Was moon landing a fake?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Arne Saknussemm, Jul 17, 2014.

1. andy1033 Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

The human race is probably a thousand years more advanced than they are telling you.

So you do not know what techs they used in that module. I still think humans went to the moon long before, as humans on a whole are always more advanced than they tell you lot.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

At one end of the scale we have the nutty conspiracy pushers claiming the Moon landings were fake, at the other end of the scale, we have claims they happened 20 years earlier then they did.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Stick around, I'll bet someone will tell you how Hindu gods landed on the Moon 300,000 years ago, but forgot to tell anyone because of monkey wars... ... ... or something!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Why isn't this in "Conspiracy Theories"?

8. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Things aren't always what they seem. Read post #1

9. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yes the scully thing about Newton is irritating. If someone wants to discuss interpretation of the bible I don't mind (on an appropriately titled section of the forum), but there seems to be an attempt to pass off wacky stuff from the apocalypse as science. Anyone who really thinks, nowadays, that making a connection between the "Antichrist" and the Catholic Church is serious theology, let alone science, is either an antediluvian Protestant extremist in the Ian Paisley mould, or just barking.

But I am dragging the thread further and further off topic. If we want to discuss whether the forum is under attack from closet creationists trying to insert their daft ideas into science we should probably start a thread on it under Religion or something. (For what it's worth, my reading of you, Arne, is that you are a Christian believer but you are not from the Protestant Fundamentalist bible belt of the USA and, consequently - like most Christians in fact - you are not a creationist.)

10. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

I'm a monkey's uncle. From apes we came and to apes we shall return.

[video=youtube;Cdmqn9JIuzc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdmqn9JIuzc[/video]

11. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Well, I've responded to this above, and it's off topic, but this is my thread and today's my birthday

, so I can do just as I please.

I thank you, exchemist for having paid the minimal amount of attention to the world around you, and my posts here, and understanding my position. Because of people like our mutual friend AI and several others I have to spend a lot of my time on the defensive. Yes, I am a Christian, and a Roman Catholic one at that. I also lean toward the non-denominational and I have a working knowledge of Buddhism. I get Islam, Judaism, those silly billy Protestants and many other religions, but I choose not to subscribe to their views.

That's the key word here: choice.

I don't know, or particularly care what country the rest of you come from (that would be your problem) but in mine we are guaranteed religious freedom. So, I'll believe as I want, thank you very much. I have never submitted in a post yet that is a deliberate attempt to win converts to my views, although some like my very first was an invitation to consider that if we were alone in the universe, would this not be a good argument for the supremacy of mankind and near proof that God exists. I did not insist on this, and have learned that it is extremely unlikely that we are in fact alone. I posed my thesis as a question even. Fine. I keep an open mind and I am always ready to learn, and I can even admit to being wrong. (Apparently this is even more unorthodox and radical at SciForums than professing Jesus Christ as one's personal savior!)

So somewhere along the way (I now have over 1100 posts about all sorts of topics) the lunatic atheist fringe decided to fall upon me because I admit to having beliefs different from theirs. Now I find it necessary to constantly be pointing out that these people are biased, bigoted, unscientific, un-objective and mostly just rude, unfriendly and disrespectful - it would be fine if they just disrespected me but they disrespect a good one-quarter of the world population, who believe as I do plus all the other theists of various kinds - all of whom have a right to their own opinions even if these atheistic trolls vehemently disagree.

Hence I dislike AI always referring to 'The Fundies' and him and a few others referring to Christian beliefs as myths and even nonsense. They sometimes claim to present proof, but there is always someone else to say otherwise. The most that can be said is that there is no inarguable proof either way on the God question, so why be abusive and fascist about it?

So thanks for reminding the non-lunatic overly aggressive trolling types that not all Christians are Fundies, and that we mainstream theists hold many scientific views on the world. It's just ironic that the detractors of religion on this forum are so lacking in the objective and rational views they pretend to champion.

Personally, I don't think any one is going to Hell because they don't believe as I do, and it gets rather tedious to constantly be told that I do believe this. :yawn: Especially, especially! When they break into threads where no one has even mentioned religion and start abusing religious faith!

Here's what I want for my birthday from the militant atheists: don't tell me what I think, and I won't tell you what you think. I will tell you what I think, and you can tell me what you think. No one needs to be uncivil, accusing or abusive. It's called a discussion forum. Maybe you'd like to become a decent and respectable member of one.

