What is the smell?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Shadow1, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Our sense of "touch" is multiple senses: pressure, friction, heat, cold. We also have a kinesthetic sense that allows you to accurately touch your knee in the dark--even touch your knee with your elbow in the dark. We have a sense of balance, using the fluid in our semicircular canals--this is also used to sense that we are falling. We have a sense of hunger, a sense of thirst and a sense of insufficient oxygen. Most of what we call "taste" is actually smell; the only "flavors" we sense with our taste buds are sweet, sour, salt, bitter and savory. This is why food tastes bland if your nose is stopped up.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple more that I'm not remembering.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

And if your eustachian tubes swell shut and then pressurize, which they tend to do unevenly?
    Vertigo! Which is the really weird sensation that the whole world is trying to turn sideways and slide you off.
    Makes it hard to drive.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

O.K. Another one of my fabulous true life stories . I was installing fiber glass insulation and the ceiling was 13 ft. high but the scaffold was only high enough to just reach the ceiling fully extended and even to maneuver my hands and arms I had to stand on the tips of my toes . So looking straight up I could see insulation fibers falling off the leading edge of the fiber glass in the sun light shining threw the window . Falling right into my eye. I tried to flush it out and it burned and itched, but I could not seem to get it out even with the brushing technique we use on our arms with water. The next day I had a big red spot on the white of my eye . Shit I said to my self The F word the F word , but Me being Me I blew off going to the doctor. About 2 weeks go by and the big red spot was still there . I still would not go to the doctor but started to become worried . Then it must have been about another week and blood started coming out of my mouth. Some where back by the area were my wisdom teeth were removed as a teenager . I thought for sure all my teeth were going to fall out and made no connection with the red spot in my eye. The blood stopped flowing after about 2 days and at the end of the 2 days I noticed the red spot was gone from my eye . Never did go to the Doc , but I have though that the fiber glass and blood traveled threw my sinus cavities and out threw the roof of my mouth way in the back or even out of my mouth were my wisdom teethe use to be . Don't know , glad I lived and the bleeding stopped and as far as I can tell no lasting effects

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

I suffer from vertigo and it is no fun at all. It comes and goes and as far as I am concerned it can just go. I think it is related to my passing out . I don't pass out much but that feeling of vertigo is similar to the feeling before black out . The best thing to do is to lay down on your belly if you start to feel the effects of vertigo. Especially if your ears start ringing

8. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

I don't black out usually...the world just rotates on me after I blow my nose.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Alex3 Registered Member

Smell is just like taste that our mouth tastes. Smell is something that is tasted by our nose. And then tells us what is good and pleasant smell and what is bad.

10. Shadow1 Valued Senior Member

ah i see
    thanks all for the links, they were usefull

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Semen contains citric acid, free amino acids, fructose, enzymes, phosphorylcholine, prostaglandin, potassium, and zinc.

I think the main source of the scent is the mixture of amino acids.

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You suffer from vertigo, yet you were standing on your tiptoes on a very tall ladder, trying to touch a ceiling that you couldn't quite reach???