

In the near term, the main serious threat is self-destruction by one means or another. Nuclear or biological warfare, for example. Maybe even a biological accident of the wrong kind. Another potential threat is meteor impact - like the one that took the dinosaurs out.

In the somewhat longer term, there are other methods of self-destruction that might do the trick, like continuing to mess with the climate of the planet. However, the slope to extinction in that case would be very long and slow. Before extinction, there would like be a long period of mass suffering and diminishment of the human population on Earth.

In the much longer term, maybe the Sun will kill us all, as it heats up, eventually boiling the oceans and then consuming the Earth as a whole. I would hope that some of us will have moved elsewhere before that happens, though.

There will no doubt come a point where the term Homo sapiens is no longer applicable to the descendents of today's human beings. Barring some catastrophe, we will probably alter ourselves physically and mentally. And if we don't do it ourselves, evolution will do the job for us.

Oh, and I forgot alien invasion.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Write4U likes this.
  15. Capracus Registered Senior Member

Unfortunately, more often for other species than ourselves, we have been, and continue to be the hand of evolution when it comes to extinction.

The Holocene extinction, otherwise referred to as the Sixth extinction or Anthropocene extinction, is the ongoing extinction event of species during the present Holocene epoch, mainly as a result of human activity. The large number of extinctions spans numerous families of plants and animals, including mammals, birds, amphibians, reptiles and arthropods. With widespread degradation of highly biodiverse habitats such as coral reefs and rainforests, as well as other areas, the vast majority of these extinctions are thought to be undocumented, as no one is even aware of the existence of the species before they go extinct, or no one has yet discovered their extinction. The current rate of extinction of species is estimated at 100 to 1,000 times higher than natural background rates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction

Barring some cosmic catastrophe or occurrence of technology gone wild, I believe we will eventually engineer ourselves into an existence that is not dependent on the resources of the Earth for survival, and if so inclined, will possibly be able to do a reset on all of the extinctions cause by their ancestors.

Write4U likes this.