What do you think advanced life would look like on an alien planet?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by francois, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I agree an AI may be much faster, and also could be connected to some sort of "body" with phenomenal reactions. But I thought the thread was discussing life-forms?
    Meh, okay if "artificial life" is included.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. livingin360 Registered Senior Member

well i consider a AI creation a form of life. It could have been created by a biological race to continue their legacy if they cannot live on. In that sense they are a alien race and a extension of their evolution. They can live in a habitat that would otherwise be unlivable and could be designed to let consciousness live on with the knowledge they had built up. Also they could be designed to experience things the race treasured most like love.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. livingin360 Registered Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Dude, I was talking adaptability, not Hentai!

:spank:

But at least we know what you've been watching far too much of...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

http://www.popsci.com/technology/ar...osthesis-gets-grip-keep-functioning-hand-free

Hmm.
    Wasn't aware of that.
    Just figured...if lizards could regrow tails, sort of, then maybe limbs could be regrown as well, considering a lizard tail's a farily complicated thing...

Not that a regrown tail is as good as the original...I'm not sure it has functional nerves, the tail is usually not as long...it may actually atrophy and fail to stay connected even, and it's not as flexible.

True that the organs will probably be pretty similar in function.

As far as form goes? Anything that lives in fluid that isn't a jellylike creature will probably do better being streamlined...but land could be more variant...basically, mutations will keep happening until a winning strategy is found-then that winning strategy will "explode" into a ton of somewhat-different animals that fit into different ecological niches.
    That's the way speciation seems to work.

Heck...what does it breathe? Sci-fi's given us methane-breathers. Recently scientists found a bacteria that lives on arsenic:
    http://www.aaas.org/news/releases/2...mpaign=Internal_Ads/AAAS/RSS_News/2010-12-02/