What if we were the aliens ?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by jpappl, Oct 15, 2008.

1. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Enmos,

"What's the difference ?"

Ok here we go.

You were referring to angels and aliens and yes well this is going to sound incredibly stupid and it is totally unfounded and I have no way of proving any of it. I know, get on with it.

I was looking at artwork from 7000 bc to now from a ufo/alien site, the stone carvings from as old as 7000bc were most intriguing because there would have been no influence. The more modern artwork reveals the saucers as the craft from the heavens landing with the gods in them.

Some of the artwork has some possible reasons for the inclusion of saucers in the sky but the stone carvings due to their age don't make sense. I just don't see where they would have come up with the idea of such a thing. Knowledge is somewhat relevant to what is known.

So I wonder if what was thought as of Angels from heaven wasn't instead aliens from other worlds at moments in our history dating back 10,000 years or more. This is pure nonsense I know but would have more validity if them damn aliens would just show up and it ain't any crazier than any other religion, and no I am not going to start a new one.

It's not likely that aliens would just show up in the 1950's unless it was due to Hiroshima and the like. Maybe they have come for centuries or more, maybe never have and never will.

So it was just an odd moment where it hit me and has no foundation in the understanding or meaning of the art. The stone carvings are most intriquing though I recommend taking a look, I am going to pursue more information on the ancient carvings to see if there is something that has meaning which I am missing that could offer a more earthly answer.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Enmos "knows" angels & aliens visiting Earth are impossible so he "knows" it shouldn't be discussed.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Stranger,

"Enmos "knows" angels & aliens visiting Earth are impossible so he "knows" it shouldn't be discussed."

Care to elaborate ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, I mean saying that angels are aliens is no different from saying that aliens are angels.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What are you on ?

9. amark317 game developer-in-training Registered Senior Member

STFU NOOB!

no I'm just kidding welcome.

10. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

Whoa. You guys didn't realize that carbon-based life forms were created by the original silicates?

11. Nasor Valued Senior Member

It probably depends on what sort of space travel capabilities we have. If we have some sort of freaky sci-fi faster-than-light spaceship that can easily move lots of people and equipment around very quickly, we might want to conquer them or negotiate some sort of deal where we get part of their land to set up our own colony, mine their resources, etc. There might be quite a lot of commerce between us and them. On the other hand, if it takes years of travel and a bajillion dollar ship just to get a dozen people to the alien planet and back (which seems like the most realistic scenario based on our current understanding of physics), we might decide that it isn't even worth revealing ourselves to them.

12. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Enmos,

"No, I mean saying that angels are aliens is no different from saying that aliens are angels."

I am splitting hairs, someone who believes in angels from a relgious point would view aliens as angels coming down from the heavens. Aliens could have been perceived as angels by people in the past. That doesn't mean there are aliens that have visited us, just that some of the artwork is intriguing when they portray angels.

So what's the difference, I was trying to state that aliens were misinterpreted as angels, key word, misinterpreted. Lion was saying that aliens are angels sent down from the heavens.

Other than that, take away the religious belief and interpretation and there is no difference.

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ok.
    But IF angels exist, aren't they by definition aliens ?

14. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Nasor,

"It probably depends on what sort of space travel capabilities we have. If we have some sort of freaky sci-fi faster-than-light spaceship that can easily move lots of people and equipment around very quickly, we might want to conquer them or negotiate some sort of deal where we get part of their land to set up our own colony, mine their resources, etc. There might be quite a lot of commerce between us and them. On the other hand, if it takes years of travel and a bajillion dollar ship just to get a dozen people to the alien planet and back (which seems like the most realistic scenario based on our current understanding of physics), we might decide that it isn't even worth revealing ourselves to them."

This is good. I am trying to understand better why or why not ET would make themselves known to us. How would we determine whether we make ourselves known or not.

The other question is where might we be in 500 years in our thinking when we consider how far we have come in the last 500. Now consider an ET 1000's of years ahead of us, or one we encounter thats 500 years behind us.

Thanks for your input Nasor.

15. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Enmos,

"Ok.
    But IF angels exist, aren't they by definition aliens ?"

No, angels are a religious term. They may or may not exist, don't believe they do.
    Aliens could have been confused with them as they already believed in angels. It could be suggested that aliens landed or made themselves known which spawned the IDEA of angels and or of gods. Then yes they could be becuase they just called them angels and gods and assigned powers to them that were unwarranted. Wouldn't be hard to do considering the technological advantage they would likely have.

But there might be other species of aliens that are not angel like in the least.

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Yea but, if angels existed they wouldn't be of this Earth.. that would make them aliens. Sorry, I feel I'm splitting hairs here..

Daemons ?

17. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Sorry if I misunderstood this time.
    You sometimes seem on a kick of stifling discussion by insisting something is impossible when you have no way of knowing.
    And sometimes when the possibility or impossibility isn't even related to the discussion.

18. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You misunderstood

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Enmos,

"Yea but, if angels existed they wouldn't be of this Earth.. that would make them aliens. Sorry, I feel I'm splitting hairs here.."

We both are a little, no problem.

Is the belief in angels from a religious standpoint of beings from space or from above the clouds ? Did people view them as something ET in origin living on another planet or in another galaxy, or just above the clouds ready to come down to help at anytime ? Same goes for God.

But I agree that IF angels existed and IF they were not of this earth or earth's atmoshphere than they would be aliens regardless.

"“ Originally Posted by jpappl
    But there might be other species of aliens that are not angel like in the least. ”

Daemons ?

And the story goes round and round. Good catch.

20. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think Angels find their source in hallucinations.
    I would think the ancients were not retarded, and would have described these aliens and their craft more accurately than the supposed UFO's in the Bible.

Er.. I didn't catch get that

21. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Enmos,

"I would think the ancients were not retarded, and would have described these aliens and their craft more accurately than the supposed UFO's in the Bible."

I agree which means they probably didn't encounter aliens or purposely altered their meaning.

" Er.. I didn't catch get that"

After all the talk about aliens and angels I couldn't resist laying that out there because the logical answer would be Daemons. And you caught it.

I will try to find a link with some art etc.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ok, cool

23. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Enmos,

Here,

http://www.crystalinks.com/ufohistory.html

I am most interested in the 6000bc african desert one and the like. But when you first look at some of the paintings with saucers in the skies it's odd no matter how you try to explain it.

Just found it interesting, not claiming to know all about these. I plan on doing some more research to better educate myself on the subject.