What Makes A Good Person?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by mis-t-highs, Oct 27, 2004.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Humans were made good, but humans also have a dualist mind.
    God is perfection.

Humans are finite, God is infinite.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

TruthSeeker: Humans were made good, but humans also have a dualist mind. Humans are finite, God is infinite.
    M*W: Please explain your concept of God and why God is infinite. No Bible scripture... please!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Mmh, a good person...

Great, so this is a matter of religion?

No religion in this definition, and there are many more. So I suppose many people can be considered good. So, a christian can be good, but a mean satan worshipping manager can also be good...

What makes a good person? I would say rhetoric.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. philocrazy Banned Banned

a person

philosopher philocrazy
    the one that is a person

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Well... if He is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent... I guess He IS infinite.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I can't remember now what I read in Descartes' third meditation..... but he talks about that. I think it has something to do with the idea of God being inconceivable to an imperfect being. In other words... the idea of God can only come from God Himself... Something like that...

9. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

TruthSeeker: Well... if He is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent... I guess He IS infinite.

M*W: You think, but you do not know.
    TruthSeeker: I can't remember now what I read in Descartes' third meditation..... but he talks about that. I think it has something to do with the idea of God being inconceivable to an imperfect being. In other words... the idea of God can only come from God Himself... Something like that...

M*W: It doesn't matter what Descartes said. He was a philosopher. He said whatever was convenient. The fact is that we are not 'imperfect beings.' The idea of God does not necessarily come from God himself, but from the human mind who has an innate desire to believe in an higher power. That doesn't make it true, real or right. Humans have a need to know an all powerful, all knowing, all loving god exists for their own belief. Otherwise, god need not exist. God dwells only in the minds of those fearful humans to sequiet a longing they have from the repercussions of the universe. God is just a fig newton of our imagination. This God does not really exist anywhere but in our limited imagination.

10. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

This is interesting and says much about M*W.

Statement of fact from M*W - Humans have a need to know an all powerful, all knowing, all loving god exists for their own belief.

Then we have M*W arrogantly seperating herself from the rest of humanity as though she didnt arrive as a human being herself - "God dwells only in the minds of those fearful humans to sequiet a longing they have from the repercussions of the universe."

Then we see the nature of M*W's personal conflict - "This God does not really exist anywhere but in our limited imagination."

But lets look at the spirit in which she says "This God"

M*W HATES "This God" because she knows she ought submit but cannot because she sees God as male dominance in her 'limited imagination' and personal experience of this life. She feels that to be set free of any authority over her, she must renounce God but more specifically Jesus.
    What M*W fails to realise is that Jesus is meek and mild and is like a child.
    Please just unify again M*W - you are worth much more to the cause as a believer - and you do know your God and He knows your heart and just wants to heal it. Dump your pain on the cross M*W

peace

c20

11. mis-t-highs I'm filling up Registered Senior Member

the other day c20H25N3o you prayed for the sciforums, and it was not appreciated by all.
    you just dont do it.
    you certainly dont Psycoanalyse anybody, this is down right "RUDE".

so I'd expect to have the same, happen to you, and you wont like it.

I posed the question "what make a good person".
    not "lets pick on somebody, I dont like there views".

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  12. beyondtimeandspace Everlasting Student Registered Senior Member

While I don't agree with c20's ad hominem comments, and your reprimandation of it is fitting, however you should make the same reprimands toward M*W. She may not have "picked on" a specific individual, but she certainly does a large bit of "picking on" groups of individuals, namely believers in God.

"God dwells only in the minds of those fearful humans to sequiet a longing they have from the repercussions of the universe."

Perhaps you do not find this offensive, as it may not pertain to you. However, there are many on these forums who would find this offensive, as it stereotypes any individual who believes in a God as "fearful to sequiet a longing they have from the repercussions of the universe." I take this as offensive, because it puts me into a false stereotype. I believe in God because, based upon the evidence that I have been presented, it seems most true to say that such an entity exists, and is necessary for the existence of things. It was Aristotle, a man who came by his own reasoning to belief in monotheism, in an era of polytheism, who first claimed (according to recorded history) that God was necessary to fulfill the need for an ultimate, final end that would satisfy perfectly the one thing that every human being seeks: happiness. While I personally ascribe to this notion, it isn't my primary reason for believing in an infinite God. As I have already stated, it seems, to me, logically necessary that such an entity exist. I most certainly do not believe in God out of fear, and I am offended that I would be categorized in such a way simply for the belief that I hold.

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

That's true. But I think that is a postulate. I guess we need to work on the concept of God. I think He is perfection. So... does perfection has those attributes?

