What is "Rape Culture"?

Discussion in 'Ethics, Morality, & Justice' started by Bowser, Nov 8, 2015.

1. birch Valued Senior Member

Heh, rape is risky on so many levels. That's why rape is usually the last resort in the animal kingdom 'overall'. It not only results in rejection but could get you hurt or killed. Besides, its pretty stressful to rape with the other trying to run away or hurt you as well as the violence usually doesn't end well.

Its far better to obtain consensual sex. The wooing and show of better male fitness through mating displays is just as common as rape in the animal kingdom. Yeah, some animal species rape and use violence.

Also, the reasons for rejection are due to evolutionary reasons. There is a reason the female gender of a species 'rejects' a particular suitors genes even if its instinctive to mix with her particular genes. She may view your genes as either a spanner in the works (not fit for her) or not fit enough in relation to her whereas another female would approve.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. birch Valued Senior Member

It is a misnomer to view nature as perfect. It is just a process of both trial and error and wisdom on the part of any species. We can see some patterns but that's it. The acceptance or rejection by a female species can be both practical and superficial reasons due to a better survival assessment but it isn't perfect or always the case. Sometimes its a miscalculation or a shot in the dark by both genders of a species. The miscalculation may even be the lack of recognition or devaluing certain traits. Sometimes the acceptance of opposite genes (what one lacks or is weak) are needed or wanted, sometimes not helpful.

Take an extreme example of ligers (product of two divergent species: tiger and lion). The liger has a conflicting dual nature confused as to whether to be solitary or social. It can't seem to reconcile the two as its too divergent. So the result of non-selective breeding can be incoherency. This incoherency may also be the reason for a female genders rejection. The male may also be superior in certain traits and be rejected and vice versa. It doesn't matter because coherency is the only way an organism can be a well-oiled, coherent working machine. Can rape result in still viable, healthy or possibly a superior offspring? Yeah, but that's a rather random tactic of propagating your genes.

But this evaluation of fitness or lack thereof occurs within species of course. The simpler the organisim, the more consensual sex is irrevelant or not much of consequence. Some organisms don't even have the capacity to detect rape or know what it is anyway. In higher organisms the one sure trait that's passed through rape is domination through violence. The paradox of even a regarded superior trait can also contain inherent seeds of or be a result of inferiority such as desperation, antisocial inclinations and possible lack of intelligence (lack of finer creative ability, problem solving).

Anyhow, consider how we date. If you happen to be a fundamentalist christian who has a deadly fear of heights, would you consider or think an atheist whose favorite pastime is abseiling is a good or viable match? Of course not. Hence, the rejection (usually).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

"Can we be better than we are?"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Actually, rape is not widespread among mammals. Surprisingly, it's dolphins (and surely just one or two species of that rather large taxon) who have become famous for it. It takes three males of course, two to keep the female from escaping while the third does the deed.

Among our closest relatives, the other Great Apes (2 species of gorilla, 2 species of chimpanzee, 2 species of orangutan), I've never seen any reports of rape. And given that the "true" chimpanzees, Pan troglodytes, are nasty motherfuckers who lie in ambush for members of competing tribes and murder them, they clearly don't seem to have much of a moral code.

The smaller bonobo chimpanzees, Pan paniscus, on the other hand, are the free-lovin' hippies of the jungle. They have orgies in which the entire tribe participates. No rape problem there.

Gorillas live in modest-sized groups, with a male in charge, and young males have to make their way into the forest when they become old and large enough to challenge him. It's taken for granted that the leader mates with all the females--who of course are his own offspring--so inbreeding is a major issue. One biologist said that if you take two skulls from gorillas who live at the opposite end of their territory, and show it to a biologist who doesn't specialize in primates, he would insist that they must surely be of two different species, because the skull shapes are so amazingly different.

8. Secular Sanity Registered Senior Member

Use Google Scholar and search for sexual coercion in primates.

Forced copulations have been described by all orangutan researchers, starting with the earliest pioneers (MacKinnon 1974; Galdikas 1978; Rijksen 1978; Galdikas Orangutans 83 1979, 1981; Schurmann 1981, 1982; Mitani 1985a; Schurmann and van Hooff 1986). Galdikas (1981:288) provides the first operational definition: "Rape occurred when a male attempted to copulate or copulated with a female who resisted his efforts to position her for intromission. A female's struggles ranged in intensity and duration all the way from brief tussles with squalling and some pushing and slapping at the male's hand to protracted violent fights in which the female struggled through the length of the copulation, emitted loud rape-grunts and bit the male whenever she could."[Source]

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Seriously?

