What is the worst act of the Iranian government towards another nation?

Discussion in 'History' started by S.A.M., Nov 30, 2010.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Compared to whom? Australia? Have you read the Australian press lately? Do you really think the Australian press spares the government of the day from rigorous scrutiny?

Are you talking to me?

Since you have not refuted anything I wrote, I take it you're only really interested in insulting me. Buzz off, lap dog. Back to your mistress!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

So, killing hundreds of thousands of people - including the intentional targetting of civilian population centers with ballistic missiles - is no big deal provided "they started it?" On which playground does that make a country benign?

What's the implication supposed to be there, anyway? That Iran isn't dangerous unless provoked? That's pretty thin sauce when it comes to a polity with the geopolitical orientation that Iran has. Iran is a revisionist power, and not a status quo power, so the suggestion that there's no danger if they're left alone is facile. They are pointedly not content to be left alone, but wish to reorder the region in their favor. Hence, the conflict, the intrigues all over the place, etc. If they were content to sit inside their borders and play nicely with the regional and international orders, they could have had a deal wrapping up all the hostilities back in 1980.

Anyway, you've been told of various other offenses more times than I can recall:
    1) Attempted coup de etat in Bahrain
    2) Subversion of the Lebanese state via armed proxies
    3) Sponsorship of global terrorism targetting a certain author and his books
    4) Kidnapping and holding hostage the US embassy staff
    5) Sponsorship of the Northern Alliance in Afghanistan, nearly to the point of outright invasion
    6) Openly advocating the overthrow of the Saudi royal family
    7) Sinking of Kuwaiti tankers in the Persian gulf
    8) Arming, training and support of numerous regional and international terrorist organizations
    10) Various campaigns of assassinations all over the world

and so on. Not a bad record for a country barely 30 years old. And of course this ignores their various crimes against the Iranian people, which easily exceed the Shah's crimes many times over. The government of Iran is cruel and evil, and would not be acceptable even if they posed no potential threat to anyone outside of their borders.

But we've been through all this before, haven't we? So why the argument from ignorance and the combative open challenges? It looks a lot like you're searching for a fight on favorable, superficial terms.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

So essentially none of Sam's premise regarding Afghanistan have been found to be correct.

Probably not a profitable side-argument.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Because back in those days Iraq was our client state. Saddam was our friend. He was rather startled when we turned against him over his invasion of Kuwait. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend," and since Iran was our enemy, Iraq had to be our friend.
    This is about the fourth time that you have pretended not to have been informed by yours truly about Iran's act of war against the United States in 1979, when its theocratic government took power. An embassy is foreign soil, so attacking an embassy is an act of war.

For any Moderators reading this, this is a typical example of Sam's intellectual dishonesty: Pretending that she doesn't know something and then drawing a bogus conclusion from her feigned ignorance.

I don't know if that was Iran's worst act of aggression, but since it was against our country, and a flagrant violation of international law, we will never forgive or trust Iran until that government is overthrown--or at least decisively voted out of power by a reborn democracy.
    This is the second time in one day that I have seen you run into Sam's trademark intellectual dishonesty. Remember this the next time I bring her up in our secret Moderators' cabal.
    Many Americans regard Australia as a role model. About the only thing that we arguably have done better is moving past sexism, and lately you seem to have even made some progress on that issue.
    When's the last time a separatist movement succeeded anywhere? Especially without being anointed in blood, like Ireland, Pakistan and Kosovo?
    You apparently have not learned anything about premodern cultures since you foolishly objected to my calling the Maoris, quite correctly, a Stone Age people.

Paleolithic tribes do not have nations. The nation is a construct of Bronze Age society and culture. Anonymous strangers living in harmony and cooperation, multi-layered governments to administer complex relationships, money, division of labor and economy of scale, written language... Stone Age people have no need for these things.

Some of the North American tribes referred to themselves as "nations" during the colonial era, but that was only after picking up the word and the concept from the Europeans. In any case, in the eastern part of what is now the USA they were an incipient Neolithic people, with farming, animal husbandry and permanent villages with trading networks, which put them one Paradigm Shift ahead of the Australians, but still two shifts behind the Bronze Age.
    Oh, do you guys have Dalits too?
    I'm sure she would. Then once again Muslims would be the upper caste. Has anyone asked her why she hasn't emigrated to Pakistan, which by her sense of values must be paradise? They speak a language she understands and they're Muslims.

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

...there's a cabal?

9. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Oh crap. Now we'll have to shoot you.

10. StrawDog disseminated primatemaia Valued Senior Member

That was a symptom of a cause unchosen. No more, no less.
    And anything to the contrary is thus far unfounded and therefore inconsequential.
    1980? Please expand. Perhaps if the their immediate surroundings were a picture of peace and prosperity, this notion could be a reality. However given history, and the unusual situation re the invasion and plundering of neighbors Afghanistan, Iraq, Pakistan and Yemen, with thousand of foreign occupation forces on the ground, plus sanctions and consistent "all options, including using nukes are on the table" rhetoric, why would any nation not plan contingencies, and put in place alliances and strategies?

pass - enough smoke for a fire.
    pass - but less smoke, less fire
    fail - spiritual fatwa issued by a cleric is not against a nation
    pass - caveat - foreign policy - cause and effect is the culprit
    pass - US & Iran shared a common enemy for a while
    huh?
    fail - direct consequence of the Iraq invasion
    fail - cite source/evidence
    fail - cite evidence

No full scale invasions?