Well... in a way, it does.... It doesn't prove anything, but it is always good to read other's perspective. Specially when they are highly valued.

His argument was that the idea of God is beyond his capability. And beyond his understanding....

Is that an argument? It sounds just like an explanation. Why hould I believe in that?

Well.... when I do look up in the sky and stare at the stars, I do fell a sense of connection, and I lose my sense of loneliness. Which is interesting after all. I do think there's a God, and I haven't been able to disprove that so far. And I'm not fearful, nor have a sense of longing. I just try to see the big mountain from all angles at the same time - which is fairly hard for a human...

14. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

You 'know' God must exist but you dont put your 'faith' in Him. There is like ten zillion light years between the two ideas. There is only one path to get back to Him as well but this is the stumbling block to you, the thing you fall down on before you even get up! For you it is "science has no answers so there must be God", for me it is "Our Father who art in Heaven ... Amen". The words are on your lips but your heart is very far away. Seek out Gods love and you will see Jesus, then you will see the Father. Our Father.

peace

c20 :m:

15. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

Thats the coolest thing written on here today imo

16. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

beyondtimeandspace: While I don't agree with c20's ad hominem comments, and your reprimandation of it is fitting, however you should make the same reprimands toward M*W. She may not have "picked on" a specific individual, but she certainly does a large bit of "picking on" groups of individuals, namely believers in God.
    M*W: Don't be fooled! I have rightly picked on many specific individuals on this forum and shall continue to do so when necessary.

17. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

Pick off our heads

18. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Doesn't prove anything tough...
    But thx for the appreciation anyways...

19. Adstar Valued Senior Member

which is fairly hard for a human...

Thats the kind of attitude that will get you places with The God of Abraham

All praise the Ancient of Days

20. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

Absolutely! In fact lets discern the spirits further because it will reveal something interesting.

We have two voices in this piece of text.

We have the spirit of struggle and the spirit of submission.

The struggle is man trying to see the motives behind creation through an incredibly dark pair of spectacles. Trying to take it all in from a solitary perspective with all human strength available to him. Seeking with all strength the mind and loves of He Who Is.
    The submission is the recognition that it is impossible for 'man' to know 'all' of God and understand all His ways and this submission produces yet another voice which is God's compassion for man's plight and appreciation for the struggle man goes through in seeking Him i.e. Which is fairly hard for a human! << This is God's voice to you Truthseeker! God sees your heart first Truthseeker and blesses you with a humble spirit because you have not loved yourself first. You are very pleasing to God, He feels the same way about you as He does His own Son when He said "This is my son in whom I am well pleased"

You are very blessed TruthSeeker and your name here is fitting.

peace

c20

21. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

Yo letter&numbersdude,

Quote:
    "There is only one path to get back to Him as well but this is the stumbling block to you, the thing you fall down on before you even get up!"

No brother, now you try telling that to a dude who embraces Islam. Or the local Rabbi. What I don`t understand is how you can be so arrogant in your certainty that there is no way to god but through your Jesus. Verily I say unto you I disagree.

Quote:
    " Seek out Gods love and you will see Jesus, then you will see the Father. Our Father."

Hmmm. What do these dudes look like?

"Originally Posted by TruthSeeker
    Well.... when I do look up in the sky and stare at the stars, I do fell a sense of connection, and I lose my sense of loneliness. Which is interesting after all. I do think there's a God, and I haven't been able to disprove that so far. And I'm not fearful, nor have a sense of longing. I just try to see the big mountain from all angles at the same time - which is fairly hard for a human... ”

Quote letters&numbersdude:
    "Thats the coolest thing written on here today imo"

Now that I can relate to.

Smooth.

22. Balder1 Registered Senior Member

Argument for God: If everything has a cause, then there would be an infinite number of causes going back forever. What caused the Big Bang? What caused that? However, and infinite number of roots for something is rather inconceivable. Some infinite thing must be the root cause for all reality, and that thing is God. God is infinite. It's unlikely that he cares one whit about humanity, but who knows?

The reason that we can't conceive an infinite being is that, to be honest, human minds are rational only to the environment we're in. We don't know the true secrets of the universe - whether the universe itself has a purpose or not.

I guess it comes down to what you think is more likely: an infinite chain of events(perhaps cyclic) or an infinite thing that started it all. Even the infinite chain of events must have had something to start it, right?

It's alien for the human mind to think of something that was not caused by anything. That something would be God, theoretically.

23. c20H25N3o Shiny Heart of a Shiny Child Registered Senior Member

I am pleased you found something to relate to

truthseekers post brightened up my day too. My text is for many eyes however and they know who they are as they read it.
    Please do not judge me too harshly for my arrogance. It is with good reason that I say what I say.

thanks

c20