What do you pray for ?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Enmos, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

well, it would be like a xmas wish list wouldn't it? If it worked, why not. I want perfect health for me and family, win the lottery, world peace, etc. I'd pray for a lot of good things and a lot of selfish things.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ok lol

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

I get up and do things myself. I do not respect your laziness.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SetiAlpha6 Come Let Us Reason Together Valued Senior Member

Well?

According to the Bible:

Hebrews 10:26-27 (New King James Version)
    26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries.

So, if you sin willfully as a Christian there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins for you. And perhaps a person just might come to the conclusion that they actually might need to ask or pray for forgiveness since they have none at that point in time and are condemned to hell once again.

Also according to the Bible:

1 John 1:9-10 (New King James Version)
    8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

This verse must mean that if a Christian does not specifically ask or pray for the forgiveness of their sins then they are not forgiven. The implication of this scripture is plain and simple. Is this, His word, in you?

And again according to the Bible:

Mark 11:25-27 (New King James Version)
    25 “And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. 26 But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses.”

Here it is plainly stated, for all to see, that a Christian’s sins will not be forgiven by God if they do not forgive others for their sins.

I am guessing that you might be rejecting all of these scriptures simply because they directly conflict with your own personal beliefs.

Is that correct?

Here is another indicator of the same thing...

Luke 6:37-38 (New King James Version)
    37 “Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38 Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.”

I have actually heard pastors condemn other people to hell for believing in these scriptures instead of their own instruction. What model human beings these people have become? God must be very proud of them, don't you think?

Orrr... Maybe not!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  8. Kadark Banned Banned

I pray for the well-being of my family and friends. I pray that if something bad is going to happen to the people closest to me, it will happen to me instead.

9. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Happiness for the ones I love.

Oh and a new car

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Oh yeah a new car... *adds to pray-list*

11. John99 Banned Banned

Enmos,

You cannot tell people why, when and how to pray. You probably never been in a situation that warranted the appeal to a higher power. Is there a higher power? Some believe that life in and of itself is a miracle.

12. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Where did he tell people how and why to pray?

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Huh? Where did i say that stuff ?

14. John99 Banned Banned

The implication was made, be honest. All i have to ask you is one question with two parts.

A: Have you ever prayed?

B: Do you still pray?

15. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

16. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I think you are reading something that isn't there. He was ASKING Not TELLING ..

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

How did I make the implication

I'm sorry but your are being paranoid here..

A: No, i only faked it when i was a kid.
    B: No.

18. John99 Banned Banned

A: Me too.
    B: So under no circumstances would you ask for a miracle to happen to offset a tragedy unfolding in your life?

Either way it is fine, just different ways the human mind works, i guess.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

No, i wouldn't.
    Why did you think i was telling people how and when to pray ?

20. John99 Banned Banned

Are you sure?

OK, lets forget about formalities of prayer. Because in reality it is an appeal to a higher power (citation needed), no matter how it is done.

You would never do that?

21. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

You're moving the goal post, John.

It's either prayer or it isn't. While prayer is an appeal to a perceived higher authority, not all appeals to perceived higher authorities are prayers.

The topic is prayer, which is an appeal to a specific higher authority, namely a supernatural deity. You cannot equate asking one's mother for a bedtime snack (also an appeal to a higher authority) with prayer.

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

is there a difference between prayer and wishful thinking?
    Are wishes and prayers the same?

23. sandy Banned Banned

Yes. Wishes are just that. "Wants" that you just put out there.

Prayers are specifically directed to God. Or whoever...

You can pray mentally though. I do it all the time. Or I would be thrown out of a lot of places...