What is real ?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Enmos, Dec 29, 2007.

1. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Thank you!

And I do definitely appreciate the incredible mental workout trying to keep up with your logic gives me. Thanks!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

why indeed

thats because extent of the meaning and value is all pertinent to the body (which has a predictable future)
    If that is all there ultimately is, why on earth would a temporarily perceptive entity with temporary values entertain aspirations for values that are not temporary?
    Why is it that transience becomes a source of despair/frustration?
    Why is it so difficult not to ascribe eternal values to temporary things?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Well then, what values are eternal ?

And the other question.. ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

the very thing that is doing all the ascribing of value in the first place - consciousness

what was the other q?

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Consciousness, also dies with the person.. I guess thats where our views become irreconcilable..

YOU: I am further indicating that the expression of dissatisfaction for all meaning to be similarly categorized suggests something else

ME: And that is.. ?

9. lightgigantic Banned Banned

what makes you say that consciousness dies?

that our predisposition (in fact our totally inability to avoid) ascribing eternal values (even if it is only to temporary things) suggests that there must be something eternal.
    Otherwise why would a temporarily perceptive entity be duty bound to ascribe eternal values?

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What makes you say it doesn't ? Seems to be the bigger assumption here..
    I reject the existence of eternal values.. actually I reject the existence of any inherent value of anything.

I think we're done.. unless you can convert me

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

our inability to escape eternal values for a start

why is that?
    that won't prevent you from ascribing eternal values to transient things, so your rejection is superficial

why would I want to do that and do away with a great whetstone

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Frud11 Banned Banned

Right, time for a bit of jumping on things, and kicking over houses of cards (sorry).
    Consciousness is something that appears from "somewhere", right?
    Our best guess is neural activity, which is sort-of centred in the middle of our heads, but also distributed throughout our bodies, esp. the epidermal "surface". Neurons don't work, though, without the rest of "you".
    In that sense, "you" are (simply put) the sum of all experience--mental (as in dreams and "conscious" dreaming, or visionary thinking), and epistemological.

When an individual consciousness ceases (to contribute), they're a memory in the conscious minds of others; their existence is imagined (it always was though).
    (I think this is what Benedictus de Spinoza might have been on about with his "eternal mind" thing.)

Irreconcileable with this view is the notion of individual awareness: there really is no such thing as an individual ontology, we can't even assess our own experience without others.

13. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Hahahaha! One of the silliest things people do is ask subjective questions under the guise of the objective. That's what often happens in philosophy.

But of course. It all starts with psychological phenomena common to all humans (no exceptions). It's called anthropomorphization (putting human qualities on non-human objects / phenomena -or vice versa-). You see it every day... bugs bunny, mother nature, father time, 'God', etc. One set of qualities that invariably get projected are human values... and they get projected right into our questions. Childrens teachers, parents, television shows, etc. constantly reinforce anthropomorphization and anthropomoprhic questions. Theism takes it a step further by creating named anthropomorphizations of reality ('Gods') whom supply objective answers to the subjective anthropomorphic questions.

Yep and it doesn't matter where I live. Both nose hairs and that rock have an attractive relationship.

I think defining what you mean in explicit words might help. Once you have done so, you will be able to see if the question(s) is/are really objective or subjective. Of course if its the latter then the answer is 'whatever you want'.

I think we share a strong agreement; however, when I see statements such as this:

"Existence is a fucking joke, meaning is an illusion, we die eventually.."

I see confusion between objective and subjective questions and / or answers.

14. Donnal Registered Member

NO NO NO didnt God say do not fear him well isnt it obvious
    what and who god is

i suppose it may take sum people more time to figure that one out
    but hay dont be affraid of dying

15. Shangorilla Registered Member

I indulged in solipsism briefly until my political activism broke me out of it. I'm an existentialist. I believe there is an over all reality, though it does vary from person to person. The world is as dark and absurd as a Kafka story. The Castle is one of my favorites. Anyways, because we are constantly assaulted by the absurdity of our situation we rationalize that we each think rationally and that others must be thinking what you are thinking (eg I can judge them because I know they are judging me) however, other peoples' thoughts on you are irrelevant because we only know our own thoughts and never truly understand anybody else and because of that we are responsible for our own morals, values and goals. We must each set a limit, our own übermensch, to strive for. Religion cannot be used in its place because it does not give you reason to strive in this world, it only gives you reason to be complacent. In relation to time, I believe it is not a two dimensional line that we follow, each of us going on its divergent paths yet all ending in death, but a three dimensional prism; every moment over lapping, layer after layer comprising the whole. My thought on this comes from Slaughterhouse-5 and my own personal explanation for pre-cognition. Thus, we never truly die but are always at some point in our lives; living. It is only an illusion that time is linear, and we probably only take it in as such.

16. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

I would hope that which may be best for you would matter to you.

Because if you won't care about that which may be best for you, you are going to end up a miserable sob.

... or refuse to confine themselves to.

17. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

Possibilites:

1. Because a person (or something about the person) is eternal.
    2. Beacuse of the reactive nature of human thought: ie., we tend to think in opposites and negations, like white-black, big-small, temporary-eternal.

18. Myles Registered Senior Member

How would you think of something as small without relating it to something that was bigger ?

19. Myles Registered Senior Member

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

those opposites and negations do actually exist though

21. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Who cares? I'm enjoying life as it is, I don't feel the need to go lookng for meaning.

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

then don't complain when you wind up in difficulty

23. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

^^ Who shoved a rod up your ass?