What is the starting point?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by wynn, Nov 18, 2009.

1. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

oops...i went back and read 230..apperantly i missed that post..i actually did not read that the first time..did i quote from it?

the clue that i was refering to is only my own personal opinion..just because too many ppl get caught up in the literal interpretation of the bible and to fully understand it one needs to research the history of the times and the bible, of which your post 230 says you know the history of the bible, and i often wonder what books didn't make it into the cannonization process that should be there..

i digress..

ok..i can agree with this..

this is my point..

im not sure it is a trust issue rather a descision process..
    i would be all for re-cannonizing the bible...review all the texts that were submitted then, to see if they erroneously ommited certain textxs from the bible just cause of their current political situations..(ie the attitudes towards women)

to answer this and my opinion of what causes such, read through this thread..

it is my opinion of what causes ppl to do what they do..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

I agree, it is a trap.
    But why do some of us fall into it?

Agreed. But how come some of us get so riled up about it?

Ironically or not, I have always had problems with vomitting - I normally couldn't vomit, it's as if something was/is wrong with my vomit reflex. There was a few times when I ate something bad and it would help if I could vomit - but I couldn't, I just felt sick for days sometimes.
    I have noticed how I have this conviction "I must digest everything that gets into me, be if physical food or thoughts, I must not take the easy way out and vomit."

I have heard, yes. There are also controversies about eternal damnation.

I think the actual issue here, is of course, how does one get the confidence to hold a particular understanding of the Bible above some other. Why not go for the mainstream Christian understanding.

Yes ...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Doreen Valued Senior Member

this particular trap is there for people not closed to the idea of God or certian religious ideas and experiences. The atheist need not get caught by this one since they can simply ignore the whole humility issue. I think those who are interested in these 'realms' can get into trouble for a couple of reasons: 1) it is too scary to assume that other could be so unaware of themselves so it is easier to take people more as face value: how they present themselves. 2) It raises a complicated issue for us. How do we move forward into beliefs without being arrogant? The Christian apparantly (only) avoids this by pretending they are not making any claims to a skill - except for some of their leaders, priests, preachers, etc. So how do we gain knowledge, remain consistent and essentially stand for the skill we are claiming and not be (or seem to be) arrogant - or insane or what ever the fear is there. So I think there is avoidance on our part there also.

Because what they are doing is placing mines in the only field there is for us to get out of hell. (woo, was that dramatic!) But seriously. I think the only way to really get somewhere is to both gain/acknowledge skills one has and be open about this. I don't mean that one has to get behind a pulpit or speak in the town square, but I don't think one can simply back up everythign one believes in by referring to some book or teacher. If I am correct, what the hypothetical Christian is doing is reinforcing the idea that if one takes reponsibility for one's own skills and experience one is being evil

And we should note that the church has killed people for doing this, both within the church - what they call heretics or witches or blasphemers - and outside in heathens and pagans, etc.

Which, once layed out like that, should seem problematic. Some things should simply be vomited and babies do quite well with the reflex. I could not find an online reference, but Goodman and Perls, the people who developed Gestalt therapy, thought that ingestion - so the whole process of taking in food - was emotionally connected to how we take in ideas - including complex ideas like, say, roll models. Some people do not chew. Some chew mechanically a certain number of times and eating is a joyless affair. And so on. They thought that not chewing correctly and/or not vomiting were connected to introjection - where certain ideas that were not necessarily well fitted to us get inside us and are not assimilated. They had certain excercises to challenge this pattern. One was to chew food until it was absolutely liquified and attend to all the feelings involved. I think they pushed this model too far, but that it might be true for some people and certainly I think it words as a decent metaphor.

They thought that parental patterns could be introjected in this way and so we have portions of ourselves that function in us, but they are not us, at least not yet. The problem is not necessarily that we would never have this or that belief, but rather that we have not made it ours (or rejected it).

I think I can only answer that personally. The Bible feels like a book written by fallible people to me. I take certain portions and, frankly, reject most of it. It neither feels right nor makes sense to me. Sometimes I might have said 'if that is God, then there is no hope (for me).' Now I would say, that just don't seem right to me at all. I think the battered woman analogy comes back somewhat usefully here. I am sure one could come up with logical reasons not to go back - if you've moved out and been away from the abuser for a while. But really I think there comes a gut reaction - that is not for me.

I guess I would add that I feel the time the Bible was written in the ideas it presents - of God, etc. I sense what seem to me distortions. It simply does not right true. These men may have actually received communication from God, I would even Guess that Jesus and some others did. But still, they could hear and communicate about this only as well as their personalities, the time and their cultures permitted.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Yes. Being interested in God seems to place one at the mercy of anyone who claims to know (about) God. It is a confusing situation, given what different ontologies, epistemologies and ethics the different theisms propose.

I haven't thought of that. I have a tendency to give unlimited credit to anyone who even just uses the word God. Some people, including theists, will say that this is ridiculous. But some theists actually demand to be given such credit.

I wish William James would be alive today and open to disucss these things.
    I so far have not seen that he would address that particular uneasiness a person may have about developing a new outlook. It seems that to him, perceived need or honor seemed completely enough to justify the acceptance/development of an outlook.

To tie back to James - he still lived in a time when bold enterprises, pioneering in economics, politics, exploration, colonization were what was looked up to. Making an extraordinary effort was not a rarity, and back then, there were still things to explore, discover, colonize etc. Nowadays, it is different - even though there is a lot of talk about extraordinary effort.

I agree, but at the same time, I do not think there exists a neutral, objective way to develop these skills or talk about them. The way we develop them and the way we talk about them will depend also on the particular religious philosophy we have taken to.
    For example, does one see some skill one has as being due to one's "internal locus of control", or does one see it as "karma", or "personality trait" or as "God's special mercy"?

I agree. Without having personally realized what one is talking about (having read about it in books), whatever knowledge one has will feel faux.

I suppose such is Christian epistemology ... under threat of eternal damnation.

Now that you mention it - I have problems with chewing as well. And how can one atted to the feelings involved if one doesn't have the philosophy to do it? It's not like it is self-evident what to do with the feelings - so this begs the question of why attend to them at all. It is after all the philosophy (or the lack of it) that is the problem, not the feelings.

Yes. I have noted earlier how I believe things that I don't agree with.

Perhaps in time, feeling guilty for choosing against those whom I see as abusive will cease ...

There are many text-critical issues with the Bible. I don't even feel like opening it, by now, it is in effect, a can of worms.