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

In summing, religious thoughts should be maintained in its proper forum.
    For religious people, Creationists or whatever denomination, to come into a science forum to try to discredit and deride science [as per chinglu, sscully and a few closet supporters do] they should expect to feel the full wrath of the scientific community and the evidence that supports science.
    That is partly what has pissed AId off, along with the Alternative trolls that claim to have ToE's and rewrite all of cosmology.
    I don't go to religious forums, decrying Catholics, Muslims or whatever.
    I don't expect them to come to science forums.
    I have nothing against anyone or their personal beliefs.
    And like you, I too was born and raised a Catholic, although I'm expecting excommunication at any time.

13. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Well said. Thanks!

(Though I'm not sure the Episcopalians would throw me out, I'd welcome it..)

14. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

However, you are ignoring the flip-side - trolling atheists who break in or start anti-religion threads because of their own personal grudges. This place does have a religion sub-forum, but I don't think it was ever meant to be a platform for anti-religionists to stump around upon with threads like 'stupid things christians say'.

On and off the religion sub-forum what we need to do is express our opinions, and present our theories and hypotheses in a civil manner - say no to flaming!

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No, I'm not Ignoring the flip side.
    I have already said somewhere that some do go to the religious forum to purposely flame and ridicule, but I'm normally not one and from what I have seen, nether is AId.

16. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Sorry, but you are ignoring it - in that you are using my post calling attention to the opposite problem to remind us of what you don't like. However, I think we can agree: you dislike crypto-religious trolls and flamers and I dislike supposedly scientific ones who are anything but. Anyway you slice it, we agree that people should not troll, flame and that they should keep it civil.

You are not like that, and neither am I. AI is definitely like that. See post #19 of this very thread. And #20 where I rather impatiently request that he stop. He seems to have, but is now off abusing sscully. Hate to repeat myself, but why cannot he disagree with sscully without being rude, arrogant and condescending about it?

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No I'm not Ignoring it. I have mentioned it more then once, drawing attention to both sides.
    Perhaps though you are able to show me where I or AId have ventured uneccessarily into the religious thread.
    Sure, I have been there from memory, but not often.

As I have said, people can become frustrated when science is attacked in science threads, by religious/Creationists, at one end, and Alternative, anti science brigade with their ToE's and delusions of grandeur at the other. Then we have the "closet supporters"
    Sorry, scientists are afterall just human.

18. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

Not you, him -post #19 this thread, and please see #20 for my reply.

19. leopold Valued Senior Member

you are getting close. :thumbsup:
    and i really don't care if these people hate me.

20. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

As I have said, people can become frustrated when science is attacked in science threads, by religious/Creationists, zealots, at one end, and Alternative, anti science brigade with their ToE's and delusions of grandeur at the other, then we have the "closet supporters" claiming consideration "must be given" to "the God hypothesis" as scientific reasoning, when the plain case of the matter, is that it is not scientific reasoning one little bit....Reasoning yes, based on ancient myths and obscure books written by obscure men, in an age of obscurity..

Then you collectively whinge and whine when mainstream adherents lose their cool!
    Sorry, scientists are afterall just human.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  21. brucep Valued Senior Member

Quit calling folks militant atheists. You're a militant fundamentalist christian. You think religion and science have the same domain of applicability. So you want to mix them up in the most annoying way. You're bitter because science understands what it's domain of applicability is while fundamentalist christians don't. You're right this is your thread. A thread where you want to discuss 'moon lading hoax' nonsense after 'letting us militant atheists' know you do believe the Apollo mission actually did land on the moon. LOL.

22. Arne Saknussemm trying to figure it all out Valued Senior Member

I will thank you to never presume to tell me what I think. You are welcome to say what you think, but thus far all you've done is been rude and insulting without offering us anything of substance. I have been to your profile and nearly all of you posts basically say that the someone is speaking nonsense and that they are an idiot, and then that's about it.

23. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

If you'll pardon the expression:

Good Lord! Don't you realize what you just said? Science doesn't require belief, it requires experimental verification. You will forego rational thought for vague faith?

Go for it, just don't expect your 'arguments' to be well received. Go to church instead, why don't you?