What caused the water to apear on Earth?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Ivanovich, Dec 21, 2007.

1. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

This is a forum, kaneda. I do not need your permission to correct your ignorance of water in the universe.

'Water' can exist as a liquid, a solid, or in a gaseous state. It seldom exists in a 'pure' state. It can, and almost always does, have other elements mixed in it, or it can be present in other materials such as your own body.

You ask "Water on Venus is where?". It is mostly in the form of 'heavy water'. There is a form of hydrogen called deuterium that is heavier than 'regular' hydrogen and is not as easily lost from the planet's atmosphere. The VENUS EXPRESS probe found enough water vapor to cover the planet in an ocean with 1.2 inches of water if the vapor were condensed. Earlier theories assumed the water vapor in Venus's hot atmosphere would rise to the top of the atmosphere where it would be broken down into hydrogen and oxygen by radiation. They reasoned that the light hydrogen atoms would escape the planet's gravity, leaving almost no water on Venus. Venus Express found water vapor in Venus's atmosphere, so the theory is that it is likely to be mostly composed of the heavier deuterium type of hydrogen. Satisfied?

Either you have a reading comprehension problem, or you just state falsehoods hoping to fool some members. I have seen you do this to other posters also, so I suspect the latter. Here is a copy of my exact statement:

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

It had nothing to do with the formation of the solar system, but instead the formation of earth when the crust was cooling and water was created in the form of condensation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

They have found that when stars form a ring of vapourised water (due to the temperature) exists in a cloud around the star, some of that water become asteroids when it freezes and is able to hit a planet.

Maybe that could be a explanation.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

I believe it is possible that the solar system formed from a cloud of hot H/He gas. We know that the gas that formed our solar system was enriched by one or more supernova explosions, admixing lots of HOT monatomic H/He, plus lots of HOT monatomic metals [Fe, Ni, U, Th, etc.]. If the supernova was not at the center of the cloud of H/He that it enriched, but offset from the center [or at the edge], it would have started the cloud spinning by the off-center impact of its ejecta.

Over millions of years, the spinning cloud would have also have had a uniform mixing of the supernova monatomic ejecta [hot gaseous monatomic metals, etc.], such that all parts of the spinning cloud would have equal ratios of all the isotopes of each element. If the supernova ejecta added just 0.1% to the initial cold cloud, by weight, but at a temperature of 1,000,000 degrees C, then the average temperature of the mixed cloud would be about 1,000 degrees C, neglecting cooling effects from radiative dissipation. It's likely that the supernova ejecta constituted more than 0.1% of the total mass, but it's not possible presently to calculate that exactly.

With a hot cloud of H/He, highly enriched in Ni/Fe [high metallicity], slowly spinning, it is plausible to expect that portions of the cloud would eventually form into gravitational centers, with a larger such center in the central region [proto-sun]. Eventually, those gravitational centers would form hot spherical balls of gas, in orbit about the more massive central ball of gas. Their internal temperatures would keep these large diameter, and even the central one would not yet be fusion ignited.

The smaller balls in orbit about the central ball would slowly dissipate their internal heat [dissipative radiation], and gravitationally contract. Eventually, the internal pressure would reach the point at which the metals, etc. would reach the boiling point, and they would be squeezed out of the gaseous phase, and form drops of liquid, which would then rain to the center of the cloud, forming a ball of liquid. Finally, even the H/He would liquify, with the protoplanet thus being a ball of inner liquid metals/rocks, surrounded by mostly H/He in liquid form to a depth of a hundred thousand miles or so.

The more massive such gas balls [Jupiter, Saturn], even after a half billion years of UV irradiation from other nearby stars then forming, retain much of that outer H/He blanket. The smaller ones [moons, inner planets] lost all of those gases due to such UV irradiation [plus the irradiation from the sun, which would have been newly ignited].

Anyway, that's what the scenario would be like if one had such a cloud of initially cold H/He, subsequently enriched and heated with hot Ni/Fe from a nearby supernova.

How do you suppose, under your scenario, that the cloud got so cold?