Go to Google ... er, never mind. Here's a search for you↱. Click it.

Next, I would ask you―

That's a pretty decent question. It's on-topic, it's succinct, and it encourages a serious answer--even a deep one. I responded to it briefly, and I just got here.

(#411↑)

―to please point me to that response. (Is it in another thread? A search of this thread shows you posted on 12 November↑, and then a post in which you addressed the question of teaching↑, and then your address to me cited above; honestly, I'm not seeing the response you're referring to.)

Additionally, I would remind you that it was not a question addressed to me to answer.

I do, however, think that evolutionary theorizing can yield some useful information. See here.

Tiassa asked me, "How do you count as a reproductive strategy the murder of the offspring?"

Unfortunately, the thread was closed and I wasn’t given the chance to answer. There is, however, a lot of evidence supporting the sexual selection hypothesis. It not only increases the parental investment towards their own young but also allows males to gain reproductive advantage through earlier conception. The loss of a suckling infant leads to the onset of estrous.

The question that I would have liked to see Tiassa ask, though, is "Can we be better than we are?"

What she is referring to is a discussion from last year in which she refused to answer basic questions about the material she was presenting, leading to the thread being closed amid a string of threads regarding the intersection of human rights and women being closed; she dubiously complained that she had not had a chance to answer, the thread was re-opened, she chose to go in some other direction, so it was closed again.

So, to the one, this is an attempt to reframe and relitigate something that happened last year.

To the other, is is also Secular Sanity telling us what I am supposed to say in order to accommodate her politics.

It was not a question to be answered directly; rather, it is mere trollbait.

Which is the other issue: Look at this thread.

We actually already have a thread on rape culture↑, but in that advocates didn't feel free to build and tilt windmills in order to complain about the idea of rape culture, so Bowser started this one according to a dishonest pretense, and this is where we're at. It would seem that discussing rape culture according to a woman's perspective is unacceptable. Rather, we need a manly man like Bowser to pretend he doesn't know what the phrase means, and then ignore the responses in order to build a straw man so that he can convince us the straw man doesn't exist.

Now, I know you're one who favors rational thought. Would you please explain the rational purpose of insisting on fallacies as a proper basis for rational discussion?

Oh, and one more thing about trollbait: A year after, Secular Sanity tells us she would prefer it if I had responded to her by asking if we can do better; apparently, asking the question specifically as applies to rape culture five months earlier↑ allowed too much time to pass without repeating it. Perhaps our neighbor can prescribe a schedule for how often she wants me to say what.

10. Secular Sanity Registered Senior Member

Now, we're talkin'.

Tiassa, are you a huge stoner? Do you take any other drugs? Do you have typomania?

That's not how it went down. It was a witch hunt from the get go.

http://www.sciforums.com/threads/sociobiological-theories-of-rape.142978/

Stop trying to shout everyone down. Fraggle isn't on trial. No one is. This is not a trial. It's a discussion forum. We're trying to have a discussion. Shhh!

11. Bells Staff Member

This thread is no longer about rape culture.

Perhaps we should get back on topic because it seems one person at least, demands that her, whatever it is, be heard. Take it elsewhere.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Meanwhile, Back on Topic (The Unsurprising Hatred)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Obviously not transgendered: Robert Lewis Dear appears in court, 30 November 2015, in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

"Surprise!" reads Zack Ford's↱ headline for ThinkProgress, "The Planned Parenthood Shooter Is Not Transgender". And maybe that sounds like a really weird headline.

Hint: The bit about "Surprise!" is sarcasm; nobody was surprised. Probably not even Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX):

Conservatives have been bristling for several days with the possibility that Robert Lewis Dear, the alleged Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood shooter, may be transgender because his voter registration identified him as female. Even Ted Cruz floated the idea at a campaign stop on Sunday. On Monday, the El Paso County Clerk and Recorder's Office confirmed there had been a clerical error.

Ryan Parsell, El Paso County's chief deputy clerk and recorder, told the Colorado Springs Gazette that his office was responsible for the mistake, calling it a data entry error. When he received a driver's license with the same error, Dear went to a different Department of Motor Vehicles office to request a corrected license, which he received.

