Warhammer 40k Vs StarTrek

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Fettman, Jun 4, 2007.

?

Who would win?

1. Warhammer40k

26 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. StarTrek

18 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. siphra Registered Senior Member

So It's agreed then, WH40K wins.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Makes me wonder what would happen if you hit a marine in Power Armor with a Heavy Phaser type A... that EMP effect is a BITCH, especially when it knocks out subsystems

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. siphra Registered Senior Member

It takes the psychic power of a God to overwhelm the systems in Marine Power Armor, "The First Heretic" first chapter... They are hardened to such an extent because someone thought of EMP problems. And even his power, didn't completely override ALL the power armor of every warrior. So the answer is, nothing much, a few seconds in the Adamantium/Ceramite plates would buckle, but in that few seconds, our friendly marine has unleashed hell on the shooter in the form of (if your lucky) regular Bolter rounds.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Gauss's law, faraday cage tends to help.

8. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

the suits themselves would act as faraday cages.

9. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

He made them kneel by controlling them mentally, not physically.

10. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

I love the first heritic BTW, fedr88 if you haven't read it yet you need to.

11. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Uhm, you guys DO realize a Heavy Phaser type A is a STARSHIP weapon... not a handheld one... right?

(For the record, yes, I have had people tell me a Space Marine in Power Armor could withstand a shipboard phaser blast... wtf)

12. siphra Registered Senior Member

I am referring to after that, when he knocked them back, the description i took to mean that even the armor had failed to physically hold up under the pressure of the Emperor.

13. Believe Happy medium Valued Senior Member

It didn't really fail to hold them up. They would have told the armor to kneel because they were essentially being mind controlled by the big E.

14. siphra Registered Senior Member

No after he tells them to kneel, there comes a point when Lorgar is just pissing off E ... iirc its just before the emperor teleports out, and just before
    Lorgar smashes Guilliman.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  15. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Well from an emp stand point you could throw it into the middle of your warp core and it wouldn't affect the suit's circuitry. From the aspect of actual damage then yah, it'll take it out.

Terminator might be able to... but thats a massive if and I personally doubt it.

16. siphra Registered Senior Member

Terminators routinely survive (ok maybe not routinely) orbital Bombardment. That invulnerable save helps a lot.

17. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

In my opinion a terminator squad has a better chance of surviving an enemy then a land raider does.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Then the question is simple - is WH40K armor capable of, or designed to, resist(ing) molecular disintegration? Otherwise, a phaser should slice and dice it like it does anything else at higher levels (well, okay, it should vaporize it, but you get the point)

19. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Well they can survive gauss flayers, so I suppose yah.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

See, I don't really think the two operate on the same principle - the gauss flayer still seems to be a micro-level weapon, where as the Phaser is a sub-micro (sub-atomic technically) level weapon... unless the armor is, quite literally, completely atomically bound (which is why Neutronium is highly, highly resistant to them), it should still be affected.

And even Neutronium was able to be damaged by Quantum Torpedoes... though they weren't fully effective.

21. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

no offense, but where does the phaser get described as you said?

When I looked it up on memory alpha it was described more like a laser, sometimes explicitly

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

The idea behind the phaser is that it operates on the Rapid Nadion Effect and, essentially, upon impact with a target (at least on higher settings, like level 16 for example) breaks down the sub-atomic bonds within the target material.

Disruptors (like what Klingons and Romulans use) actually, at the molecular level, expand and compress the target material hundreds or thousands of times a second, causing massive stresses within the material and forcing it to break down.

Most of this is inference from examples on the show, both from what we see on screen and what is described to us. Examples including the fact that people do not violently "explode" when disintegrated by a phaser.

23. siphra Registered Senior Member

The Gauss Flayer is designed to do a very specific job, it is imho, essentially a phaser made to function a bit like the Varon-T Disruptor. Excepting that where the Varon-T does it from the inside out, the Flayer goes from the outside-in. But layer by layer, ensuring that it is felt.

No, while people don't more hardened targets do, water doesn't explode when I heat it up, but an unopened can of beans will.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011