What is the best band ever?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by hedball, Jul 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

Burzum

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Weezer

Pixies get an honourable mention.

EDIT TO ADD: album 5 comes out this spring! Its supposedly 'pinkertonish'

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

SUBLIME

I mean , the guy died before it ever even really came out. . . and who doesnt listen to sublime?

TOOL is sick too though

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

8. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Xerxes:
    Jesus Christ.
    Holy Jesus.
    Oh my god, I'm surrounded.
    You just said Weezer.

Emo with bass, ick.

Quick rundown- I was an idiot once for thinking Tool talented, nothing but alternative rip offs and masochist-loosely-talented wannabes.
    Tortured art, right.
    There's about a hundred mentions of Tool in this thread alone.

Best band over all would have to be Emperor for its poetic nigritude and for crying out loud, a drummer named Faust and he killed a guy. *Oh* yeah.
    Best band over all for influence would go to the Beatles.

9. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Shoot me now. I agree w/gendanken.

:m: Peace.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  10. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

HA!!!

MEEEE-HAHA.
    (and don't call me Gendy, fishy)

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

You all are sick. Tool is a complete soft crap.
    Their music videos are ok, but the music is awful.

12. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

gendy,

Weezer is not emo. While they have been credited as influences by most 'emo' bands for 1996's 'pinkerton,' they are far from it.

Could you be a little more specific with what it is that you don't like about them? (curious)

13. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Led Zeppelin.

Technical, musical, lyrical, melodic geniuses.

I wonder if anyone knows or sees music theory like Jimmy Page does. An extremely meticulous guitarist.

14. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

You people have got to be kidding.

There is only one band.

WARNING: The surgeon general of rock has warned that viewing the next band is equal to 29 orgasms. All hail Tenacious D.

15. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

You know what.....Jack Black really does have a good voice.

16. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I like tool, would you care to elaborate?
    "forty-six and 2" is probably my favorite. I mostly like them for their ear candy, like in the beginning of patient, eulogy, forty six and 2, jimmy, pushit, and H. you gotta give it to their guitar player; he can make some cool sounds.

17. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Agreed. Actually I think his voice is extremely impressive. Rich tone, monster range and hillarious style.

I've never seen anyone play an acoustic guitar faster than KG (explosivo) either.

18. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Jimmy Page, Yngwie Melmsteem, Andre Segovia, Steve Vai, Joe Stariani, Justin King, Kaki King, Zakk Waylde....

shall I continue?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Actually another point...for a comedy band their guitaring skills are highly impressive.

19. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

You're still talking acoustic? You've seen him play it?

They are the culmination of rock history in comedy form!

Bah, I just think KG rocks.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Tyler Registered Senior Member

TREY ANASTASO.
    How is that every goddamn Zeppelin-loving, Floyd-hugging, hippie-wannabe, self-righteous jackass nowadays crowns Jimmy Paige king of all guitar, or Floyd king of innovation or some other standard moderatly complex music as the height of popular stuff?

Phish. Phish phish phish phish. At some point in your life you must have known a phish-head, has he not forced you to listen to this??

sargent:
    Dude, give live phish music a chance. Please. Jimmy is easily, easily, easily trumped by Anastasio's guitar skills and I don't even want to talk about composition. Zeppelin music is fairly straight-forward blues for the most part - really good and moderatly difficult blues, but still blues - and his guitar playing while extremely impressive simply doesn't match Trey in speed (which isn't debatable at all), in physical difficulty (Jimmy was very easy in terms of movement up and down the fretboard) or in musical difficulty (Phish music is often extraordinarily complex for rock, Anastasio has a degree in composition).

Just please, you can say you just don't like Phish, but it's a basic fact that Trey's a much better guitarist than any of these people and a much more complex writer.

For those of you (read: probably none) interested in learning more about Phish simply PM me!

21. Tyler Registered Senior Member

And yes Justin King is the shit accoustic guitar wise, no debating. Him Kottke and feothers really made the accoustic guitar their bitch.

22. Spyke Registered Senior Member

Groups with the most longevity, with few personnel changes, and still manage to be popular -

The Stones, Pink Floyd and Aerosmith

Most influential group of the 80's forward -

Roxy Music

Most innovative group ever -

The Beatles

Most influential 'hard' rock group of the 60s -

while The Beatles were the most innovative, the most influential group of the early 'hard' rock genre was The Kinks, and I would say they were followed closely by The Animals. Most music fans were being blown away by The Beatles, but most rock musicians were being blown away by the latter two groups.

Best Prog Rock group -

King Crimson, at least at its conception, with its outstanding The Court Of The Crimson King. It took the rest of the prog groups a couple of albums to even begin to catch up to what the group achieved with that album. And I say that because Pink Floyd was being labeled at the time as a Psychedelic, or Acid, Rock group, but even so, although Meddle was a very good album, it was a couple of years later, and Dark Side Of The Moon was still about 4 years after when Court of the CK was released in '69.

Interesting trivia note that some early rockers may know. When Greg Lake and Carl Palmer left King Crimson and were forming a new band with Keith Emerson, which would of course eventually become Emerson, Lake and Palmer, at the time Mitch Mitchell and Jimi Hendrix of the Experience were scheduled to audition with the group. Tragically Hendrix ODed two weeks before the audition. I still wonder at what that supergroup might have produced

23. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

....because they don't like their Phish forced or be called jackasses...it leaves a certain insipid aftertaste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.