Dear also apparently attempted to fix his voter registration form, which required submitting a "Change in Voter Registration Information" form to the Park County Clerk and Recorder's Office. His registration was not adjusted, however, because the dot in the "male" box―"a small dark spot"―was so faint that a deputy clerk concluded it was not an intentional mark.

But the GOP presidential candidate really needed to say something, having recently touted the endorsement of terror abettor Troy Newman, whose right-hand man is a woman named Cheryl Sullenburger, and she is an actual terrorist convicted for firebombing in the name of Jesus.

Still, though, the junior U.S. Senator from Texas is just the setup. The punch line is neither funny nor unexpected. As Melissa Jeltsen↱ explains:

Dear, who is now in custody, was married and divorced three times. In court documents obtained by The New York Times, Dear's second wife, Barbara Micheau, claimed that during the course of their marriage, her husband kicked her, smacked her head against the floor and pulled her hair "on many occasions." She described him as angry and volatile, with emotional problems, and claimed that he abused his first wife as well.

His allegedly abusive behavior did not stop when he remarried. In 1997, his third wife, Pamela Ross, filed a police report, that stated Dear had locked her out of the house. When she tried to get back in through a window, he hit her and pushed her out, Ross told police. She did not want to press charges, but "wanted something on record" about the incident. Police noted that she had visible bruises, which she said were caused from her husband pushing her in the chest.

Dear was also accused of raping a woman who rejected his advances. In 1992, a married woman who worked at a mall told police that Dear had repeatedly asked her out and that he wouldn't take no for an answer. According to a police report obtained by the Charleston Post and Courier, he harassed her at work and home and called multiple times a day. Then one day, when she was taking the trash out, she said, he put a knife to her neck, forced her back inside her home and raped her.

Dear was charged with rape, but there is no record of a conviction, so it's probable that the case was dismissed. When reached for comment by The New York Times, the woman's husband said that the only other witness refused to testify and that they were about to move out of state. "We had to let go and let God take care of it," he said. The woman has since died.

Ten years later, Dear was arrested under South Carolina's 'Peeping Tom' law after a female neighbor complained that he was hiding in the bushes and looking into her house. The charges were later dropped, but the neighbor, who said she was "in fear for her safety" was issued a restraining order against Dear.

No wonder conservatives want to blame the transgendered and Planned Parenthood itself. When someone hands them so grim a nexus of misogyny and murder, the only thing rape culture defenders, advocates, and exploiters can do is try to blame everyone else.

Notes:

Ford, Zack. "Surprise! The Planned Parenthood Shooter Is Not Transgender". ThinkProgress. 1 December 2015. ThinkProgress.org. 2 December 2015. http://bit.ly/1lYzAOm

Jeltsen, Melissa. "Before Terrorizing Planned Parenthood, Shooter Targeted Women Closer To Home". The Huffington Post. 2 December 2015. HuffingtonPost.com. 2 December 2015. http://huff.to/1Roh4Lr

13. Secular Sanity Registered Senior Member

The book and work I posted is all about rape culture, but neither of you would know that because you're too lazy to read.
    Can't you two keep it at your blog or PM each other. We can read the news. Thanks, though.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

It's astounding that lions and tigers ever mate. Tigers have retractable claws like many felids; lions do not. Tigers use their retractable claws in their courtship ritual; this irritates the hell out of lions. (Forgive me, I may have that backwards and haven't been able to find the info.)
    I don't see how religious belief or disbelief plays a part in this. Surely there are plenty of Christian BASE jumpers, and plenty of atheists who think that jumping out of a perfectly good airplane is one of the stupidest things ever done.
    I've kinda lost my bearings in this 500-page discussion, but if I'm looking at the right question,
    my answer was,
    Isn't keeping threads on topic one of OUR responsibilities?

15. Bells Staff Member

I don't have much time available to read much anymore. I have a desperately sick parent and a child who has a broken arm. The few minutes I have spare each day when I do log on here no longer affords me the luxury of reading pages from a book in a short time and to formulate a response as per what I have read. I would suggest that before you accuse people of being lazy, you actually ask them first why they haven't read what you linked. I was going to read it last night, but I was too exhausted and fell asleep quickly, as in I fell into bed and was asleep with my legs dangling off the bed because I was too tired to actually get into bed properly. I will get around to it when I have the time. So get off your high horse, because frankly, I don't have the time to deal with it, nor the patience to deal with it.

