What if we were the aliens ?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by jpappl, Oct 15, 2008.

1. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Wanted to hear from others who have thought about the idea of ET landing here or us as the ET landing elsewhere.

Imagine 500 years in the future, we have developed an ability to cross the vastness of space to some degree. We sent out a fleet 50 years ago that has come across the first known planet other than Earth with a life source capable of altering their environment to a degree that we know they have higher intelligence than your typical barn animal.

Do we land ? Would you want to be the first to step off the ship ? if so why and if not why not ? Do we even make ourselves known ?

I don't know if we have been visited before but I do have an argument for them not landing on the white house lawn.

Getting past our laws of physics for space travel is not to be considered here, just a social species to species argument of what kind of impact it would have on them or us.

Any ideas ?

JA

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

If you measure intelligence that way, intelligence is a curse not a blessing.
    I sincerely hope we never make it as far as in your description above.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Enmos,

I would use a base of intelligence that we could observe, such as buildings etc that any species would have to be able to manipulate their environment to create. You can place any level in between.

Remember that in 500 years you would hope that we are farther along on the social evolution scale as well. Hopefully.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. MetaKron Registered Senior Member

Human intelligence is just a new improved animal intelligence. They're OK and so are we.

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

From what perspective ?

9. lionwarrior Registered Member

First off, Aliens are Angels.... The word Alien was invented to cover up the existence of Angels and take religious belief out of what they truly are.... I will say no more on that except to say the truth lies in the words alone. Second, they come here to give us information. To guide us... to help us... to bring justice... They don't come here to cause controversy or get attention...

10. jpappl Valued Senior Member

My question was what if we were the aliens landing on another planet that would obviously be affected by our arrival.

Would we land ? Would you want to be the first out the door ?

JA

11. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Lion,

I thought that myself once just viewing the history of art and cave/rock drawings showing saucer type craft.

I do not have a full grasp of the art of the time but my first thoughts were that it was very interesting to say the least. In my eyes what I am seeing doesn't have a better explanation. But again there may be a better explanation that my ignorance on the subject could uncover.

JA

12. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Lion,

I got that backwards, you said aliens are angels.

I was saying that the angels were aliens.

Sorry, my bad.

JA

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What's the difference ?

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Are you the only person on Earth who is not familiar with forty years of "Star Trek?" That's what the Federation's "Prime Directive" is all about. You have to leave less advanced cultures alone so they can develop in their own way. You can only make yourself known to them when they develop warp drive and are on their way to discovering galactic civilization and interacting with other species.

Of course like any too-simple rule, the Prime Directive was hard to follow. Generally the captain of the Enterprise (coincidentally these situations never presented themselves to the crews of other ships

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) would make the decision to intervene in order to save a species from total destruction by natural forces or war, so long as it could be done without revealing ourselves.

We've seen the Prime Directive violated way too many times right here on Earth. Meddling by the more advanced civilizations prevented entire less-advanced civilizations from developing. We lost an irreplaceable unique part of human culture every time that happened.

So the Prime Directive has two purposes. One is to be charitable and prevent a repeat of the "Colonial Era" on Earth, an era whose victims are still struggling to recover. The other is to allow cultures to develop so the universe winds up with more diversity.

15. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Fraggle,

Of course I am aware of star trek. I was looking for ideas of individuals here to elicit any new ideas on the subject.

"We've seen the Prime Directive violated way too many times right here on Earth. Meddling by the more advanced civilizations prevented entire less-advanced civilizations from developing. We lost an irreplaceable unique part of human culture every time that happened."

This is where I was going. Look at how we dealt with societies we encountered 300 years ago, then 100 years ago, then 50 and now. We have changed our approach as our understanding evolved. Where might we be in 500 years.

It also raises the question how an alien species would approach us.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

JA

16. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

If tomorrow a practical method is found to travel the enormous distance, explore & colonize humanly habitable planets & we find 1 or more with intelligent yet primitive life, it'll be cowboys&indians all over again. If humans have the ability, they will invade, overwhelm, conquer, rape, lie to, steal from & slaughter them & dictate to them how & where they should live..
    The most fantasy part of Star Trek is so much peaceful benevolent interaction between Earthians & others.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2008
  17. Diode-Man Awesome User Title Registered Senior Member

Earth moves around the sun at about 69,000 miles per hour, and I do believe the sun is moving even faster than that through the galaxy. Sitting there at your computer you're moving thousands of miles per hour!

As travelers on an isolated planet such as Earth, we must learn to be nice to eachother.

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Our Galaxy is traveling at over 2 million miles per hour as well, so we are also going that speed.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Yeah, but on TNG they did make it clear that we only turned into those peace-loving people after World War Four.

20. lionwarrior Registered Member

Alien
    0,+2,-2,0,-2
    Angel

ALIEN
    1,12,9,5,14= 41
    ANGEL
    1,14,7,5,12= 39

As for your other question, I would certainly jump out and say hi to whomever we encountered without fear if we were to land on a planet as Aliens to them....

21. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

That did make it slightly more realistic.

22. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Lion,

"As for your other question, I would certainly jump out and say hi to whomever we encountered without fear if we were to land on a planet as Aliens to them...."

Have you ever seen the movie Deliverance ?

If we came across a society of beings but could not ascertain their defensive capabilities you would just jump out and say hi !, ok you first .

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

That would be incredibly stupid..