What is this instrument?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Michael 345, Aug 26, 2023.

1. geordief Valued Senior Member

Are they performing in a submarine?
    Or an old fashioned store where they communicated between levels via a similar system of pipes I seem to remember.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

C C and geordief like this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

That is a human.
    It makes noise from its mouth hole.

Write4U likes this.
  8. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So the wheelie thing he is turning with his right arm and looks like coveted in sandpaper is there just for decoration?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
  9. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

looks like bingo

10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

How do you know he's turning it? Maybe it's a beer fridge and he's reaching for a cool one.

11. geordief Valued Senior Member

A sound effect machine?Like the sound they make at the beginning of Dr Who ,for example.

Is there a microphone inside and he turns the machine to make a weird sound?

I think the Goon Show were masters at that sort of thing back in the days of Radio.

12. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

It's a video

13. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

The man "sort of" resembles a younger Mehmet Erarabacı. Perhaps look under "strange Turkish instruments" -- especially of recent invention in the 20th-century.

Maybe it's an odd-looking bass drum (common for them to rest on their side). Instead of a blank or mundane surface on the opposite face of the membrane, this one has an ornamental spoke-like(?) framework. He could be beating it with his arm (perhaps with a mallet or something).

Again, there can be structural peculiarities with respect to some Turkish musical apparatuses, as well as culturally those in countries with a "-stan" suffix, once under Soviet domain.
    _

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Is not.

15. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Looks like Bingo/ Lotto

16. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

"Partch's Adapted Guitar II is a Hawaiian-type guitar, consisting of ten strings which are typically tuned to Harry's 16/9 Otonality or 4/3 Utonality. The headstock has a mechanism that allows the player to change the tuning in just a few seconds. Like Adapted Guitar I, this guitar is placed upon the lap and played like a slide guitar."

Harry Partch: Partch composed with scales dividing the octave into 43 unequal tones derived from the natural harmonic series; these scales allowed for more tones of smaller intervals than in standard Western tuning, which uses twelve equal intervals to the octave. To play his music, Partch built many unique instruments...

Otonality and utonality: Microtonalists have extended the concept of otonal and utonal to apply to all just intonation chords. A chord is otonal if its odd limit increases on being melodically inverted, utonal if its odd limit decreases, and ambitonal if its odd limit is unchanged. Melodic inversion is not inversion in the usual sense, in which C–E–G becomes E–G–C or G–C–E. Instead, C–E–G is turned upside down to become C–A♭–F.

Thankfully I have no guitar or other instrument that I can experiment with microtonality on, even if I could magically apprehend one of those systems in a few minutes. To compose a tune in such would surely be pointless, anyway, as the average Westerner on the street probably wouldn't relate to its strangeness (sans being zonked on drugs).

C–A♭–F is an inverted (in a normal sense) F-minor triad chord (i.e., I don't know how that equates to "being turned upside down" some other way in the otonality/utonality approach). When playing the notes of a C-major chord followed by those of it, they do sound aesthetically pleasing. Even though the A♭ is not a normal note in the C major scale, but is a part of the C harmonic major scale. The latter another "slightly oriental sounding" thing that it is possible to tinker with, in addition to crazy-weird Phrygian dominant scale.
    _

Write4U likes this.
  17. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Could be. Who knows? Michael has provided no context for this still shot.

Now, in defense of Michael's allegation that it's a musical instrument, the human does appear to be standing in front of a xylophone.

18. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

This is my next guess (after the beer cooler).

I'd guess some sort of thunder-maker. Imagine a giant hand-cranked hamster wheel with a couple of bowling balls in it.

It's such a pity all we have is a still pic. If only there were some way of hearing the music to divine what kind of sound such a thing might make. Alas, 'tis not to be. What a world; what a world.

19. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Trust me I'm British, the image relates to:

Bingo
    Noise that resembles a moose
    Generator (back up)

20. geordief Valued Senior Member

There was a musical composer on the radio this evening who seems to have made a musical composition out of bird song and accompanying natural noises.

First time I came across the concept (for a whole piece) but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was in fact a genre.

Sounded nice but I just heard the first ten seconds or so..

21. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

: visible confusion:

Is the above list punctuated with ANDs or with ORs?

22. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

Options Dave. I've never looked at my guitar like that

23. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

True. To put it correctly I should have said a screenshot from this video

Thank you

The link below should satisfy all questions

Summery why didn't I put the link in sooner

I am still in hospital with Grover's Itch

At the moment of original screenshot I was being treated by a few nurses with my medications while Grover's Itch was running amok though my body

Grover's Itch had been going for about 15 min before nurses got to me as they were busy

In a effort to calm Grover's Itch I was blasting Bolero through ear plugs (it really is calming)

The link came on just after Bolero

In the trying to take the screenshot the active program (the link) was turned off

It took me just over 2 hours searching to find the video which I am posting now

Enjoy

C C likes this.