What Can Be Done to Bring Traffic Back to SciFo?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by DaveC426913, Aug 23, 2023.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Gee I wonder how many people here we could get to pool their lunch money to buy it and maintain it. Takers?

I wonder if the hand-over would include the software and membership - i.e a turnkey operation - or if it's just the domain name.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. geordief Valued Senior Member

Well ,if someone other than the owner is making a bid you would think there would have to be some sort of archive there.

I don't know who would have the skills to maintain/upgrade it (Kalster was the admin but didn't visit for a good 5 years but I know he has /had some sort of a computer shop in SA.
    I let Skinwalker who owned thescienceforum.org now it was for sale but I think he may have lost interest in his own site as it seems to have been taken over by Tapatalk and there is talk of letting it go also soon)

I would be interested in contributing to the purchase if it was feasible . I seem to remember it cost Sahil Gupta a few thousand back then.

Maybe Dywydrr who is on this forum would also be interested as he put a lot of work into it.

babe is another I can think of.

wegs likes this.
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I would love if Kalster, babe and the Duck were to become regulars, here!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Will be interesting to see if anyone new takes over the site and breathes new life into it. It had a great vibe once upon a time.

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I do. Or at least I used to.
    (I'm not sure I want to, but still...)

9. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

What would happen to sci-forums then? It might steer traffic away from here.

10. Pinball1970 Valued Senior Member

No way of DM ING them? Via YouTube or Facebook?

11. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I don’t have any personal info on them. Maybe they’ll meander over here soon enough, which would be fun.

Pinball1970 likes this.
  12. geordief Valued Senior Member

I have messaged Kalster on another forum he frequented briefly.(I also once texted him at his work number when the site reemerged and we needed to very quickly ban the other admin ,Harold who some may still remember) but am reluctant to pester him again if he doesn't respond to the message I sent.

Babe I expect will show up in time..Dywyddr is on this forum and can be contacted that way I expect.

Pinball1970 likes this.
  13. geordief Valued Senior Member

I see that thescienceforum.com is up to 520 US dollars now on the Godaddy website, with 7 bidders (if they are all genuine)

The bidding process has just under 4 days left and then it may take another 15 days or so for everything to be sorted.

Bidder number 2 has been there since the start and
    the others join in and drop out .

The estimated value seems to be around 2000 USD ( the currency is listed as Israeli shekels so I am estimating)

I think 7 bidders (so far) is better than none.Maybge the site will get an owner who will give it proper attention this time around.

14. geordief Valued Senior Member

I tried that url again and now it returns (ie redirects to) a choice of bondage/weird metallic sex sites or travel sites.(on my tablet but not on the phone)

Since the travel sites are Indian and being aware of the character of the last owner,I suspect that he may have rebought his own website .

Can't see the logic in that. Why would anyone pay 2000 dollars for a name they are not going to use in order to redirect clicks to those kind of sites?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  15. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Due to the already established search engine presence and ranking of the domain, it sounds like redirecting is what a new owner would often use it for. If they were a complete stranger to the old forum, and there wasn't much profit in what the domain originally was.

Maybe the link will eventually reroute to one, particular site that the owner is building. Or they'll stick with the current situation of receiving pocket change from all these Millionaire-Tek, SexChat, and Visit-Greenland places.
    _