What you are now linking to is no longer about rape culture. You seem to want to discuss what you feel you were prevented from discussing in another thread when you were posting here as Trooper. A thread that was on a completely different topic to that of rape culture as it applies to this thread.

16. Secular Sanity Registered Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. My mother isn't well either. My son is leaving the country in March. Enjoy yours while you have the chance. I dream about their childhood. I miss it.
    Sociobiology looks at the aspects of social behavior. Social behavior is related to culture.

What’s the difference between the two, social behavior and culture, do you know?

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Reality

"Women in public spaces have incredibly low expectations of privacy or consideration. I don't go out expecting to be left alone. It's more of a nice surprise when it does happen."

Halloween, maybe a few weeks prior, and how about days before that? Olivia Kuncio↱ recalls a few more recent occasions she was sexually harassed. And, you know, quite clearly there is something amiss about the dude staring down her sorority sister and wanking on the train, but it's also important to note he wasn't wanking to the trees, or achieving orgasm because somebody farted.

"The next story," Kuncio explains, "could be four weeks ago, then six, then two months, a pattern of harassment tracing back to puberty or even earlier".

We could try something superficial, like my earlier note: "Just how the fuck much do I have to tart it up in order that men should offer me such innocuous greetings?"

Then again, wanking on a train isn't exactly an innocuous greeting.

But I think there are more important issues than arguing with people who think hitting on women at random is innocuous:

And for me, this presents a tough dilemma. I think a lot about bravery. I want to believe I am a brave person, like the girls I read about in fantasy books growing up and the women I see around me today. But when you're a woman dealing with street harassment, bravery isn't like a fairytale. It's not realistic for me to cuss out someone who bothers me on a deserted subway platform. It's not smart to hit someone twice my size that has already proved he doesn't care about my personal space or comfort.

There's a French term, l'esprit de l'escalier (translated as "the spirit of the staircase"), for when you think of the perfect thing to say after an argument or conversation has ended. This phrase describes my experience with street harassment all too well. I'm packed with sharp comebacks and cuss-outs that I can only articulate to my roommate when I'm ranting in my bed at night. But in the moment, I am always silent.

I feel like the worst sort of coward. I feel like I talk all this good game about being a warrior, about fighting for what I believe in, for being a tough, kick ass feminist. But yet I know that I can't be that thing without risking my safety. Frequently when I and other women tell these stories, the first response we get is "Well if that happened to me, I would have just..." It's either that they would have hit them, or called for help, or fired back, or just anything else.

When you are approached on the street, or on public transit, or in your own damn front yard, the only thing you need to do is the thing that makes you feel the most comfortable. Your privacy and space has been violated and disrespected, and your only obligation is to restore those things in whatever way is necessary.

When these things happen to women in your life, tell them you're sorry that they don't feel safe. Tell them that they shouldn't have to go through this.

Gentlemen! Pay attention!

Honestly, guys, maybe you've been harassed before, but compared to what women face we have no fucking clue. So get this part through your heads, at least: Do not presume to tell women what they should do when sexually harassed.

M'kay?

Really.

Seriously.

I shite thee not.

Should I say I was sexually harassed yesterday? Sure, why not? Oh, right. I don't call it that. Had I responded the way I would have to a male of age, now that would have been harassment. Instead, I just popped off a joke about Ferenczi, which left my minor female who grabbed my ass laughing at the idea of me and my ferenczi.

You know; sounds like a dirty joke, anyway: "Yeah, I'm just gonna go double-check my Ferenczi."

Hell, at this point, if it was a male of age? Couldn't tell ya.

Point being, guys, the overwhelming majority of us have exactly no clue what it's like out there.

I really hope that someday I have a movie moment where I snap back at someone so hard that they get whiplash. In my mind, the whole train applauds while the man staggers away, somehow changed into a better person because of what I've said. But more than that, I hope that someday I take the subway at any time of the day, in any outfit and I still feel like it's going to be ok. I hope my sisters and friends and peers won't always have to worry that they're being cowards by protecting themselves. I hope that I never have to be silent. I hope that I am brave.

Notes:

Kuncio, Olivia. "When It Comes to Street Harassment, Bravery Isn't Cut-and-Dry". The Huffington Post. 2 December 2015. HuffingtonPost.com. 2 December 2015. http://huff.to/1XAu31m

18. birch Valued Senior Member

I was just responding to the speculations of rape as a byproduct of the 'animal kingdom' or that a developed brain is responsible for self-control. The example of incompatibility as even decided or detected by animals even within a species was to illustrate why rape may not be the best course of action and obviously not if one of the parties is fighting it (procreation) instinctively tooth and nail.

