What is a Real Christian?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Bowser, Jun 17, 2016.

?

What is a Christian's greatest virtue?

1. Faith

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Piety

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Humility

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Charity

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  5. Love

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  6. Hope

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Courage

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  8. Justice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Temperance

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Prudence

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

When did Jesus torture anyone eternally?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Surly youv'e herd of Gods eternal hell... an Jesus is a big suporter of his dad.!!!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Is the absense of temperance a sin, Clueluss?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

On jugment day... i highly suspect that Jesus will pull the handle when those wit-out temperance step on the trap door to hell

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I thought I'd made it clear that, being atheist, I considered Jesus to be distinct from God - for starters, one's real, one's not. (It also means Heaven and Hell have no truck with me. And souls, while we're at it.)

It should go without saying but Jesus existed long before Christianity came along. They are two completely separate events.

Perhaps take a page from the Jews. Jesus was a great philospher and a good man - he just wasn't God made flesh.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  9. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I think the research shows that it's more likely that Jesus wasn't in fact a historical man either.

10. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Sure he was! He was a landscaper for a gated community close by, until he was gored by a bore.

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Some research, not the research.
    I think it's well within the realm of plausibility that he was.

Then again it's a moot point. Whether or not he was real, we only know of his actions through stories anyway. Him not being real doesn't really affect that.

Which raises the interesting question: is a real role model qualitatively better than a fictional role model?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  12. Seattle Valued Senior Member

You are correct regarding "some" rather than "the". Poor choice of words on my part.

I think that as a role model one isn't necessarily better than the other (real vs imagined).

It's all a moot point in another regard. The Bible isn't anything (if actually read) that one would want as a role model in the first place.

13. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

As is often the case, these threads sometimes stray from the main topic. Being that religion is often introduced at a young age, I thought Beer w/Straw had touched on an interesting point with her post. I just wanted to explore it some more.

Religion wasn't a big influence in my youth, nor was it a big influence for those with whom I associated.

14. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Ok... Jesus is a good roll model if one assumes that Heaven... Hell... God an souls are not real... an cheery-pick only the good stuff about Jesus from the Holey Bible.!!!

Hmmm... if you leave out the bad-stuff/horrors i supose any cult leader coud be consiedered a good roll model.!!!

15. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I think you've got it backwards.
    It think Jesus was a real person. And he didn't think he was the son of God.
    He certianly didn't lead a cult. He had his ideas about how to live a good life, and was annoyed that others lived it with such artifice.

It was other people that built the whole cult upon him, all the God and brimstone stuff was attached to him, long after the fact - like centuries after, when the Romans decided to fold several religions into one.

Watch Monty Python's Life of Brian for a humorous take on how Jesus inadvertantly and unwillingly came to be such a superhero.

16. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

What makes Yeshua a good role model without all the stuff you mentioned?

Jan.

17. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Well... everbody has ther own ideas of what a good roll modle is... but id be leary of anybody who is suportive of... or thanks that eternal torture is fair an just.!!!

Whats an example of the best philsophy that you thank Jesus had.???

18. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Even at 8 years old i was highly suspect of Holey Bible stuff... an at around 16 i found out that my best 2 frinds (one was Church of Christ an the other was Baptist) thout each other was goin to hell... an it just puzzled me how they coud beleive such stuff about each other... addin to my idea that Holey Bible believers had a screw loose.!!!

19. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I don't think it's all bad. I had a friend whose father was a truck driver--nice guy, never said a nasty word, cared well for his family. I never caught any hint of religious sentiment from the guy. He had a near-death experience at work. From that point on he was a changed man. He sold his house, sold his truck, bought a boat and took his family to the South Pacific to do missionary work. I think some people have an epiphany, an experience that changes their entire perspective. Some people are born into it, others are simply searching.

A sense of spirituality seems to be a common thread for people. It has expressed itself in one form or another throughout history. It's kinda hard to ignore.

20. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I dont promote teechin superstition.!!!
    I agree... i grew up wit it an im perty much surrounded by it here in the Bible belt... but i just ant superstitious.!!!

21. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

[QUOTE="cluelusshusbund, post: 3390534, member: 43960]
    I agree... i grew up wit it an im perty much surrounded by it here in the Bible belt... but i just ant superstitious.!!![/QUOTE]

There's nothing wrong with that. I think the inclination is stronger in some people than in others.

22. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Fine . But why would Yeshua be a good role model without the stuff you mentioned?

What is eternal torture, and where is it mentioned in any scripture, let alone the Bible?

Jan.

23. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I dont know... i was speekin from Daves perspective... an in the meantime im waitin for him to give clues that might help answr that.!!!
    That hell is everlastin is not an uncomon belief amoung Bible Belivers... but aparently like you... i dont believe any of it ether... ie... eternal torture means whatever it means to diferent people who believe such stuff an thats who im talkin to when i speek of it... so mayb one of those believers can pont to scripture it which its explained.!!!