I can place my finger on a freshly ground piece of steel and the next day a rusted impression of my fingerprint will be there. When I tried looking up this condition I found that it's not uncommon for those who play string instruments to complain about this. For me this is more than just a recreational annoyance. It's an occupational hazard as well. In shop talk we call this condition "piss finger". It's not a common trait but there are others inflicted with it. Is there a proper name for this condition? I happen to be the only employee at my shop with piss finger. . What causes it? I've seen three unsubstantiated reasons for this but I don't know if any of them are correct. . 1) It's my body chemistry and there's nothing I can do but wipe everything down after touching it. 2) It's my diet. I have to eat more alkaline foods even though my diet mainly consists of beer, vegetables, fish and dairy products. 3) There's a bacterium on my body that transforms sweat into an ammonia like substance even though anti-bacterial soap and solutions do not help, they actually seem to make things worse. . Is there a simple way to prevent this from happening, like rubbing my hands with baking soda or something? I currently wipe down everything I grind but that adds time to the jobs I am working on. I would like to bypass this extra operation if possible. Any help in better understanding this condition will be greatly appreciated.