What do you like about Islam?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by joepistole, Mar 11, 2009.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not to be nitpicky, but I fail to see how. From what I have seen of the Genesis verse, it is quoted as "your only son" or "your first born", which either indicates a period before Isaac was born or after. In any case, it would indicate Ishmael.

I've never heard of that meaning. Its a name given as Hajar or Hajra and commonly means either forsaken or wanderer. Hijra from the same root means to wander.

The association with the Pharoah is from rabbincal commentaries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagar_(Bible)#Hagar_in_the_Hebrew_Bible

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CheskiChips Banned Banned

I'll keep the answer clean by only quoting Torah source.

Ishmael was born by Haggar because Sarai could not conceive.
    Genesis 16:12
    'And he shall be a wild-ass of a man; his hand against everyone, and everyone's hand against him and over all his brothers shall he dwell'

[This elaborated on is the source for Islamic rule before the Jewish Messiah, also discussed in numerous Prophetic writings or Talmudic writings]

Yet Abraham wasn't considered of covenant until...(later)
    Genesis 17:4
    "As for me, this is My covenant with you...your name shall no longer be called Abram, but your name will be Abraham."

[Further Relevance of the name change can be found here]

Then it was clear that the covenant was passed to Isaac as it says...
    Genesis 21:4
    'Abraham circumcised his son Isaac at the age of eight days..."

Then is later insured by...
    Genesis 21:12
    'Be not distressed over the youth of your slave woman: Whatever Sarah tells you, heed to her voice, since through Isaac will offspring be considered yours."

This is the insurance that the covenant came through Isaac.

Right, Midrash is still getting sourced from Torah. "Ger" is a term used to refer to people who lived amongst the Jews...a non-Jew in biblical Israel would be termed a "Ger". H- is a prefix. Thus her name of "The Stranger" would probably have been given.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You know, there is something not kosher here.

If he knew he was going to have Isaac with Sarah, why did he sleep with Hagar?

Did they switch names on the kids? :bugeye:

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CheskiChips Banned Banned

No way...he was at this time younger than 99. Then he was about 150 or 160 when he had Isaac. So Ishmael was already in at least his late 40's.

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

How long was a year?

9. CheskiChips Banned Banned

...360 days?

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

It just seems improbable that his wife was having children into her 90s.

Dont you think so?

11. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Which is why they had a kid by Hagar...they thought they'd never have a kid by their own account. That's why it was a Miracle.

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Highly suspicious, all these miracles if you ask me.

Probably adopted the kids.

13. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Yeah...unlike Mohammed ascending into space.

A woman having a child in her 90's ...far less likely.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats a hulm. A dream. Its called the Miraj. [mirage, not the meaning, the pronounciation]

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I like having to pray 5 times a day, that's 5 breaks, it's a better deal than smokers get.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

True, its one advantage of working in the KSA. So many breaks. Then there is murabta, then sick days, vacation days. I got 60 days off a year.

17. CheskiChips Banned Banned

Believe it all, or none of it. Since your material is sourced by it, then don't believe yours either. Then we have nothing left and the discussion is moot.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah I know, but we have no details and its easy enough to change bits around. I go by the presumption that its okay to use your brain. If it seems weird, it probably is. Miracles are out.

19. CheskiChips Banned Banned

If that's the case...then the real Jews are actually still in Egypt.

20. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Really? I thought Abraham was around 100, and at the time didn't think he could have kids, got impatient then had Ismael with Hagar with his wife's blessing.
    Then after that he found out he was going to be a dad to Isaac then just completely shunned Hagar and Ishmael.
    ^^That's not how it supposedly went?

If you ask me, Abraham was nothing but a prick. If I was Isaac and my dad was about to sacrifice me to a god, and then didn't, I'd probably have to hit him across the side of the head with a tire iron so he would never be able to pull that crap again.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

At that point in time, infant sacrifice was du jour. They had to find a way around the lack of contraception after all.

The imagery of the tire iron made me lol

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. Cellar_Door Whose Worth's unknown Registered Senior Member

You've described Holy Communion as cannibalism before. Either it's some kind of joke I really don't get or you've got the symbolism ALL wrong.
    When Jesus broke the bread, drank the wine and handed them to his disciples he said "this is my body... this is my blood." In other words, he was sacrificing/giving his mortal life to mankind in the same spirit as he was giving his food to his friends. Holy Communion is an expression of gratitude and an honouring of Jesus' request - 'This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me'.

23. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

What do I like about islam? That they are so good at killing each other, in the Name of Mohammad, and Allah, that is their Communion, only they use real Flesh and Blood.