What is anti-Semitism

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by S.A.M., Aug 4, 2006.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Have you ever looked for DNA or anthropological evidence to support your opinion?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm only repeating what I read from an anthropologist. DNA wouldn't prove anything.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

I know it's hard to believe in these peaceful times ... but I've read that the 'normal' situation for nations in those days was one of war. Turks would kill Christians; Christians would rape Turks, etc etc. The main difference with Jews was that they were always a minority in another's land, so they didn't attack back.

For how long? With Hitler it was a racial thing, but I think that was a recent idea. And right at the beginning it was probably just a tribal thing; I doubt they were oppressed by the Romans any worse than other conquered tribes. But for the bulk of two thousand years it seems to have been religiously motivated, or at least excused ("Christ killers").

I think Fraggle mentioned once that Jews in China and India were treated so well, most of them assimilated completely into their much larger host cultures. I wonder how much the Muslim Dhimmi system and European pogroms did to keep Judaism, as a minority culture, alive.

Similarly, I object to the word "American" to refer to the United States when the Americas are two continents. "American" implies everything between Canada and Chile. I once participated in a discussion on a language forum where we agreed "Americans" should instead be called "United Statesians". Unfortunately, the rest of the world didn't follow our enlightened example

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

9. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't mind seeing that movie

The Hindu Unity site is interesting, but it's a pity it's so anti-Islam ... that Kahane site it links to reads like a Jewish Bin Laden

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Oh, sorry, I had missed that! But I'm not really surprised. The Bajrang Dal is the Hindu equivalent of fundamentalism (same group involved in the Babri Masjid fiasco).

Anyway I was just looking to give you a take on Indian Jews. I knew one Jewish guy back in Bombay and like all other Indians, you really can't tell the ethnicity of someone unless you ask or they are wearing something distinctive that proclaims their religion. If you ever go to India be prepared for very personal questions from absolute strangers!

11. Tnerb Banned Banned

My god. Does no one own the book "Existentialism from Doestoevsky to Sartre"?????????????????????????????????

Sartres "Portriate of an anti-semi" is there! It's probably on the net! Wow! "A person attributed half or whatnot of the states misfortunes" BLA BLA BLA it's there, clear and crystal, they hate jews, they condemn them, they lie to themselfs, they're bastards.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Who is "they" Brent?

13. Tnerb Banned Banned

the anti-semites i think
    *Verrrrryyy confused.......*

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yes I got that.

I am trying to figure out why anti-Semitism has persisted since the 3rd century BCE and maybe even before that.

Why do anti-Semites dislkie the Jews? What is their justification for persisting in this kind of behavior against a group that maintains itself and does not force it's beliefs on any other group?

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Exactly because the group does maintain itself, and refuses to completely assimilate. I think there might be something instinctive about rejecting people that look or act differently. From a genetic perspective, anyone who is so different obviously doesn't share a high percentage of your DNA, and so any altruism towards them is a waste.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Perhaps you are right. The Jews in India did assimilate but would have had relatively little difficulty in doing so since Indians have always maintained separate and distinct cultures in relative harmony and intermarriages are rare and used to be (and still are outside cities) considered socially unacceptable. Perhaps this is the reason why they did not face any discrimination in India?

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yes, Jesus would not have been crucified in India, they would just say, "oh, another holy man.".

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

But he would have had too much competition and so his message may not have spread as much as it did!

19. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

he would have had cooler clothes, thats for sure.

swamis DEFINITELY dressed better than jewish prophets. i would bet my bottom dollar on it.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm guessing you've never actually seen one
    http://members.aol.com/Nattyhed/Pictures/sadhumen.jpg

21. hug-a-tree Live the life Registered Senior Member

I think it's when people say unfair things about the Jews. Like hurtful things that aren't really helping anyone by saying.

People certainly don't have to like Jews, but if they don't they can at least keep their mouths closed about it and not hurt anyones feelings.

22. Tnerb Banned Banned

Sartre sums up by saying he is a man who gives up his humanity.
    Or something.
    You guys really should read em.

23. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

you owe me a dollar.

if jesus had dressed like those guys, i would follow him to the ends of the earth.

from what i understand, those dudes can ride the trains for free, right?