As for a rape culture, is it so mysterious on a fundamental level? Males are usually stronger than females so can dominate and have more testosterone (higher sex drive).

What curtails rape overall in human culture that is specific to our awareness? Backlash not only from females but from other males except for the most oppressed societies of women. Every man comes from a woman and has women in his family, recognizes they are people as its not sexualized objects. Humans are at least aware incest is taboo. They usually do not want their close tribe to be compromised but what do they do with this sexual drive or perhaps aggressive want to conquer? They either need scapegoats or to sexualize others. So you have a dual society that's struggling to reconcile respect and morals toward women for the dignity or at least safety of women stemming from the males volition themselves (experience from their own tribe) and the encouragement of sexuality or the objectification of women as sex objects in other women.

Some use an acceptable means to express sexuality toward women and channel aggressive instincts in a productive manner. That is, they can recognize her as a person with rights, not just a sexual conquest or object. Others lack an ability to view females outside of their unsexualized tribe (female family members) as human beings deserving of the same rights and so are hypocritical. The dots are not being connected further than this in the cognitive process. Even most male chauvinists have decidedly less 'chauvinistic' ideals or tendencies when it comes to their mothers, sisters and daughters. Usually.

You have males fighting for or at least sympathetic toward the rights of all women and some males only sympathetic to some. Either way, if men were truly and completely independent of women, women wouldn't have a chance in hell.

The concept that men should be 'gentlemen' toward women is not just a female one. Men dont want their mother, sister or daughter disrespected by other men even if they are a hypocrite to other women. How is this to happen in a society where she isn't locked away from male interaction? So who is going to take up this role? It has to start somewhere. So males have and do also encourage this behavior in other males too even if it started with a selfish, shortsighted motive (that other women are also someone's daughter, mother, sister etc not just their own female relatives/friends).

So males are also...err..your allies and friends too as well as your foes..um..too I guess.

So you have a society that is trying to continually work out the balance of respecting the rights of women (every male has a female family member or loved a female) as well as how to express their sexuality between the sexes that's acceptable to both parties. Generally. Those laws may favor women as well but its because no 'man' is an island either.

Of course, you've got outliers who sexualize themselves as objects willingly as well as those who have no one in their corner. They are the encouragement of or the result of sexual objectification and violence. These can be used as the scapegoating or justification of exploiting women.

19. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

France

Because, you know, how are French men supposed to meet women?

An interview with, Marie la Fonta, editor of Cosmopolitan France:

I read a study in The Independent saying 100 percent of Parisian women have been either groped or sexually harassed on public transportation in the city. What are French women saying about sexual assault? This is true. I don't know the exact percentage, but this is an immense subject in France. I know that you are more advanced than us in terms of sexual harassment in the office, but in France, this was not a subject discussed until the past year; nobody was speaking about that. Never! That was taboo. I would say maybe not two years, but it's pretty recent that that's a subject and it exists! It simply exists. But you know, things that were happening in French offices you would have been fired for straight away in the United States, which is a good thing, but here it's pretty new. Street harassment is a new subject that also appeared quite recently. It's something we're going to cover again in the magazine.

So your readers are saying that sexual harassment is a part of their everyday lives? Yes, they are complaining, but even the journalists that come here they say sometimes that they don't want to go in a short skirt at night. Everybody is complaining about that. Everybody is complaining about the fact that in the underground [subways], there's always someone that bothers you.

What kind of advice are you giving your readers on a day-to-day basis to combat this harassment? Don't be scared, speak loudly, and never say, "Someone is attacking me." Instead, say, "There's a fire! There's a fire!"

You find more people will react and help if you call, "Fire!" than if you say, "This man is harassing me!"? Yes, that's true.

(Koman↱)

Okay, so let us try it this way: Every one of those gropings, molestings, and harassings is an independent decision by individuals and not at all related to a cultural context in which such behavior is acceptable or, at least, not unacceptable.

And if that sounds like excrement, it is.

But it's also what people want us to believe in order to accept that there is no such thing as rape culture.

