What is the PC way for an atheist to express sympathy?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Medicine*Woman, May 10, 2006.

1. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Christianity doesn't really have that many examples of suicide in the name of their god, but certainly killing others in the name of their god, as has been shown throughout history, is something Christians have had no problem with committing.

I agree, the quote from James was stupid, but that is exactly the stupidity theists exhibit.

They may be happy with that belief, but as a parent, are you happy telling them lies?

So, will you lie to them or tell them the truth?

Why would you be scolded for talking to your kids about death? If 3 years old, then I can understand they simply might not understand the concept, but is there some other reason?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Carcano Valued Senior Member

This makes perfect sense, in light of the fact that perhaps only 20% of the Bible is ever discussed in Church.

Its in the best interests of the faith to ignore the rest, considering its appalling horrors, how it condones slavery, mass murder, polygamy, animal sacrifice, baby killing, absurdities of all kinds and an uncompromising intolerance of any other views but its own.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Theoryofrelativity:

Again? I thought this was my first one...

Well, I won't argue they are brainwashed, but their brainwashing has a lot to do with religion. To take one example, Muslim suicide bombers are convinced that Allah has paradise ready and waiting for them if they will sacrifice themselves in a Holy War (Jihad) against those who seek to oppress Muslims. To say this has nothing to do with religion is disingenuous.

These people may have religious beliefs which differ from those that others have, but their beliefs are undoubtedly religious.

I don't think it's far off. You hear people talk all the time about how Bernie went to a "better place" when he died. That belief is comforting to people. However, it can possibly lead them not to value their time on Earth as highly as they might. It might be better to live your life assuming there will be no reward for your death. Don't you think? Or does that take away your hope? Do you need to cling to that belief as a lifeline?

It could be argued that you're hiding them from the truth by feeding them a fantasy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

JamesR is a theist?

8. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Oh, I know. It's fucking annoying. My grandparent's on my dad's side are Catholic, so...
    ...except, it wasn't a sympathy card. It was more of a greeting card.

He certainly acts like it, with his self-blinding moralism.

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  9. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

I am an atheist who would not feel offended, upset, or annoyed if I received a sympathy (or other type) card with a religious motif. What is the big deal?

I live in a modern technological culture. I do not have to worry about being burnt at the stake or thrown to lions in an arena. I now and then worry about some religious maniac deciding to waste me, but I really expect those types to be gunning for abortionists or others with a higher profile than mine.

I get annoyed with religious types who aggressively try to convert me. I sympathize with theists whose views are aggressively attacked by atheists. Why get upset over a little advertsing of theist views on a sympathy card?

Why is it so difficult to express sympathy without parading atheist views in the process? Many religious types are deeply offended by atheism. Why go out of your way to offend them?