Water: more oxygen, better taste?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Lilalena, May 23, 2011.

  1. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

    Messages:
    10,296
    I'll be just quick as I like to point out pure nonsense, thank you very little. He was actually calling pure water a TOXIN - a poison, for Pete's sake!! It's no such thing.

    And I'm well aware of the problems over-hydration can cause. In fact, there have been a few cases of it that hit the news in recent years - including the woman who was participating in a radio station promotion contest in California that made national news headlines.

    My other main point (besides the "toxin" stupidity) is that NO ONE depends upon their drinking water as their source of minerals and electrolytes - that's just MORE sheer stupidity. You can boil or distill all of your water if you like - you'll still get those essential elements and chemicals from the food you eat.

    Period.
     
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement



    to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

    Messages:
    10,296
    Oh, come on now!!! You don't have to be a scientist to know that water - pure or otherwise WILL boil if you get it up to 100 deg C. That's just as much nonsense as your toxin claim. Sheesh!!:bugeye:
     
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement



    to hide all adverts.
  5. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,194
    Where are you getting this from??? Go back and read the previous posts because no one ever made this claim.

    For two, pretty much anything can be defined as a toxin if you have enough of it, so technically he is correct.
     
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement



    to hide all adverts.
  7. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

    Messages:
    30,519
    What are you boiling it in? It's possible, though it seems unlikely, that stuff is leaching out of the container into the water as you boil it.
     
  8. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,194
    But apparently you do have to be a scientist to understand that you can actually exceed the boiling temp of water by both having pure water and perfectly smooth vessel to boil it within (probably why he thought it wouldn't boil).

    You can't exceed it by much and if it gets hit by any small shock (bump the table) or if it gets a nucleation site such as a spec of dust it will boil. However, as I said before this state is really cool because you can add that nucleation site yourself (drop a rock in it) and the water will all boil away in one go.

    This is not so cool when it happens in the microwave to people who aren't expecting it. As soon as they drop their coco mix in the water boom!! They get a nasty steam burn.
     
  9. kurros Registered Senior Member

    Messages:
    793
    It's hardly a poison, but it is not that great to drink, it does suck electrolytes and minerals out of you somewhat:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deionised_water#Health_effects_of_drinking_purified_water

    I imagine you could poison yourself with it faster than with regular water too for the same reasons:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
     
  10. phlogistician Banned Banned

    Messages:
    10,342
    Must remove some, which is why of course you get limescale deposits in electric kettles. I guess it doesn't remove an appreciable amount, and the deposit inside a kettle is a long drawn out cumulative effect however.
     
  11. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

    Messages:
    23,049
    Ok lets clear something up, your BOTH wrong. Its not toxic persay but it is very bad for you to drink in any significant amounts. Why? Because it makes your cells burst. If you inject it in then quite a small amount will cause alot of problems, drinking it less so because it will be concentarated by the digestive fluids. HOWEVER forget over hydration and loot at a child with server gastro, if they are only given water to drink they CAN develop cardiac arythmias because of the loss of electroylites and YES read a lot of them DO come from water.

    Why exactly did you think there was a warning lable on deionized water. If you drink it over an extended period you will have problems, cell burst and cardiac problems.
     
  12. phlogistician Banned Banned

    Messages:
    10,342
    Balls. We are supposed to drink fresh water. The osmotic pressure across a cell barrier will not be breached by us drinking distilled water. Where the FUCK do you think Eskimos get their water from FFS. Ice, from compacted snow, which is frozen water vapour. We get minerals in our water as it filters through terrain. They got no terrain.

    Total Dry Residue at 180°C: 130 mg/L.

    That's 'mineral water'. Given the recommended maximum salt intake for adults is 6g a day, an adult, drinking their recommended 2l of water a day isn't getting anywhere near the electrolytic content from water, as they are from food.

    Balls. It's because de-ionised water is simply not prepared for human consumption, but for topping up batteries most often.
     
  13. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

    Messages:
    12,738
    You can't make water into hydrogen peroxide.
    I didn't know that.
    Why is that then?
     
  14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

    Messages:
    23,049

    Yes and a themonitor in some guys house in Alaska is enough to disprove climate change: rolleyes:

    Try reading some legitimate resurch

    http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/nutdemineralized.pdf
     
  15. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

    Messages:
    2,184
    I once read a very interesting book called: The Hindu‑Yogi System of
    Practical Water Cure (1909) by Yogi Ramacharaka 1(862–1932).

    There is this statement I found interesting and practice it myself to drink my water and hot green tea:
    The more time you “Prana‑ize” the water, the better it tastes, and the better the results for health. Just try it, you'll see.

    Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

     
  16. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

    Messages:
    3,788
    This is just an observation, in response to 'bad tasting' water.

    When traveling through Ft. Nelson years ago and staying with a friend, their local water supply (from a well) was disgusting and even after boiling it smelled and tasted vile. They used bottled water for all of their drinking and cooking, and I took a bath while there, and the smell of 'rotten eggs' or sulphur, lingered on my hair and person until I was long dry.

    Horrible experience and has made me hugely appreciative that my own well water is absolutely free of taste or odor. Visitors always remark on how 'good' our water tastes, so not just my subjective opinion, lol...

    As per the advice of other posters, I would ask what type of vessel you are boiling the water in, and aeration by pouring several times from one container to another would lead to some improvement but any 'taste' in the water may come from it's original sourcing, perhaps.....
     
  17. spidergoat Valued Senior Member

    Messages:
    51,799
    Exactly.

    No sir, it was just slippery. It's the dissolved minerals in water than make it not slippery.
     
  18. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,194
    Once again I work with it all the time at my lab (it's a nano lab so the chemicals we work with must be extremely pure) and I've never noticed it as feeling any more slippery than normal. While cleaning the glassware that we use you first rinse it with regular water and then in the clean water to rinse off the regular water so I have literally touched them one right after another, over and over again. I think it may be in your head.

    Also, to you tend to wear gloves when you handle it?
     
  19. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

    Messages:
    1,194
    WTH does what he said have anything to do with global warming????

    Pure water WOULD be more likely to rinse away the dissolved minerals in your blood but the difference is not going to be all that large. Its going to be more like you drink a gallon and quarter of pure water and a gallon and half of regular water, both in 45 minutes before you really feel any ill effects.

    Maybe if you don't ever eat a salad or take your Flintstones vitamins drinking it on a regular basis may be a problem but otherwise no.
     
  20. phlogistician Banned Banned

    Messages:
    10,342
    OOh, do you know what the word 'may' means? 'Cos I see it a lot in that report.
     
  21. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

    Messages:
    6,493
    Chlorine is not considered a mineral. At room temperature I believe it's quite volatile, which means if you boil the water it should decrease the chlorine content in it.
     
  22. spidergoat Valued Senior Member

    Messages:
    51,799
    I wasn't wearing gloves, it was a very strange sensation, much different than normal water or the tap water it was derived from.
     
  23. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

    Messages:
    6,493
    That sounds a lot like hydrogen peroxide H2O2, which does give water a bad taste.
     

Share This Page