Was Tesla a Con Man?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Ickyrus, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Ickyrus Registered Senior Member

It has been recently claimed that Tesla was a con man.

I would like opinions and if possible proof of this claim

Will the poster of this claim follow their own rule and back their claim up?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

http://davidszondy.com/future/tesla/teslaray.htm
    (Among other sources).

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

that site is clearly biased, doesn't it say later on that it had real engineering value? maybe he really thought it would work, the site doesn't even explain what went wrong!

on a side note, i played EA's command and conquer red alert 1 & 2 and they had tesla towers, they worked as that site described, your men would be marching towards the enemy base when they get zapped into charred skeletons.. later on when i studied physics i thought it was very feasible, all what you have to do is make the humans trespassing a medium of lower resistance than their surroundings, in a way that the the tesla tower would be charged with a HUGE voltage difference and suspended in mid air (its tower would be insulative) and the ground should be of such a resistance that doesn't quite allow the charged electrons in the top of the tower to rach the ground. however, when a guy comes trotting around, he would act like an antenna which attracts lightning, and ZAP! BBQ!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

No.

Anyone that takes money for a device that doesn't work, and has not been shown to work is a con man. He'd previously offered it to a number of other countries and had failed to provide a working model.

The device itself couldn't work, but his reputation (and, presumably, his ego) blinded people (and him) to the fact.

8. MacGyver1968 Fixin' Shit that Ain't Broke Valued Senior Member

Didn't he go crazy later in life, and marry a pigeon?

9. billvon Valued Senior Member

I've studied his life and work a bit, and I think it was more accurate to say that he was somewhat insane than a con man. He really believed all his claims, but could not always deliver on them - especially later in life.

10. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

How bout Doctors and Attorneys ? Con Men . If they don't fix it they still get payed . Employees are fucking con Men . I just realized that ! If they fuck it all up they get to go home with the money anyway ! Wow . God I had no Idea Dyw. I wonder who has the bigger Ego ? Me or Him ? Think he ever saw him self as the creator ? King God of Everything ! Hey Dream big ! That is what I always say ! Don't knock it tell you drink the potion number 9. It tastes good like girls . Drink ! Big drinks of Me Potion number 9 . Wooo so good . Lick Lick to the last drop.
    I am a con man now . Yeah Ha Ha Ha Ha . Fuck it is fun . Responsibility is for the birds. You can have it . Spontaneity is way more fun . God I don't think I can go back to the grind . You know the saying " How you going to keep em down on the farm "

Edit : Snow bowl whether report for all you champion skiers out there . Snow is sticking early this year and the snow pack is off to a roaring start . Yeah may even open early if it keeps up . Hunters : Should drive the Elk out of the high country early too . Just in time for the elk hunts Looking like more flooding for the Mid west in Spring is likely . My advice Repair and replace while you can

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  11. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Keep a close eye on Spidey . That sounds like something he would Do . Interventions do happen if you care about some one .

12. Ickyrus Registered Senior Member

One website without references to reliable sources does not proof make.

So what are the other sources. I have yet to hear or see any reference in his history relating to what this website is saying.

After JP Morgan withdrew funding and he had a breakdown and was blackballed from working for anybody else it seem hardly surprising that he would try and sell something he believed in. The programs say he died penniless or at least no money worth mention. Did the U.S government then confiscate and put all of his work under Top Secret classification or is that another conspiracy theory?

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Oh very good. You ask for a source and then say it's not good enough...
    http://www.pbs.org/tesla/ll/ll_wendwar.html

Because you're lazy? Because YOU haven't bothered to look?

They did. For a while. And then declassified and released them.

14. Ickyrus Registered Senior Member

I find this contrary to a news clip of Tesla being interviewed about this very same subject. The implication is that he invented and used a radio telescope. Which brings into doubt the accuracy of the sites reporting.

15. Ickyrus Registered Senior Member

I thought you were the one who said that it was up to the person who claims something to prove it!

and I am looking very carefully for definite proof because there seem to be more high profile documentaries that don't mention this than do.

16. wlminex Banned Banned

. . .if he were here (in the present) . . . I'd want him as a Sciforum moderator (MOD: read sarcasm here)

17. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Hmmmm...Nicola Tesla, the fellow who said to Thomas Edison "not direct current, Tom. What you need is 120 Volts of alternating current. That will do the trick."

The fellow who invented the fluorescent light? Radar? Radio? The alternator? Whose name is cast into the casing in those massive 100,000 Volt Niagara Falls hydroelectric generators he built around the turn of the 19th century and are still running 24/7/365 now? Whose 3 Warrencliff lab assistants went on to found ABC, NBC and CBS? Who demonstrated remote - controlled missiles fired from a remote controlled boat in the 1890's to the Pentagon Chiefs of Staff, who told him that - while it was a pretty neat trick, such devices will "never replace a charge with mounted cavalry"? Who demonstrated wireless electricity over 30 miles to light a bank of bulbs...something we have yet to repeat?

Yeah, some of his ideas were right off the wall. Others are now an integral part of day-to-day life in the Western world. I guess you could say he was pretty crazy....that is real easy to say about a dead man, even one of such incredible stature as an inventor.

I guess that would say a lot about you as well, now wouldn't it?

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Um, if you check I think you'll find I said "support", not "prove".

So because it's not mentioned in some sources means it didn't happen? Do any of them mention him going to the toilet?

Being smart and having made real inventions is proof against going "crazy" in later life? :shrug:

19. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

I already know all about this, and the truth is he invented things so no he's not a con man just a show man. I admire the man but the mystery is even more fun to consider =o I seem to remember he died alone in his hotel room

Tesla why did you give your patent rights up to Westinghouse! (or someone I forget who)

20. Me-Ki-Gal Banned Banned

Because he was a world giver bro . Life in the fast lane . A doer of life . The world is cruel . They kicked him to the curb like always . The mob a lot of times kicks our prophets to the curb . While we benefit. It is popular now a days . Like all those yohans that try to Make George Washington and Thomas Jefferson to be child molesting war mongering old flashers up setting grandma when her testosterone levels are at there peak . Grandma becomes frustrated and has to do something about it

21. Ickyrus Registered Senior Member

I think some might call that a specious argument! Similar to just because he didn't deliver doesn't mean he couldn't do it.

With all the things he did do struggling with mental issues is expected especially when the media use you for risible stories.

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Really?
    Do all books on Tesla have all of the same details? If the answer is "no" then it's hardly specious.

Which supports my claim that he was a con man even better! He could do something, he got the money, and he didn't deliver. Thank you.

23. Emil Valued Senior Member

Well said.