What is a civilization?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by stanleyg, Nov 4, 2006.

1. stanleyg Cranky old fool Registered Senior Member

What is a civilization?

Hopefully, when members of our body of Christ read my thread it will enlighten you spiritually, intellectually and legally. Pardon my speech. It may sound as a tongue twister. Yet, such is unavoidable due to the topic.

A civilization is a civic society that seeks to secure the civil liberties of its civilians. The civilians, who live within the city elect civic officials to legislate civil laws. The civil laws permit the civilians to settle his or her civil dispute in a civilized fashion. The civic community benefits when each civilian demonstrates his or her civility to act civil.

In contrast, an uncivilized and/or rural society, seeks to secure law and order through primitive means of enforcing martial law. Martial law does not acknowledge the civil liberties of its civilian population. Rather, its ruling class legislates laws that order the civilians to believe and/or behave in a uniform manner to reflect the views of the moral majority.

Under martial law, the State can court martial a civilian as if he or she were a militant soldier. A militant soldier is construed as property. Thus, he or she is not afforded his or her civil right to petition the government for a redress of grievances. Whereas, property may not bring suit in court (See Dred Scott vs. Irene Sandford 1865 USC).

In retaliation, the militants take up arms against the government to defend his or her civil rights through uncivilized means. The repercussion leads to a reckless endangerment of each civilian. As the danger escalates to crisis levels, then the civilians are coerced to pay higher taxes to the government. The government utilizes the taxes to hire police and/or military to protect the civilian population from the militants, who refuse to be ordered around by the government.

The end product of imposing martial law upon a civilian population is anarchy against the government and/or complete collapse thereof.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Leo Volont Registered Senior Member

Huh!? Where did you get that Barbarian Propaganda?

Examine every Civilization in its growth phase and its Golden Age. You will find that it encourages Collective Institutions.

Then examine every Civilization in its decline into Barbarism and Dark Age disintegration. It is there that that we have the Propaganda for Civil Liberties. What are "Civil Liberties"? Well, that is the Rape and Pillage of Civilization, or rather the Justifications for it.

You need to understand the primary practical difference between Civilization and Barbarism, and that is that Civilization can support more than 10 times the Population Levels of Barbarism. Those who, in a Civilized World, advocate Civil Liberties and Freedom, well, they might as well be passing around petitions for Death Camps. We can choose between Civilization and Collective Institutions, or we can have Viking and Hun Freedoms with the concommittent Kill Offs.

Indeed, the West is now doing its best. First by abandoning Africa to the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse: War, Famine, Plague and Rap Music. And then there is the War against the One Billion Muslims. Certainly the West will follow this with their War on Asia. We can remember a few years back when America was purposefully provoking an armed conflict with China by sending its Spy Planes to knock down the Chinese Defenders. It was interrupted by the Twin Towers Opportunity to Declare War on World Islam, but the America Defense Establishment will remember that their Lock on Wealth depends on always having some Next Enemy.

So, with so many efforts going toward assureing the Depopulation necessary for the success of Barbarism, don't go telling us that this is Civilization.

You are simply practicing your Orwellian... or Huxlian... 'new speak'. Redefining your words to make black into white and evil into good.

Maybe you should see if the Republicans need a new speech writer.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Civilization is literally "the building of cities" and that remains a good and useful definition. The essence of village life was the fact that people lived only among those they were personally acquainted with and/or related to, and as a pack-social species we have an instinct to trust and care for them. The essence of civilization was for people to learn to live in harmony and cooperation among strangers, the people who their instincts tell them are competitors for scarce resources. The history of civilization has been the conflict between our primitive instincts and the reasoned and learned behaviors made possible by our uniquely enormous brains. Although we have not completed the transition, reason and learning have steadily prevailed.

Civil liberties are a need that arose as civilizations became larger and assimilated tribes whose traditions, beliefs and customs were increasingly diverse and caused conflict, and as their organization became so large and complex that a professional governing class became a power unto itself. Freedom from persecution for being different from the majority, freedom from punishment for suggesting that there are flaws in the system, and freedom from persecution for being in the way of a power grab by friends of the ruling class are essential to the success and progress of civilization.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Steadily prevaled? Then why are crime rates steadily increasing?
    Why is poverty and hunger on the rise?
    Why is the difference between rich and poor steadily increasing?
    Why are racial conflicts on the rise?
    Why are cultural conflicts on the rise?
    Why are religious conflicts on the rise?

