What Happened to the Bail Out?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Buffalo Roam, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

This is it.

I am happy to agree that most Democrats and Republicans in congress are idiots, have little idea what's going on and will most likely do nothing as the USA economy tanks.

You don't find it slightly ironic that soooo many people said two things about Bush Jr BEFORE he was elected. They said if you elect Bush (1) he push us into war and (2) he'll run America into the ground.

I saw Bush on TV last night and he was saying that we need to get out there and Shop Shop Shop or the Terrorists will win! Also, he'd hope Congress would pass his new tax-break for the ultra-mega-rich. As they pay sooo much in tax ... they are the one's that need that break the most! So, any Americans making over $250 million dollars a year will now get a free pass .. no tax for them at all, you know, to stimulate the economy and help out working class Americans..

Face it BR, everyone said GW Jr. was a tosser and the worst thing for America and WE WERE RIGHT!!! and you just can't stand it.

How long did you think we could borrow a trillion dollars a year and spend it on that cesspool Iraq? 100 years?!? Please! The head of the British Army was on the news just yesterday and said it is impossible to win the war in Afghanistan. Did you hear that one on FauX News? Iraq can break and run either way. The Chinese are signing new billion dollar oil deals with Iraq.

The only people that are going to be sitting pretty are Cheney and Halliburton. They're rolling in so much money they don't know what to do with it all! Except buy more compounds on the coast in UAE.

I posted that BUSH Jr. will go down in History as the WORST American President EVER and guess what BR... HE IS!!! Once the shit really hits the fan he and Cheney will be hated by so many Americans I'll be surprised someone doesn't put a bullet in the both of them.

I am 100% positive the GOP will split after this. The Xian wing nuts on one side and fiscal conservatives on the other.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I will explain it in a very simple way for BR:

Bailout =/= higher stockmarket

Simple enough?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Syzygys, your avatar is cute, ever think of running for VP?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Yours is sexy too, in a lesbian short of way...

8. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Oh, I see the problem. You guys thought the "bail out" was for the US economy.

No,No! They meant that the rich were bailing out of the crashing plane that is the US economy.
    And from what I've read they're taking so much money with them that even the very parachutes they're using are made of gold.

9. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Where I'm getting this idea is in this very post. Even if it's a Democrat bill, only 14 Republican Senators voted no; 91 House Republicans voted yea; a Republican president signed it in. They're the ones you should be getting angrier at! Your anger at the Democrats won't result in a thing since they don't campaign on limited government values. It's only when you hold the Republicans' feet to the fire will you actually see results.

10. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Are you that dense? Obtuse?

Again were do you get the Idea that I am not angry with them? They Voted for Democrat constructed Bill that is making the People of America pay for the old boy network screw up of the Democrats, and the Fannie/Freddie Fuck up is all Democrat.

It is still the Democrat's who crafted this Bail Out, it was the Democrats who took a simple 3 Page Bill, and expanded it to a 460+ Page Bill, so full of PORK that it slid through on the lard oozing from it, as payoffs to get it passed, and you think I am happy with those Republicans who were bought out, get a clue, and the Clue is, that it is a, Democratic Cover their ass bail out for Them and their Friends on the Boards of Fannie Freddie Fuck up, and even now like you they are shifting the blame to Republicans.

When you hold the Democrats accountable for their actions you will see results.

I plan to hold all who voted for this pile of lard accountable, and in my state they are all Democrats, we didn't have a Republican from my State to Vote for it, but all the Democrats did vote for it.

11. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Actions speak louder than words Buffalo. You say you're angry with them and yet most of what you've been posting thus far is nothing more than the usual partisan hackery of blaming the other party. In your OP there was not one mention of the word Republican. In the the thread you created in Politics on the same topic, not one mention of Republicans in that OP. If you're so angry with them, why do you continue to waste your time harping on the Democrats?

12. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Is the information I have posted true? it can be verified.

To me the Hack Partisan is you, you deny the facts that it was the Democrats who blocked reform.

McCain took action in 2005 that might have helped us avoid the severity of this current financial crisis. Democrats also took action in 2005 and stopped McCain's reforms.

13. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Yes Actions speek louder than words:

http://foro.univision.com/univision...essage.id=96477&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Andrew Cuomo and Fannie and Freddie
    How the youngest Housing and Urban Development secretary in history gave birth to the mortgage crisis
    By Wayne Barrett
    The Village Voice
    Tuesday, August 5th

...Andrew Cuomo, the youngest Housing and Urban Development secretary in history, made a series of decisions between 1997 and 2001 that gave birth to the country's current crisis. He took actions that—in combination with many other factors—helped plunge Fannie and Freddie into the subprime markets without putting in place the means to monitor their increasingly risky investments. He turned the Federal Housing Administration mortgage program into a sweetheart lender with sky-high loan ceilings and no money down, and he legalized what a federal judge has branded "kickbacks" to brokers that have fueled the sale of overpriced and unsupportable loans. Three to four million families are now facing foreclosure, and Cuomo is one of the reasons why.

14. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Yes the Actions of Republicans speak louder then words:

http://foro.univision.com/univision...essage.id=96477&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Republican Reforms Blocked by Democrats

In the year 2000 Congressman Richard Baker (R-La.) then the chairman of the House subcommittee that had jurisdiction over Fannie and Freddie introduced legislation to more tightly regulate the mortgage giants. The bill never saw the light of day. Congresspersons from both parties receive contributions from Fan & Fred (the list) and collectively they spent $174 million lobbying Congress the last ten years.

