voices.

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Jun 3, 2007.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i have tried but cannot make a noise inside my mind sound like its comming from outside of my own head/imagination.

try it yourself, try to make a real sounding voice of the same quality when somebody speaks to you,

it cant be done,

peace.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Because you are knowingly trying to do it and are not having the same chemical imbalances as your wife....
    It's a fairly well-known phenomenon.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

if you heard a real voice comming from your room, but you knew people were in the room, but they all deny speaking, and your house was on a remote island with no other humans,

would you think that one of them spoke and is lying because the voice was a real sounding voice,

or would you accept that it was a chemical imbabalnce? (im just trying to set an example)

peace.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

First guess is that one of them is lying. But if they all deny it and I'm going through a known condition which causes chemical imbalance then fair enough.
    When I was little I used to "hear" my grandmother telling me to get up. But she wasn't in the house at the time. The "voice" was in my head, but I "heard" it with ears... or I thought I did. Because tha's how humans are used to things.

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

but how can you hear something thats in your mind. it doesent make a sound, the only way you can actualy hear something is if vibrations go through your ear,

your mind cannot make sounds that can be heard.

peace.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

One time I was sitting listening to a friend of mine talking, and instead of his words, I heard a saxophone solo. There was no stereo on or anything. I said, "I didn't understand anything you just said because it sounded like someone playing a saxophone.". He said I was weird.

10. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah thats kind of strange man, i dont understand how people can just hear things though, whats the science behind it? because i thought sound was strictly vibrations in the air that we recieve through our ears, that are then processed in the brain,

how is it possible for the vibrations and processing side of things to be skipped, and a sound just to be produced from within the mind itself,

peace.

11. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

That's the point. The voice is in your head but because humans are used to hearing things through the ears the brain misinterprets the signal and convinces the "listener" that the sound is external. But it isn't.

12. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i cant see how we could prove this with the current level of technology. if this were true then we could manipulate and create an example of this mental behaviour with a subject.

if it was proven 100% with hard facts i will believe it straight away.

peace.

13. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

No, I did hear the sound of my friend's voice, only instead of interpreting it as intelligible speach, my brain interpreted it as music. It's possible that your wife heard something else, and interpreted it as speech.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  15. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

the first 2 links didnt say anything about actual testing from scientists, the last link was the most scientificaly informative, but it dit not show evidence and proof that the voices people hear came from within the mind,

it shows that when hearing an actual voice it lights up different parts of the brain when hearing male and female voices, and also that male voices are more common to people that have an illness,

is there any factual proof that shows what im looking for?

peace.

16. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah anything is possible this sounds like the best theory so far.

peace.

17. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

The first two links say research... and Manchester Uni is doing another project. Who researches? Monkeys?
    Of course they didn't show evidence and proof. I haven't got time to Google for stuff you should be looking for.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

They were quick links I found. I did something about this stuff during my psychology studies, but ignored most of it because I was more interested cognitive psychology... sorry.

18. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yes monkeys.

thanks for the info though it was a good read, and i guess i win the debate by default,

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

peace.

19. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah now we found out that the child is a girl,

peace.

20. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That's a physicist's definition of "sound." A psychologist's definition--perhaps even a physiologists's definition--is different. Sound is nothing more nor less than a brain activity that only correlates very highly with physical sound but not perfectly. The sensory centers in our brain do all kinds of weird things. Certainly we've all felt phantom tactile sensations when there was nothing touching our skin. People misinterpret raw visual stimuli and "see" things that aren't there all the time, as anyone knows who's ever served on a jury. What's so remarkable about our auditory center doing the same thing?
    Absolutely. I've recounted the story before of my (American) friend who lived and worked in Japan and speaks the language like a native. Yet even today this is such a remarkable phenomenon in Japan, that when he walks up to a Japanese person and speaks in Japanese, they "hear" him speaking a foreign language and can't understand him. He's careful to approach strangers from behind so they can't see his American face, and they understand him perfectly.

21. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i have never seen, heard or felt anything that wasnt real the same as a real thing.

and i have taken lsd in the past, i still didnt see or hear things that i thought were real,

peace.