We're out of Movie Trilogies

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I mentioned this in another thread, but I'd like to bring to light the fact that in three years the last of every scifi or fantasy trilogy will have been completed. He has mentioned "moving to non star wars projects" before, but George Lucas really seems to have lost the magic that he had originally. I've noticed throughout both Episodes 1 and 2 that many identical lines are repeated from the original trilogy, that many characters act the same, that many shots are the same, only that the story is set a few years earlier. He's run out of ideas, we're watching the same movie with a different special effects mask.

The Lord of the Rings is a serious contender for best trilogy of all time in my mind at least, but next year the last movie comes out and that's it. Supposedly the last Star Trek movie comes out in a few weeks. All I can think of is the first movie based on Enders Game, which will probably be good, but it's a very long way off, maybe ten years at the most (I'm guessing). This leaves us with a very, very long time that will likely be peppered with mediocre scifi movies based on much better ones. Are we entering a dark age?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Asimov's Foundation series has not been done, and there are others.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

What about Dune?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Dune was done as a movie as well as a "made for television" event.

8. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Aren't they planning on doing two-four more??

And that TV one was great, better than the film

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Paul J. McAuley's Confluence Trilogy
    Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy
    Sylvia Engdahl's Children of the Star Trilogy
    C. S. Lewis' Space Trilogy
    Harry Harrison's - Eden Trilogy

...and the list goes on

Peace.

10. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

There is a whole bunch of stuff that could be done by Gordon R. Dickson, such as the Dorsai series and the Final Encylodedia.

11. grazzhoppa yawwn Valued Senior Member

Terminator 3 is coming out.

Aren't there going to be 2 more Matrix movies to come out?

I think I heard somewhere another Indiana Jones is coming too.

Some other trilogies....

Rush Hour 3 will probably come out too

And if the studios were smart, a trilogy of Titanic, the aftermath...maybe a prequel too.

12. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Foundation would definitely be awesome, but are they actually making at least the first book into a film (there are like, seventeen, I've read the first and a little of the second). Foundation was a good book, but its lack of action really made the story boring for awhile, and while I really enjoyed the concept, I couldn't read the second right after finishing the third. I intend to read the whole series, but that's going to be a long project.

The Matrix movies both come out next year, I think. If they make another Indiana Jones, it'll probably suck (like star wars has, the same guy is producing). It'll be another special effects romp around the jungle or something.

Terminator 3 will be fun, but it won't be good. That's what I'm looking and hoping for, a trilogy that spawns cults and sayings and theme songs synonymous with good or evil (I heard a girl who has absolutely no interest in scifi once mutter the star wars imperial march to describe a bad person). One that has insightful ideas. A well written script. Interesting and provacative camera shots. And of course, stunning special effects (note: this is not a requirement, nor is it the first thing on the list).

Don't mention the Dune Miniseries to Goofy. Oedipus and I loved it, and we're Dune freaks. Goofy apparently hated the thing....:bugeye:

13. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Yes they are making two more Matrix's, I can't wait. Dune is awesome... but a trilogy? Im not sure if Im into that.

Why dont they make a trilogy out of The Dark Elf Trilogy by Salvador. Awesome books.

LOTR will be the greatest trilogy of all time... NOT, its the matrix.

14. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

I like that more movies are being made from comics...although Daredevil look like pure hell, and X-men 2 will probably be pretty uninspired, I'm curious to see Ang Lee's treatment of the Hulk. And just the fact that movies/T.V. series based on comics are so well recieved these days is reassuring. Once we bleed the sci-fi genre dry, maybe comics will be there to provide us with more epic trilogies. I can even think of a few I'd like to see...

15. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

The Freespace Trilogy. They should seriously make it.

16. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Oh, and while far more than a trilogy, Anne McAffrey's
    Dragon Riders of Pern series would be quite nice on
    the big screen, I believe.

17. UberDragon The Freak at the Computer Registered Senior Member

Although I have bled this saying to death, and it would come from George Lucas, the Shadow Series (Shadow Moon, Shadow Dawn, and Shadow Star) would make excellent movies. The only problem would be that not many people might know what it's about and you would have to fill them in with the whole backstory of Willow.

And on the subject of the Matrix, while they did create the whole Bullet-Time effect, I hopew there isn't too much of it in the new movies because, even if they are making fun of it, it is way over used.

18. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

How about Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat?

19. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

Ender's game series would be great (stated before in the movies/books thread), DRAGONLANCE would be great too (you could get two trilogies from that). Hm what else...the Sovereign Stone Trilogy, #3's still pending, its pretty good..by Weis/Hickman, like Dragonlance. The Hitchiker's guide would be alright.

20. DCLXVI Bloody Bastard Registered Senior Member

Chronicles of Riddick - The next part of the "Pitch Black" supposed triology. Could be good, could be bad. Pitch Black was okay in my opinion.

There will be another Alien movie, not a triology any more but still...

As someone mentioned above, the matrix and T3 are nearing completion.

Has there ever been a load of sci fi triologies in prodoction at the same time? I figure that when all the stuff that's currently in production is out in the theaters something new will crop up, the market sure as hell is big enough.

21. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

Didn't someone say that they actually were making an Ender movie? I had also read that there were Chronicles of Narnia movies in the works.

22. UberDragon The Freak at the Computer Registered Senior Member

Didn't they already make Th Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe into a cheesy British film?? Not that British films are cheesy, but this one was.

23. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

"Didn't they already make Th Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe into a cheesy British film?? Not that British films are cheesy, but this one was."

lol, I saw that in grade 6, it was pretty cheesy =P