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Could you name these Indian media sources which you have read through?

I recommend The Hindu, The Indian Express, Outlook and Tehelka. I will simply point to how Indian media responded to 26/11 and point out how India was able to reach a successful conclusion on that case [as it has in many other cases of terrorism] and compare that with western media and its responses to terrorism as an example of the differences in media integrity in the two countries.

Thanks for the link to the story though, it is gratifying to know that although they named them as insurgents the soldiers did put a couple hundred dollars in the hands of the people there for medical aid.

Very sad. And this is the ROE of the Australian peacekeeping forces in Afghanistan? This is how they treat the Afghan people?

Ah okay, yes that would be number 2 in the worst act of Iran against a foreign government. The student revolution in Iran, when the students took over the US embassy. Technically, not an act of the government, since the students were not and did not form the government but we'll take it as one, since we are pressed for a second instance after the Iran-Iraq war.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  12. Gustav Banned Banned

hey check this out sam

"The United States, as a signatory to various international treaties banning the testing, manufacture and development of chemical and biological weapons, is required by law to open its weapons facilities to UN inspectors to verify treaty compliance. In defiance of the treaties' provisions, the United States Senate passed a bill in 1997 allowing the president to deny international inspections of U.S. weapons facilities "on the grounds of national security."" (Emphasis is original) -- Associated Press, February 27, 1998, quoted from Derailing Democracy, by David McGowan, (Common Courage Press, 2000), p.182

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Who will bell the cat?

Sometimes, I think karma is overdue in the US.

14. Bells Staff Member

The soldiers had intended that they receive $10,000(US), but it seems the family never received it as the leaders in the village appear to have pocketed it. They also promised that the survivors would receive ongoing medical care and help.

I think the fact those involved were charged shows that we don't take such things lightly. If you read the transcripts, the soldiers on the ground there were not happy that it was being investigated inhouse. A large number of the soldiers posted there have children and yes, it would be distressing.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

If the soldiers had intended to pay the family, there was nothing to stop them giving it directly to the family, after all they had already demonstrated their ability to enter the house at any time day and night. More likely, it was hush money paid to one of the warlords as an incentive to make no waves.

It is still the ROE of Australian soldiers to break down doors and enter Afghan homes is it not? Perhaps all these bleeding heart soldiers would like to ponder how they would react to an armed man breaking down their doors at dawn and shooting liberally into their children.

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

SAM:

You've conveniently ignored the soldiers' story that they were shot at from inside a room.

Now I'm not saying their story is true. I don't know. But apparently you do. Somehow.

You're hopelessly blinded by your prejudices.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No I am not ignoring their story. I am considering the fact that if an armed Afghan broke into the same soldiers home at 2 am with a machine gun, what that soldier was likely to do. I think that Afghan farmer and his children never stood a chance anyway. The fact that these foreign troops break into family homes with guns and shoot at civilians makes that very clear

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

If what you claim is true, SAM, then every house that was broken into by soldiers in Afghanistan would end up with a dead family. And yet, events like this are so rare that when one does happen it is reported around the world, there are investigations and prosecutions, etc.

If it turns out that the guy wasn't an insurgent, but panicked and grabbed his gun and started shooting at the soldiers, then you still won't be able to claim that the soldiers went in with murderous intent.

As things stand, though, you've tried the case in your own head already and found those soldiers guilty of war crimes, without even hearing the evidence.

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Would that argument persuade you if cops had broken in and shot an Australian family in the exact same manner?

The general disregard for human life by troops in Afghanistan is hardly an isolated incident. Considering that most Afghans possess firearms, are under military occupation and fear both their own warlord militias plus the foreign troops, what is the likelihood that any intruder who breaks into a home at dawn will not be fired at? Rather than being an isolated incident, this is probably what usually happens. Only not everyone is lucky enough to catch the eye of some Afghan immigrant in Australia

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Of course.

In such a case I would expect exactly the kind of investigation process that has actually occurred in the case of the soldiers. i.e. witnesses interviewed, facts ascertained, charges laid as appropriate to the facts, the matter heard in a court of law if appropriate, and convictions and sentences handed down if the cops/soldiers were found to have acted improperly.

I suppose you'd prefer Taliban-style "justice". Perhaps cut off the hands of the soldiers - or just cut their heads off in a public stadium somewhere. That would be the "model" way to do things, wouldn't it? And never mind a fair trial.

You are very far from establishing anything general about troop attitudes to human life in Afghanistan. Mostly, we just get your biases and selective choice of which information to highlight played out on a regular basis on sciforums.

Supposition upon supposition.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Ah well then we can have no agreement on this issue.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

So, back to the thread topic, then? Or should we end the thread here?

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No lets continue the OP topic. We've found two worst acts so far. We should see if there are any more. Considering how the international community is wary of Iran, it interesting to look behind the attitude to its basis.