The result of Rep. Baker's legislation would not have been a surprise to Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) who had proposed tighter regulation in the 1990's only to find a highly paid Fannie Mae lobbyist stalking him at events in his district and who played hardball by directing calls to every mortgage holder in the Congressman's district falsely implying that Ryan meant to raise their rates.

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Fannie and Freddie are only a small part of this broader crisis. Republicans have been in control for at least 8 years and did nothing about it, even encouraged it.

16. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Yes Democrats in the Senate, their actions speak louder than words:

In 2004 another attempt was launched. The Senate took up a measure put forwarded by Senate Banking Committee Chairman Richard Shelby (R-AL) only to have it blocked again by Fan & Fred using Democrats as a partisan attack machine:

Fannie and Freddie chose to fight legislation in the Senate Banking Committee that embodied the administration's minimum requirements, particularly the receivership provision, in the late spring of 2004. The companies called in their chits and managed to obtain solid Democratic opposition to the bill crafted by the committee's chairman, Richard Shelby (R-Ala.). The committee also watered down the receivership provision. The partisan nature of the vote to send the bill to the floor virtually assured that it would not be taken up in the Senate unless Fannie and Freddie relented in their opposition ... but Fannie and Freddie would not budge. It may be that the [Fan&Fred] were banking on the defeat of President George W. Bush and on the assumption that a Democratic president would abandon the effort to pass tougher regulation. If that was their thinking, it was an exceedingly costly error.
    In the last year of the Republican Congress House GOP leaders were determined to try again. They put forward H.R. 1461 [109th]: Federal Housing Finance Reform Act of 2005. The bill would have stripped control of Fan & Fred from the Housing and Urban Development Department where Cuomo had turned it into a regulatory farce.

The bill would also introduce "anti advocacy provisions" barring money from Fan & Fred being used as a slush fund for liberal lobbying organizations.

Despite Democrat opposition to that measure the bill passed the House, but could not get a vote in the Senate even after the anti-lobbying provision was removed.

17. ashura the Old Right Registered Senior Member

Geez, Buffalo. Now I have to question whether or not you're that dense or obtuse. The point of my posts has thus far completely gone over your head!

18. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Then explain this:

Now explain why with two years of control they did nothing but business as usual?

The Democrat have been in Control for the Last two years, remember they took control of the House and Senate, and it was business as usual at Fannie Freddie Fuck up, Bonus's on Time and Golden Parachutes on the way out the door.

19. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

What that the Democrats are not responsible, or that I should be mad at the Republicans who sold their souls for 20 pieces of silver?

When are you going to hammer the Democrats who are the ones who brought us this pile of Pork Lard?

Did you even look at the information I posted? in support of the fact that it was the Democrats who protected their money machine, with which they paid off their friends and minions.

It was the Democrats who blocked any reform to Freddie and Fannie Fuck up, and let the problems metastasize in to the cancer that is destroying of our financial markets today.

It was the Democrats who in the last two years failed to take any action to stop this Scandal, and screw job to the People of America.

20. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

That is a distortion. Here is what Bloombergy reported on 6 October 2008:

"... Keating Five scandal involved McCain, who was in his first term in the Senate representing Arizona, and four Democratic senators, none of whom are still in office. They faced accusations of improperly intervening with federal regulators on behalf of Keating, an Arizona businessman and campaign contributor who was chairman of California-based Lincoln Savings and Loan Association.

The Senate Ethics Committee in 1991 ultimately cleared McCain of wrongdoing, though it said he had ``exercised poor judgment.''...

McCain devoted a chapter to the scandal in his book ``Worth The Fighting For.'' He wrote that his decision to meet with regulators on Keating's behalf was ``the worst mistake of my life'' ..."

From: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aPhSaL.Ohd7Y

I.e. McCain himself agreeded he should not have gone to bat for Keating. But as I recall Keating's CA network of Saving & Loans was based in Arizona and McCain was his representative from Az. at the time. Keating financially supported John, so it was sort of John's turn to pay back.

21. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

And who is the Bloomberg report? do they have oversight, are they the Senate Ethics Committee?, did they have full access to the information in the investigation?

The legal decision from the Senate Ethics Committee, was that:

The Ethics Committee ruled that the involvement of McCain in the scheme was also minimal, and he too was cleared of all charges against him

Senators John Glenn and John McCain were cleared of having acted improperly

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Cleared of all charges? Like Ayers?

23. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Bloomberg is perhaps the most respected financial news service in the USA - I would think you knew that. I check their posts at least 5 times each business day. (I remember reading on about the mud slinging turn the campaign has taken.)

Milkweed's post 17 is fair also IMHO and here is what (from the wiki link there) may have influced McCain to suspend his normally high ethics:

"... Between 1982 and 1987, McCain had received $112,000 in political contributions from Keating and his associates.[37] In addition, McCain's wife Cindy McCain and her father Jim Hensley had invested $359,100 in a Keating shopping center in April 1986, a year before McCain met with the regulators. McCain, his family, and their baby-sitter had made nine trips at Keating's expense, sometimes aboard Keating's jet. Three of the trips were made during vacations to Keating's opulent Bahamas retreat at Cat Cay. McCain did not pay Keating (in the amount of $13,433) for some of the trips until years after they were taken, when he learned that Keating was in trouble over Lincoln..."

When you have a long time personnal friendship with someone, you tend not to be as carefull as you would be with a stranger. If asked for support, you tend to give it. That is what happened. John deeply regrets it (calls it the "worst mistake in my {his} life") - Your defense of it does not server John well. Better you would be to say: "If that misjudgement is his worst, I am all for him."

Putting lipstick on this pig will not make it fly. (If I am allowed to mix items, not really metafores)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2008