Notes:

Komon, Tess. "'Everybody Is Complaining About Street Harassment': What It's Like to Be the Editor of Cosmo France". Cosmopolitan. 17 November 2015. Cosmopolitan.com. 2 December 2015. http://bit.ly/1lxnRGf

20. birch Valued Senior Member

Women need to be aware that men are also put to the test and the battle of the sexes is not completely on women's shoulders.

There is poetry written by men toward women with such pure sincerity and respect, one could swear it came from a woman's pen. Men are also capable if accessing their better natures.

A man can be so tender and loving toward their daughter (for example) dreaming of a better future/world for her that she will have independence, have freedom of choice, be respected, become educated, have security, happiness, health and find a loving, faithful husband who will respect and be devoted to her (basically all the rights and privileges he knows or enjoys and also in her best interest) while.... he is cheating on his wife with hookers and calling his wife a b#tch, whore, c#nt etc.

A man can raise his sons to be womanizers while raising his daughters to be prudish.

A man can disdain his father for abusing his mother while he grows up to do the same to other women.

A man doesn't want the women he cares for to be abused, disrespected, oppressed or raped.

What males are going to step up to the plate? How is this imaginary better world going to surface for their daughters and for women they care for? How will this happen if men expect other males to be honorable while they live with hypocrisy or 'have my cake and eat it too' philisophy?

Men also struggle with this dilemma realizing somewhere deep inside that it can't. Men also can't cheat there way out of this reality. They can only procrastinate at least or not be part of the solution.

In conclusion, even if it seems that the struggle for women's rights is just a woman's issue, it is also a mans.

Men also pay a price and that the lack of respect for women also means an unsafe world for their female nearest and dearest.

21. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

In the strangest way, it seems.

What if I suggested the fear and shame the man felt ... well, see, that's the thing.

To start with the charge, Charing Ball↱:

For one, the charge of third-degree sex abuse, which carries a possible prison bid of up to 10 years, seems a little excessive for what I witnessed in the video. This is especially true when compared with the sentence of the serial groper who attacked six women, including a police officer. He was only given six months in prison. And those consequences also seem a little excessive when compared to the time I'd reported a creep who damn near stuck his penis in my driver's side window, and yet, I couldn't even get a police report.

There is an implicit question in that, I suppose, and it really does seem fair. But there also arise the usual questions:

The whole sensationalist framing around this case just had me feeling some type of way. But after watching the victim in question tell his own side of the story, I can definitely understand more about his victimization.

According to the Fox affiliate in D.C., the victim, who wished to remain anonymous out of fear of further backlash, said that he was talking to a friend on the telephone when he was accosted and molested by two women at a Northeast D.C. gas station. As he described the assault to the news station, the women were "grabbing all over my body parts nonstop, asking me to go with them as if they were prostituting themselves. Asking for money. I assumed they were trying to get to my wallet – I don't know what they were trying to do. But they first touched my private part in the front, then private part in the back. Then rubbing all over my chest and grabbing me. If I had done that, I would have probably been arrested, thrown to the ground. Twenty years in prison. No out. These being women, I'm thinking they are not women. I am thinking they are men dressed as women because they had strength like men. They didn't have strength like average women. So it is a double standard.”

The victim also alleges that in addition to the molestation, the women followed him outside of the store and flashed him as he pumped gas, which should have cleared up any confusion he had about their gender.

One of the perpetrators has been arrested; the other is still on the run. While the victim isn't sure why he was targeted, he assumes that the women were part of a setup orchestrated by two men who had been standing outside of the gas station and who he assumed were their pimps. He also told reporters that he asked the station attendant for help to which the attendant allegedly responded, "What do you want me to do?”

Feeling threatened by the women who continued to follow him around, the victim said that he was left with no choice but to ask his friend on the phone to call the police for him.

And you know what? I don't blame him.

Although I do wonder if much of the fear he felt was based on his original thought that these women were trans women. And I also wonder about the other two men he mentioned as accomplices to these women, in particular, why they are not also not being pursued by police.

And while it is easy to experience these conflicts as we process the information, we might note they only really exist in a comparative context arising because enough people will defend harassment.

Ball continues, noting that, "our politics should never get in the way of our personal safety", explicitly applies the point to both sexes, and reminds, "while the victim may feel that the reaction his assault has received nationally is reflective of a double standard, he and others like him should know that women are rarely believed too". And this last is important, because she then recites the tale of a woman being filmed by an apparent accomplice to harrassment, resulting in her fearful flight out of a store and across the street. Ms. Ball concludes:

The videographer, also known as the assailant, made light of her panic by suggesting "Damn, it ain't that serious.”

