What turned WWI?

Discussion in 'History' started by Omega133, May 5, 2010.

1. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

So you based your entire argument on one curt reply to someone who posted something rather silly, and didn't bother to read anything I said subsequently? *sigh*

I agree with you that Commonwealth soldiers made a difference. I disagree as to the extent of that difference on the eventual outcome of the war. I don't think that a loss would have been definite - a possibility, yes.

Where we do agree is in your last two lines.
    Mind you, I mentioned it earlier. So there.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sweet Pentax Registered Senior Member

yeah, canadian are the übersoldiers .... whatever.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

8. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

It's an over the top reaction yes. You maybe don't understand what it's like to have our substantial contributions in WWI (and WWII) completely ignored by everyone. (Except the Dutch.)

9. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

I understand it quite well - I'm Australian, remember?

I simply don't see it as an excuse to completely rearrange the facts to suit a parochial view, particularly not when those facts have been pointed out to him on more than one occasion and been ignored in favour of a personal self-deception. Not only that, but I have given him ample opportunity to view the situation from a perspective he obviously hadn't considered, and was completely ignored.

As I said, in this post and prior to it, I am Australian and have had the story of Gallipoli told to me a thousand times. What I learned growing up, though, and the actual events as they transpired are not the same thing at all.
    If you want to study a historical situation thoroughly, approaching it from such a narrow perspective is a mistake. I've been prone to it myself on occasion; at least, though, I am aware of it and am able to adjust my viewpoint accordingly when warranted.

10. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Dude I did not rearrange anything and yes I do approach the things I study with an open mind. The reason I did the Wikipedia posts was for the sake of speed I read them and they were in line with what I already knew as Fact. In the day before the terrorism a Canadian could proudly display their country flag. In Europe and they would be greeted with open arms I know this as Fact I experienced it personally. And the main reason that people would give was the fact that in Both wars Canada was instrumental in the success of so many battles as a country not as a part of the British forces. WW1 was the first war the Canadian Expeditionary forces fought as a country. And if you bothered to read my first post I said that once Canada was able to fight as a Country and they were turned loose they were and are a formidable force. We may not have the money for the fancy ass planes and the radar guided missiles but one on one we can and well kick mosts peoples asses.

11. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

And yes it was an over the top reaction but like you I am sick and tried of everybody saying Canada made little to no contribution to any of the magor wars. When knowing full well we did.

12. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

13. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

I tend to read books, Reaper. They're those more detailed things made from paper, which have unfortunately gone completely out of fashion these days.

In the interest of fairness, though, I did read that link. It certainly shows a more accurate view of things than you do. Or, at least, doesn't paint the Algerians as cowards for refusing to die on the spot, nor does it trumpet that WW1 would have been lost without Canada.

Your first post said Canada won the war, reaper. You can't go around trying to pretend otherwise.

Perhaps you should read it before posting next time. I don't pretend that it would help your powers of understanding or critical analysis, but at least those "facts" would be right.
    Imagine how you'd feel if you were an Algerian right now, having some little twerp refer to you as French cowards for not staying to fight with the heroic Candadians after you'd been gassed and they hadn't. Any idea yet why you were roundly criticised?

14. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

Yes I realize Books are things made of Paper, kinda hard to post them on the INTERNET though would you not agree. And yes the Cowards were the ones that ran and are always the ones that run when the going gets bad. And yes the Canadians where gassed I do not really care what books you have read until you post your facts on this forum they are merely speculation and rantings of a in your words little Twerp. And yes perhaps I should have said the Canadians were a significant contributor to the end of the war. And I suggest you use spell check next time you post something as you had Canadians spelled incorrectly.

15. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

If we suggest some books - will you even read them, make an attempt to find them?

They are almost exclusively written by Canadians and you would no doubt make the claim of incredible Bias. No one else really gives a shit about what the Canadians did in either war, so why would they write their history?

16. soullust Registered Senior Member

Canada played a huge role in both WWars, and our boys took places that the british and americans couldn't, (they tried Both of them.)

17. Omega133 Aus der Dunkelheit Valued Senior Member

Canada did alot during the war. I don't know how someone could say they weren't a deciding factor because all nations were played a huge part of the war.