War, what is it good for?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wesmorris, Feb 25, 2005.

1. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Pretty powerful stuff.

Bullshit, or not? You make the call.

http://www.reason.com/links/links022405.shtml

Could it be a positive indicator? Surely the road will not be smooth, but this guy has a positive attitude. I like it. It's hope.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Or maybe he realizes its best to side with the giant while he is strong.

Just you wait. The day the giant stumbles. Stumbles for a second.

All his so called friends will pounce on him and rob him. Rob him clean.

If you want to call it hope, call it so. But he's not stupid. He went public for a reason.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Maybe Bush has agreed to set Jumblatt up with a CIA protected heroin franchise.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Thanks to the vision of George Bush and the power of the US military, democracy is breaking out all over the middle east. It won't be easy, but ultimately the chaotic middle-eastern cesspool that gave birth to the September 11 terrorists will be cleaned up making the world a better place for us and them.

8. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

And predictably there is no mention of American style 'democracy' being forced on Saudi Arabia or Kuwait ! The only 'democracy' America recoginises in the region is the "Democracy for Jews only Israel " . And this sham election in Iraq tell me how can democracy be measured within the realm of military subjugation of occupation ? So my answer is BULLSHIT .............

9. Crimson_Scribe Thespian Registered Senior Member

we'll see. Remember that American democracy wasn't very democratic for a long time.

10. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

But what is our children learning from this experience? Absolutely nothing. (Say it again!)

Let us hope it goes better this time around.

Notes:

Haddad, Yvonne Y. "The Islamic Alternative". The Link, v. 15, n. 4. Sept.-Oct., 1982. See http://www.ameu.org/summary1.asp?iid=120

11. duendy Registered Senior Member

war can NEVEr be good for any body, or anything.
    Theses warr-ists are the patriarchs. their middle NAME Is war. they LOVE it. and if there is some kind of dodgy so-called 'peace' they actually CREATE wars. you are naive to think otherwise

they war against YOUr frredom for spiritual expression. so dont believe all this 'democracy' crap ...actually that very idea originally didn't include women or slaves!....has anything really changed?

12. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

Actually war can be good for a small number of people who profit from it. in the iraq case , bush and his oil company friends. In general moral terms war is always bad because the mass murder and destruction over weigh the profitable terms.

13. duendy Registered Senior Member

Ture in one way--ie., about it only being good for a small elite. but those peopleare completely ignorant. they believe they aren't a part of Nature, and thus their actions have no consequence for them. SUCH a dangeous idea, and drags uss--including all other species'-- down. As it is doing

14. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

What is war good for? They make great movies and songs.

15. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

War can profit the entire world. Why do you think only a few can profit from it?

In general moral terms war is not good nor bad. Good and bad require a "to whom". They don't make sense outside of a context. War a symptom of commited, incompatable world-views.

16. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

War is the primary way things can be changed outside one's borders when the other side isn't going to comply with your 'asking nicely'. This change can be for the better just as easily as it can be for the worse. It is often necessary.

17. Odin'Izm Procrastinator Registered Senior Member

The whole (to whom) part is crap , both sides loose people in a war so it maintained either bad for both or neutral.

and please name me a war where everyone on one side profited, sure future generations might profit from a certain war.. but for now i have never seen a war where a majority profited... they usually turned everything to shit.

18. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Brilliant. I'm sure the Jews would have been better off if we hadn't fought WW2 and had just let Hitler kill them all.

19. Undecided Banned Banned

War is good as long as the benefits outweigh the costs, and Iraq has not done that and won't, NK will not either, neither will Iran. War is justified if your attacked, which is a warning to Americans who naively think they won't be attacked. Pick ur fights wisely...

20. Muhlenberg Registered Senior Member

It is a matter of religious faith. The left will never and cannot endorse freedom or true democracy anywhere. It didn't when America fought the Soviet Union and it won't as America tries to reform the mideast.

Expect the left to fight every inch of the way and then, if the battle is won or improvements are made, to declare fighting it was pointless.

21. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

That's not a very strong argument.

losing people sucks, but it doesn't necessarily outweigh the gains. wwII for instance got rid of hitler. it sucked before the war and during it, but it is great that the war was won by those other than hitler. everyone in the world gained from it in that capacity.

just did.

then perhaps it's your attitude that's shit.

22. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

The benefits? The benefits? My God man, we're talking about bringing Democracy to millions, and you want the benefits?

23. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

More importantly, people in neighboring countries feel it. They were moved by the Iraqis going out to vote. That is profit IMO. I think it's wrong to discount their newfound hope - hope garnered through war.