Reason and learning? Why are foreigners becoming the doctors and scientists in the USA? ...with education of the young growing worse and worse as time goes on?

Maybe you should have another long, indepth look at this thing we call "civilization", huh, Fraggle?

Baron Max

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

They are not "steadily increasing." They have been going up and down in vague cycles ever since we started charting them and you have the curmudgeon's favorite vantage point of the bad side of a cycle. The crime rate in the USA has in fact been slowly falling in fits and starts as the Baby Boomers drag the average age of the population upward, since--duh--it's invariably young people who commit the most crimes and there used to be so dadgum many of the little buggers. The majority of inmates of American prisons are there for non-violent drug offenses, which are not even properly offenses since the laws under which they were prosecuted are blatantly unconstitutional. If you normalize out the effect of the stupidity of the Religious Redneck Retards that have been gaining control of the government since they stole our flag during the Vietnam War, there is no crime "epidemic."
    In your storybook-perfect era of nomadic hunter-gatherers, the per-capita GDP of the human race was so low that people had only the food they could wrest from the wild, the clothes they could make from the hides left from their meals, and a pocketful of wood-and-stone trinkets they could carry with them as they traveled without so much as draft animals. It is now so high that almost the entire population have permanent dwellings and the technologies of agriculture and animal husbandry, most have running water, access to motorized transportation, electronic communication and a formal educational system, and something like half of us have ranges, refrigerators, cars and stereos. Poverty and hunger have been on the decrease for more than ten thousand years and you can only make your point because the decrease is not monotonic and you can point so angrily to a temporary setback that you expect to distract your listeners from seeing the overall optimistic trend.
    A mere five hundred years ago the middle class was so small that it was an almost insignificant factor in the numbers of the economy, despite its power as an economic engine. Today there are vast swaths of contiguous nations in which the middle class constitutes something like three fourths of the population. If you're taking the difference between Bill Gates and the poster child in Darfur as your measure, then you're simply exploiting the innumeracy of the American public.
    During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries the entire civilizations of two non-Christian, non-European populations were obliterated. The reduction of their populations in the same campaign is not known with accuracy but a median estimate is about fifty percent, which would be at least forty million people--around eight percent of the total world population. The campaigns of the Ottomans, the Nazis, the Stalinists and the Maoists have not come close to that order of magnitude. WWII's death toll of 20 million was barely one percent of the much larger world population of the time and no civilizations have been wiped from the face of the earth since the demise of the Aztecs and Incas.
    Who gives a shit? No nation stays on top forever and maybe America's ride is over. The number of people throughout the world who will lament that decreases every year. The universities of China and India have become bona fide institutions of higher learning and the day will come when names like Oxford, Harvard, and Sorbonne are known only by historians. Literacy has been spreading since the invention of printing and public education is the norm in most places. I have to agree with you that reason and learning are on the wane in America--again because of the influence of the RRRs--but the long-term worldwide trend is in the opposite direction. This too shall pass--either America's fashionable ignorance or America's world leadership.
    I think I just did, dude. It's your look that is short and shallow. Everyone can look at their own place in their own time and identify its shortcomings. But it's the long run and the whole planet that count and in that context we're doing just fine.

For the goddess's sake Max, do you only think about the era in which you personally live, or do you care at all about the entire human race including those who will come after you?

Civilization has not progressed steadily, or even monotonically. There have been many setbacks. The Dark Ages in particular were a blight on our history caused by the cancer of patriarchal monotheism that keeps metastasizing out of the Middle East. There were many periods before and since then when misanthropic Barons felt certain that the decline they observed during their lifetime was an irreversible trend. But they were always wrong.

Pick ten widely distributed places on Earth and take a snapshot every thousand years going back to the Dawn of Civilization in that particular spot. That will give you something like fifty data points. I'll bet you won't have ten data points that represent a net decrease in quality of life over a thousand-year span and probably not two in the same place.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I give up! Optimism creates it's own optimistic outlook on virtually everything. I have to admit, an optimist is difficult to have a discussion with simply because everything he sees, he sees through rose-colored glasses.

