What WARS has America ever won on its own ?

Discussion in 'History' started by Brian Foley, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Yup. You can even look at the examples Hercules gave and they go back and forth between the same countries.

What peace treaties? Those examples listed above are way greater than the amount of wars we've officially been involved in. That's not even being good 50% of the time, heh. The scandals and covert things we've done far outnumber any peace deals we've done in the past.

- N

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. candy Valued Senior Member

For all of her flaws I can not think of a major country with a better track record at giving fair terms to the losing side in a war than the US.
    That the politicans have meddled where they should not can be said of all the major players. No country has a perfect record in it's dealings with other countries. Does the US do better when it stays out of the internal affairs of others? I think it does but when there is no US aid in times of need someone is screaming how selfish the US is. People are not perfect. Why would you expect nations to be perfect? Countries are driven by the same motives as individuals. Sometimes what is seen as good for the national interest is every bit as selfish as what is seen as being good for one individual at the expense of another.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

And it is not that hercules mentioned all 'war crimes' (lack of a better word) commited in more recent history by the US. It's the short list.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

What about the Mexican-American War, 1846-48? At that time, Mexico was certainly not at the "bottom of the barrel". It was a strong country with a well-trained and well-equipped army. The US Army beat them in the span of two years, losing only one major battle.

8. candy Valued Senior Member

I suspect that if you started compiling lists of for lack of a better term "crimes againist humanity" of all nations the US would not have the longest list.

As super powers go the US is not so bad as others have been.

9. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

wikipedia
    As for a current superpower, the USA surely is not as bad as the others have been.

There was only one other has been superpower, the Soviet Union.

You were better than the soviet Union.

Bring out the flags and fireworks.

Because that must have been a difficult feat.

EDIT:

I don't find the anything on the list excusable.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  10. candy Valued Senior Member

The problem is not excusability but repetition. Unfortunately the US keeps shooting itself in the foot with stupid acts liking the recent attack in Pakistan. Hopefully we get over this strike back mentality before too many more people are killed. The US is capable of much better leadership to enhance individual liberty.

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

You are just being sarcastic aren't you?

You had me going for a while.

12. mountainhare Banned Banned

Quarkmoon:
    The Soviets were taking casualties fast... it didn't matter. Their advantage was in sheer numbers. They could have easily kept the Germans occupied while the Allies stage an invasion.

I'm not attempting to 'downplay' anything. And once again, it's an ad-hom to attempt to refute an argument by attacking the person himself.

Ad hom.

Which is why an oil embargo was placed on Japan... which is why when FDR July 25, 1941, ordered the freezing all Japanese assets on July 25th 1941, Japan lost its oil imports. I guess that was just a bonus side effect.

Which is why you yourself claimed that FDR imposed the oil embargo on Japan to help the allies. Remember this?

I have you on record stating that...

1. FDR cut off Japan's oil supply to help the Allies.

2. FDR wanted to declare war on the Axis, but the Republicans and some democrats wouldn't let him.

Yes it was. As you yourself admitted, FDR wanted to, but the Republicans and some Democrats prevented him from doing so.

Nonsense. What ever happened to you bragging about sending the Allies millions of troops, top notch equipment, and billions of dollars?

Japan got desperate after you cut off its lifeline...

Whoops, me bad. I meant the northwestern coast. I get mixed up between east and west sometimes.

A quick strike against the northwestern coast of the U.S of A could have caused quite a bit of havoc. And then the Japs could have went back past Pearl Harbour. Trying to rebuild, eh? *POW*

Wow, the East Indies! Quite simply, Japan received 80% of its oil from America. If America lost 80% of its oil imports today, what would happen to its economy? And if America was at war, how would this dramatic drop in their oil imports affect their war machine?

That's right...

Why? Do you think that the Americans won the war by themselves?

Now who's revising history?

13. QuarkMoon I Registered Senior Member

Again, you continue to downplay the affect of the aid. It gave the Soviets a fighting chance, sheer numbers can only buy so much time. The equipment lent by the U.S. and the money used to manufacture more Soviet arms helped them succeed.

Who's refuting anything with personal attacks? I'm responding to your "points" the same as you. The "personal attacks" are just obvious observations I've made about you.

And that shows your lack of knowledge. FDR knew that an oil embargo might urge an attack (a sentiment I don't agree with), which is what he told his cabinet. Dean Acheson drew up the embargo that way, not FDR (look up Dean Acheson if you don't know who he is - although you should if you know anything about U.S. history).

It was my mistake. I was referring to the steel embargos, I wasn't thinking straight so I guess I deserve that.

I deserve that.

Very true.

And FDR represents all of the U.S.? When I say the U.S. was intent on not joining the war, I'm referring to the people. But even the politicians were against it as well except FDR because (in my opinion) he was on a higher level of thinking.

Don't twist my words. You know I mean before the U.S. declared war. The World was not aware of our overwhelming might until the people finally authorized FDR to declare war.

Way to ignore my point only to repeat the argument point I was refuting. The attack was not solely for oil, they had plans of granduer.

Fair enough.

Agreed. However, a flight across the entire Pacific to get to our West Coast would have surely been detected? Hawaii is pretty far away, and there wasn't many ways to detect an oncoming attack in the waters between Japan and Hawaii.

Yes, when you don't include the East Indies. The situation wasn't as desperate as you make it out to be. As I have already showed, they had much larger plans than just oil.

When did I ever say that? The United States did not win WWII by themselves, and to state such a thing would be outrageous. However, I do contend that the U.S. played a huge role in the war. Just think if the U.S. decided to side with the Germans.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

Oh yeah a nation that had never fought a war before , and since its independence in 1823 was run like a banana republic heavily in debt and corruption . And its armies made up of disgruntled metizo's and Indians who were despised by the ruling whites .
    As I said if you want to scrape the bottom of the barrel .

15. vincent Sir Vincent, knighted by HM Registered Senior Member

Walnut what wars are going on inside your head, thats what i want to know, your at war with the americans the jews, what are you a anarchist, walnut.