Was the Pope's criticism of Islam unfair?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Lawdog, Sep 15, 2006.

1. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

You obviously, don't know much about the history or truth of Christianity or Islam. The human element, what I mean by that is, no matter what the words say, humans who feel hatred will make a case for their emotion. Most muslims know Bin Laden is wrong and was nothing like Mohammed.

Mohammed was living during a time period where you had to be aggressive like that just to survive. Jesus believed in the same ideas, but Jesus was so passive that he got slaughtered, we have to remember that Mohammed came hundreds of years after Jesus and likely remembered what happened to Jesus and decided that in order to keep Islam pure, holywar was required to defend it, as self defense, a form of religious self defense.

Mohammed living during a time where it was kill or be killed, conquer or be conquered, enslave or be enslaved, so to talk about Mohammed in such a way, as if Christians did not do the same thing, whats the point? It's coming from the Pope, not some athiest. If an athiest wants to condemn organized religion as being violent and aggressive, fine, point taken, but for the Pope to say it, it's a completely different meaning. Do we really want religious leaders to start fighting?

The truth is, religion and self defense are linked, you can see this just by reading the art of war. Really, comments like what the Pope made, it does not help to moderate the debate, it will only serve to piss off Muslims who will take it very seriously. Why exactly do we want to provoke extremism?

Now, if you want the Pope to use this language, be aware that Jesus can just as easily be attacked. Mohammed was aggressive, yes, and Jesus was so passive that he refused to defend himself at all, and we all know that the average person is somewhere in the middle, passive until provoked. Why do we want to provoke the mainstream muslims and mainstream christians?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I mean there are two ways to handle this:

1. they are criminals

2. they are fanatics because of their religion

Which view is likely to garner the support of the moderate majority?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

I understand that, I understand not everyone wants American culture, but hey some of Europe does not want American culture.

If you think this is about culture, it vastly complicates everything down to the atomic degree, because how exactly do we claim muslims have a unified culture, or that the west has a unified culture?

Globalization and ecomomics I understand.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TimeTraveler Immortalist Registered Senior Member

Shut up masochist. If someone has a prolem with our government they should write a letter to our President, not to me. I did not make these decisions, and I'm sick of Europeans and Muslims blaming all Americans. I'm also sick of American's blaming America, only about 20% of the country are neo-conservatives.

8. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I don't think it's an excuse for violence and murder and I doubt that 'thinking muslims' would think so either, but the reactionaries live for stuff like this, they will seize upon it and innocent people will die in the crossfire as the terrorists will indeed use it as an excuse.

The reaction has already been fierce, though not too violent; why do you think the Pope listened to advice and has apologised personally so swiftly? Because he made a ballsup and the Vatican knows it.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm still not totally sure what you're asking.
    Americans aren't inherently criminal and neither are Muslims, but we all deserve some blame for having our country run by criminals and warmongers.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I mean targeting all Muslims for the actions of terrorists is equivalent to targeting all Americans for foreign policies and the net result is still the same.

I cannot do anything about an Al-Qaeda terrorist anymore than you can do anything about the war in Iraq (well maybe if you vote).

Targeting the behavior is more effective than targeting the group.

So if there is criminal behavior that is what should be targeted.

I'm not making it very clear maybe.

11. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

War on Criminals?

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Why not?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I guess it beats War on "Turrr".

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

But I'm not advocating targeting of Muslims for criminal prosecution, only criticism of their religion. I don't know of any other religion that includes the concept of holy war.

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

All religions include the concept of holy war.

http://www.ppu.org.uk/learn/infodocs/st_religions.html

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Not Buddhism.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

18. Vega Banned Banned

Holy wars are for Holy idiots!!!

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Good try, but in the first case, martial arts has nothing to do with being aggressive, and in the second, it was simply zennists following along with their nation rather than zen as the driving force.

Still, all organized religion makes people crazy and they all deserve to be criticized and ridiculed.

20. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Do you believe that atheists will not fight if they feel threatened?

All you need is enough of them in one place to form an organised group.

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm not talking about defending yourself, but killing for an ideology. No Muslim was put in danger by American military bases in Saudi Arabia, for instance. In Islamic law, it is illegal to convert someone to another religion besides Islam, punishable by death.

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

They are a different culture with different values. If the people there don't like it, they can move out. The Sharia law in Islam is as open to interpretation as the Quran,

If they don't agree, no one can force them to change. Education and reform cannot happen overnight. Remember when communism was a crime in the US?