I give up! I concede, ....civilization is going so wonderful and perfect that we should all go out and get drunk and celebrate the human achievements. Those who can't afford to get drunk and celebrate ...well, fuck 'em, we'll just ignore the worthless bastards!

Baron Max

10. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

A bit like trying to discuss anything involving Iraq with you, Baron. Now you know how it feels, I suppose.

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I think that's probably true of each and every person here at the sciforums. This is not a discussion forum, it's a glorified blog, that's all. We each have our own opinions, and those were formed long before we posted here.

Baron Max

12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Baron, why do you retreat into a tone of disgusted resignation just at the point where someone gives you the response you seem to ask for?

I have stipulated that if you pick ten points on earth that are in as culturally and ethnically diverse locations as can be reasonably chosen, you will not be able to find a thousand-year period in more than a couple of them during which the quality of life decreased overall, and never two such periods in one place. That will be a proper scientific measurement. I'm letting you pick the spots and I already gave you a freebie on another thread: Europe between, say, 300CE and 1300CE, the Dark Ages, Christianity at its all-time worst.

And I'm still confident that I'll be proven right, that in the long run civilization has been a success.

On the other thread I have pointed out that in most cases those who are too poor to get drunk and celebrate are still far more prosperous than their forebears. And that in the exceptional cases the downturn in quality of life can be seen in perspective as something that happens periodically but always returns to an even higher level. I admit that the advance of civilization has not been monotonic but that the advances have always outbalanced the declines.

Why do you choose not to respond to this but instead act like I'm speaking in woo-woo?

13. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I agree. I think ye're right, Fraggle, civilization is a great success.

Baron Max

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Still not actually responding to any of my relatively straightforward statements and questions, I see.

This is SciForums, after all. We try to stick to the scientific method. A major part of that is the principle that extraordinary assertions require extraordinary substantiation. After ten centuries of steadily advancing civilization, during which people have overwhelmingly chosen to live in it when given the choice, it is an extraordinary assertion to say it's not working. I think you can do better than this.

Give us a clue to what it is you find so intolerable about civilization that in order to be rid of it you'd give up instrumental music, written language, cats, plumbing, antibiotics, hundreds of acquaintances from diverse cultures, intellectual stimulation, not worrying about your neighbors hurting or cheating you, and...

... the highest probability in all history of being born in a place where A. You'll live into your 70s in good health and B. The absolute worst thing that ever happens to you is being fired from your job or having the woman you love walk out on you.

15. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

well, geez, Fraggle, I said I agreed ....what the fuck more do you want? My first unborn son or daughter? ...perhaps I can write you a check for all of the money that I have accummulated? ...or perhaps I can procure 72 virgins for you to enjoy? What the fuck more do you want?!

Baron Max

16. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

The hallmark of civilization is year-round production of fermented/distilled beverages.

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Actually, alcohol production was one of the early technologies that Stone Age people were able to develop.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

They also discovered tea, tobacco, coca, and, if I'm not mistaken, hemp. So take solace in the fact that if we somehow manage to destroy civilization, we'll still be able to get high.

18. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Now just how in the fuck do you know that???? Is that like many of your other "facts" that you use in your long, drawn-out posts about civili-fuckin'-zation?

More of your "facts", Fraggle? Do you just sit around invent these many little "facts" so as to make your theory about civilization sound like more than just plain, ordinary bullshit?

Baron Max

19. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Heh. Whup him, Fraggle. Whup him good.

20. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, but he cheats! He has the only known history books for the Stone Age! That's the only way he could know that the cavemen made fine malt liquor and beer! Most of the rest of us ain't got those well-written history books.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Baron Max

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

You seem to be talking about the recent laws that throw the principle of habeus corpus out. All the president has to do is declare someone, even an American citizen, an enemy combatant, and you no longer have any means to respond. You could be taken from your house and held in prison for the rest of your life. This is contrary to 200 years of United States history.

I have no idea what you meant by "Body of Christ", it seems irrelevent, since the United States is a secular state.

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

That might be true, but virtually all of our laws, rules, social values and societal norms and ethical principles come almost directly from religious beliefs. Secular? Yeah, but what the fuck does that mean in terms of the realities of it all?

Baron Max

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, the form of government most supported by the bible is a monarchy.