8. Donnal Registered Member

well if u get up in the morning and see the dew or the condensation and i guess one can see how that got here ..would have to be very old to have water from condensation
    so maybe it was ahmm frozen hahaha

9. Donnal Registered Member

caused by gasses

10. Donnal Registered Member

have a look in ur freezer
    when thawed out well its liquid

11. Donnal Registered Member

ur freezer is working on diff gasses
    when one dont work no more ur freezer dont work

12. Donnal Registered Member

same as our poles when one dont work the earth dont work

13. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Water is a gas? And you have the cheek to call me ignorant.

HEAVY water in the uppermost reaches of the atmosphere is hardly "water on Venus" except in the most abstract circumstance.

We were talking worlds and you butted in and started going on about moons. Duh!

14. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

Walter LW. If you have a "burning sun" from the first moment of formation of a solar system, then a strong solar wind is going to throw the lighter gases to the outer reaches of the solar system. The cold start allowed ice cores to form to start planet formation :

http://stardate.org/resources/ssguide/planet_form.html

A nearby supernova would have started the process off by sending compression waves through a cold nebula.

15. kaneda Actual Cynic Registered Senior Member

There is still a fair bit of ice about in the asteroid belt and elsewhere. The state of our Moon, other moons, Mercury, etc show that there was a massive bombardment of the early solar system which certainly could have rained ice down on the early Earth.

16. 2inquisitive The Devil is in the details Registered Senior Member

kenada,
    Yes, water can exist in three states, as a solid (ice), liquid, or a gas (water vapor). That is taught in junior high, but you must have been asleep in class.
    What makes you think the heavy water is only in the uppermost reaches of Venus's atmosphere? What makes you think heavy water is an abstraction? What makes you think only heavy water is in Venus's atmosphere? Deuterium is an isotope of hydrogen, it has one proton in its nucleus the same as regular hydrogen, but with the addition of a neutron. Heavy water is chemically the same as regular (light) water. You jump to conclusions on a regular basis with no other knowledge than your own false speculation. It is OK to be ignorant in certain aspects of science, no one person knows it all, but you pretend to be knowledgeable in things you don't have a clue about. A forum's greatest value is in its contributions from many members. Each member may sometimes have a bit of information not known to the general forum. You asked where the water on Venus was. In the older textbooks, the theory was that almost all the water had escaped from Venus's atmosphere. New, experimental measurements made by the Venus Express indicate much more water vapor in Venus's atmosphere than earlier theory suggested. The new theory is that there is a much higher percentage of heavy water than was previously considered. The Venus Express can not distinguish between heavy water and light water, only measure water in the atmosphere. The heavy water is a perfectly logical theory, but the only known fact is a much higher concentration of water vapor in the atmosphere than theorized.

17. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Oops. Be very careful big K. When we here talk about water, we mean H2O, which, as 2inq points out, can come in three forms. You need to be specific if you're just talking about liquid oceans of water. Clearly, the earth is the only known "world" to have exposed liquid water in ocean-sized quantities. But Ice on the other hand in known on many "worlds" and sub-ice liquid water and even "oceans" are now known on several.

Well, since "world" is commonly used do describe anything from jovian sized planets to little asteroids, and several moons in our solar system are bigger than the planet mercury (ganymede for example and titan - almost the size of mars!), I'd say these were worlds.

If you mean officially recgonized planets, then say planets.

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Are there other planets with an atmosphere and condensed vapor that forms water like on earth?

19. John99 Banned Banned

:scratchin: u, i'm gonna say probably.:shrug:

20. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Not water, no. We know of no other "worlds" that rain liquid water that gathers in open pools. However...

Titan is eerily earth-like in appearance, with rivers and huge lakes of what is almost certainly liquid methane, which almost certainly come from a "rain" of condensed methane vapor in it's atmosphere.

Very cool.

21. John99 Banned Banned

22. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Well, not in our solar system at least. But I'd agree with "probably" as far as the apparently vast number of other "solar" systems out there. We've discovered hundres of extrasolar planets just in the past few years without even looking beyond our local little galactic neighborhood.

Also, vey cool.

23. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member