What if?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Avatar, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Andre Registered Senior Member

I agree with Edufer. The solution is C: The global temperatures will remain within fairly narrow limitations as it has been for the past 5 million years, including the ice ages (because there were no ice ages, only migrating climate zones).

Global warming is only in the fear of the people cultivated by a demagogic culture. Take for instance the Bellamy case:

http://ff.org/centers/csspp/library/co2weekly/2005-05-26/bellamy.htm

Now, is sir Bellamy a sincere hero concerned with the envirnonment?

Or is he a greedy crook:

Global warming is more like a cult. There shall be global warming. Always, heads you qwin, tails I loose: look at a typical example of that:

http://www.worldclimatereport.com/i...rctic-ice-a-global-warming-snow-job/#more-113

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Argon Registered Member

There are obviously very few climatologists on this page.

#1 Warming of the atmosphere, begets cooling. In warming, cloud cover increases, there by limiting solar penetration and heating.... sort of a two edged sword... Moisture increases and then the cold sets in,,, this is not to mention the storms that would ensue as to the climate change... The heat from the waters of the Oceans will increase the intensity of the equatorial superstorms and they will approach land, and make their affects, perhaps it has all begun,,, Today, scientists have discovered that the Gulf Stream, that provides warmth to the UK during the Winter months is slowing...

Awareness and preparation will be the key to survival... Just remember, Earth is the Host, and we have No Control with exception to a short destructive power...

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Andre Registered Senior Member

But then again, it may be just media hype. What is the real scientific take?

http://ocean.mit.edu/~giulio/publications/Boccaletti_et_al_GRL_2005.pdf

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

Sorry Argon, but you said that "there are few climatologist here", and then you wrote almost the entire Green Litany. It is obvious you are not a climatologist and have very little idea of what cilmatology is.

Warming begets cooling? Then use your oven for making ice for your scotch! LOL!

8. Argon Registered Member

Hehehehe,,, Edufer, you seem to be unable to identify the actual events that the Earth is capable of.

Ice in my Scotch!!!!! Who on this Planet would screw up a One Malt Fiddich With Ice!!!!!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Argon Registered Member

Look at it this way Edufer,,, the Earth heats,, moisture evaporates,, uhhh creates clouds,,, the atmosphere interacts in both hemispheres,,, the rising of the warm moist air interacts with the cold upper levels,,, results??? Would you like to fill in the blank?

Now this issue of the Gulf Stream slowing down,, I realize it is a bit contradictory to what I said of the warming and cooling of the Earth, clouds and stuff.. just trying to make it simple for you. The heating has already ocurred, the shift is in the works. Blink or close your eyes, the events of the next 8 years will be Historic...

10. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

Argon, I don't drink whiskey, only good french and argentinean red wine, and excellent 9º belgian and Pilsen beer... But I've heard about the expression of "scotch on the rocks", and I don't think that means Old McGregor getting drunk sitting on some stones.

11. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

i would fill the blanks with: Earths' Thermostat. it has been working for eons. Never fails.

Had you kept up with recent studies (and some oldies, too) you'd learned that the Gulf stream has been cycling from slow to fast to slow, etc, for ages unknown. BTW, is not the Gulf stream that keeps Europe warm. If you knew something about climatology you would tell people in the board which is the phenomenon that makes the trick. Keep trying!

12. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

You can bet your boots they will! By the end of 2006 it will start to be really cold, and by 2030 there will be the double Gleissber solar minimum that will plunge us back to the Little Ice Age. Want to bet more than your boots?

Andre, Argon is tender. It is all yours.

13. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Little Ice Age might not be so bad... proper white Christmases every year in Britain, frost fairs on the frozen Thames and Rhine, less sunbathing in the cooler summers, so fewer skin cancers and cateracts... just got to be careful with food stocks. If the northern seas cooled down a degree or two, of course, they'd actually become more productive biologically.

14. Wings Registered Senior Member

We have all been talking about gradual change. What about a drastic immediate change like nuclear winter? (Assuming anyone survives in the first place) Is there anything we can do in the aftermath of such?

15. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Wrap up warm, burn anything we can to stay alive (timber and furniture from blast-flattened towns, even corpses); kill each other over cans of beans and loaves of bread, try to secure a remote location where there was minimal fallout. Wait for the skies to clear and hope you can start growing new food.

16. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

What is described in Cat's Cradle is how I imagine the end-point of all these changes, nuclear winter and the like in particular.

17. Edufer Tired warrior Registered Senior Member

What's described in Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle actually has nothing to do with nuclear winter. The mad scientist made a substance that froze all water it came into contact with, and therefore the ocean would freeze if someone dropped any amount of this substance into a creek that eventually comunicated with the ocean. Higly implausible, though, but, Vonnegut was an excellent reading (until a few years ago, when he went wacko and converted into the green religion). Too bad.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  18. Okeydoke Registered Senior Member

In another 13,000 to 14,000 years, I'll buy some good warm winter clothing and a good heater just to be safe.

Okeydoke

19. rlpete2 Registered Member

Well, that could be, as the heat storage capacity of the ocean is immense, and might only increase mean oceanic temperature by a fraction of a degree, yet disrupt current flow and distribution of heat.

However, migrating climate zones is still a very serious matter.

20. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Ironic that our Paleolithic ancestors, who migrated slowly along with the climatic zones and their game animals, wouldn't have been much inconvenienced by such changes - in fact, they probably didn't even notice. Whereas the human race of today, advanced, sophisticated, knowledgable and settled, would indeed find climatic change a serious matter...

21. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Too many of us, that's the main problem--where do we shift to, now that all the continents are full to the brim? Tell you what, if things do go pear-shaped climatically, it's going to give a hell of a kick to the space programme. Everyone and their dog and cat and kids are going to be heading out to Mars/Venus/asteroids/wherever to get away from the rising seas.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

If you can buy tickets into orbit for less than 1000 dollars a pound. Unless you can do that, the rich will build summer cottages in orbit and the rest of us will just have to make do. Even then you leave most of the world to rot, but at least a good chunk of the western world goes.

23. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

If sea level rise does have massive effects on demographics and economics in the near future, I doubt that any nation will be able to afford large-scale space travel. Even the USA will have its budget stretched with flood defences, famine relief, re-housing, agricultural adaptions etc.