Also suggesting that the incident was not that serious was the video's caption itself, which read, "When you're scared you might get raped.” Three laughing-to-tears emoticons followed it.

In general, when we fail to take sexual assault and harassment that happens to women seriously, we can't be too surprised when men are not given the benefit of the doubt as well.

And here we come to a conundrum. For all the #WhatAboutTheMen we might hear, explicitly or implicitly, it is easy enough to answer. Rape culture hurts men, too, and not just when they see their futures shattered by a sex crime conviction.

One would think some things are obvious, like, don't denounce the idea of 'rape culture' for generalizing about men and then indict men generally.

Or, you know, a failure to regard sexual harassment seriously might haunt you one day. I mean, sure, I get why people behave dubiously about the idea of women sexually harassing men; it's the same kind of gendertyping that compels men to not report domestic, intimate, and sexual violence visited upon them by their female partners. And this is kind of the problem.

Last week, one of our neighbors↑ noted Margaret Atwood, who compared a man's fear to fears expressed by women; the man was afraid women would laugh at him, thus making him feel bad; the women were afraid of being murdered.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

"Your worst fear": Matt Bors, Daily Kos, 28 May 2014

Last month I tried to make a point about street harassment:

You know, we have a joke, guys. At least, I think. Once upon a time. In the eighties it was someone's punch line about why we don't talk to each other at the urinals. These days we say it about random violence, or someone just flipping out.

You never know what kind of day he's having.

Now, we don't really need to review the point of the joke, right? To the other, really? Is fearsome random machismo the only reason you can think of, dude? Is that the only reason it matters what kind of day anyone else is having?

And I mention that blog post↱ because Ms. Ball's point about doubt and disbelief―

In general, when we fail to take sexual assault and harassment that happens to women seriously, we can't be too surprised when men are not given the benefit of the doubt as well.

―seems to invoke the same question.

That is to say, maybe societies won't get it together about these issues until men live in everyday fear of rape and murder because someone else wants to stick a dick in them.

Then again, that ain't happening anytime soon.

We gotta get out of this place; it's the last thing we will fail to do.

Notes:

Ball, Charing. "The Twerk Assault And The Need To Take Street Harassment Seriously". Madame Noire. 12 November 2015. MadamNoire.com. 2 December 2015. http://bit.ly/1O5qtSP

Bors, Matt. "Your worst fear". Daily Kos. 28 May 2014. DailyKos.com. 2 December 2015. http://bit.ly/1TmokpE

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Don't Ask ....

You know, it just comes with being from the Seattle area:

Chester the Molester was a comic strip about a guy, Chester, "who was interested in sexually molesting women and prepubescent girls," says my old friend Wikipedia. This vile comic strip, which ran in Hustler (of course), made child rape look like harmless and hilarious fun. Dwaine Tinsley, the creator of the strip, wound up going to prison for molesting his daughter—I'm guessing she would argue that child rape was neither harmless nor hilarious.

(Savage↱)

No ... no. Not the bit from history.

I'm just guessing somewhere between ninety and ninety-five percent of the audience will not want to read the rest of that particular post, which in turn is an eleven-month throwback from sex advice columnist and editorial director of The Stranger Dan Savage.

That's the part that comes with being in the Seattle area, the regular dose of, Er ... ah ... yeah.

The historical review is part of the answer to an advice letter phrasing part of its inquiry in the context of the old Chester the Molester comics. Not because the querient is molesting women or young girls, but because one of Chester's allegedly harmless and hilarious behaviors provides a reference point for the question.

And, yeah, that's the part you probably don't want to read.

Still, though, Savage does indeed recall a real thing.

And here we are, a quarter-century later, and I'm supposed to believe nobody remembers Chester.

Notes:

Savage, Dan. "SL Letter of the Day: Sniff Sniff." Slog. 2 December 2015. TheStranger.com. 2 December 2015. http://bit.ly/1OHF3m9

23. milkweed Valued Senior Member

Only a tiny bit of discouragement? There was no encouragement at all.

A video of high school kids reaction to rape.
    As soon as ONE mentions "thats rape" the tone changes for everyone but the loudmouth in front.

Drunk, in a basement, hanging with the guys, the reaction is clear. This ISNT good.

So much for the 'rape culture' meme.