USA - One person shot every 5.2 minutes

Discussion in 'World Events' started by James R, Nov 10, 2009.

1. John99 Banned Banned

the u.s is the worst. i dont know why people people immigrate there. it is overcrowded too.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

Asguard, why do you even bother? Have you been to the USA? Jesus, get a clue.

There are checkpoints here Asguard. The USA is a FEDERAL nation, each state has it's own rules on drunk driving. The state I live in is a zero tolerance state: if you get caught drunk driving, you lose your license for 3 years the first time and spend a week in jail. It increases drastically after that. We have checkpoints where I live, every Friday and Saturday night, with breathalyzers. If you knew ANYTHING about law enforcement, you'd know that it's fairly easy to identify intoxicated drivers. Few cops use the "walk the straight line" only anymore (though, It may be used in conjunction with other physical tests). And yes, breathalyzers are quite common.

But I'm not even talking about that. If the industrialized world would just put governors on all vehicles and breathalyzers in every car, drunk driving and serious speed accidents would drop precipitously. But the truth is, your government, just like every other government only cares about the "flashy" deaths. The dull and boring ones don't win elections. Your nation, just like every other nation, is caught up in the same ridiculous cycle of chiseling away various rights to satisfy something that has little to no relative effect on the nation (gun control). But when it comes to REAL measures which would stop many times more deaths. . . it's just not worth the effort.

Thus my overall point, that gun control, while flashy and headline friendly, is really a non issue in saving lives. There are greater, more effective ways to save MILLIONS more, but it's just not worth it; not in Germany, not in Australia, not in Japan and not in the USA.

~String

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

wow, i apologise string. I guess that Tiassa and others are a figment of my imagination because THEY are the ones who said it cant be done because its concidered police harasment, so sorry i didnt ask the lord almighty but if you had wanted to correct them you could EASERLY have done so by paticipating in that thread

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

For your infomation:

RBT thread: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=77049

Seatbelt law thread: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=88653&highlight=drink driving

i find you comments amusing to say the least. First you critise james for "not caring about car crash victoms" and then when i point out the problems which exist there you critise ME for "worrying about US internal matters". Sorry mate but this is an international site and if you do the same search that i just did (ie all threads in ethics started by me) you will find just as many threads critising Australian policy as US policy, internal AND external

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

8. shaman_ Registered Senior Member

So how do those numbers compare to the US?

Americans seem to have little interest in Australia. If you want to discuss problems in Australia, sure start a thread I will join in.

This is the World subforum and people are going to talk about other countries. America is not off-limits to foreigners. You clearly have a gun problem and it is worth discussing. It is of interest to some Australians because the US is the country that influences us the most. It is one trend we don't want followed here.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

superstring:

I'm happy to discuss car accidents in a different thread, if you wish. This one is about guns.

(Q):

I don't trust your data. I took a look at the source site. It seems to be a pro-gun site that doesn't even include information about who runs it or how to contact them (as far as I can tell). There are only a few general references to thinks like the Australian Bureau of Statistics, but no specific sources given for the data, which makes me suspicious to say the least.

Most Americans can't find Australia on a map, let alone know anything else about it.

This attempt to divert to other issues has been tried by at least three people in this thread so far. Yes, car accidents are a problem, but they have nothing to do with guns. See?

I've commented on shooting at ranges in a previous post. Go back and read it.

The US has the worst gun problem of any developed nation.

10. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Yeah, which is what some of us have been saying .....That your issue is not about people being killed, it's about gun control. And you seem too dishonest to just come right out and say it.

See? You don't care about the gazillions who are killed every few minutes in cars or by falling or whatever, you only care about those killed with guns. See, James? It's basically an issue of you being dishonest in this thread.

Think of it this way, James - you're using the dead people to further your own agenda. Hmm, "...using dead people...."? Wow, interesting, huh?

It's not a gun problem, James! It's a problem of some of our illustrious citizenry seem intent on killing some of the other citizens. Ain't got nothin' to do with the weapon used. We just like killing more than citizens of other nations.

James, if you don't like guns in America, just say so ...don't try to invent some lame excuse for your bias.

By the way, James, is it always your way to punish others for the acts of only a few?

Baron Max

11. Gustav Banned Banned

so lets talk solutions
    lay out a detailed course of action to counteract this "problem"
    take a look at the myriad efforts taken in this country with regards to regulation and show us how we can be more effective in reducing fatalities

what happened as a result of these stings?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  12. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The population density in the USA is not especially high, somewhere in the range of 25-50/sqkm. California, our most populous state, is mostly farmland and forest. Drive through its biggest city, Los Angeles, and you'll see primarily single-family houses.

The Wikipedia map shows that virtually the entire continent of Europe is more heavily populated than America, with England, Germany and Italy at nearly ten times our density.
    I must be dreaming. Sam and I agree on something.

Though road accidents kill more people than firearms in the USA, the rates are, in fact, comparable: 43,000 vs. 29,000, according to this source in 2000.

Road accidents are one of the top five causes of death all over the world, even in Africa where nobody can afford a car. There the reason is that bus, truck and taxi drivers can't afford an optometrist so they can't see where they're going. New user-configurable oil lenses for $15 a pair with no doctor visit will turn that around, especially if someone like Bill and Melinda champions the cause.

Roughly half of fatal accidents in the USA involve a drunken driver--of course that doesn't mean intoxication caused the accident but the statistic gives us an approximation to work with. We could solve that problem for just a few billion dollars spread over ten years, by installing a breathalyzer interlock in every new car and waiting for the fleet to turn over. Instead we're spending trillions of dollars, destroying the Middle East and turning America into a police state in order to reduce the death toll from terrorism, which so far in this century averages 300 per year--modestly greater than the total from lighting and bee stings.

It isn't that my people don't care about human life, but rather that they practice irrational risk management.
    Yes but we're willing to accept that risk. We fear the expansion of a too-big-for-its-britches government that one day may want send the cops out on midnight house-to-house searches for tobacco, transfatty acids and gay marriage licenses--for which the Homeland Gestapo will have drawn a connection to terrorist activity.

After the demise of Prague Spring, bumper stickers sprang up all over America with the message: "Czechs registered their guns."

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Baron Max:

You don't get it. I do care about people who are killed in car accidents, but this thread is about gun control. See?

So, I'll repeat myself yet again: I'm happy to discuss car accidents in a different thread. Get it?

I don't like guns in America.

I'm not punishing anybody. Am I?

14. WillNever Valued Senior Member

People... let's not forget the USA's unique position among developed nations.

We have major racial and ethnic problems that countries such as Norway, Iceland, or the Netherlands simply do not have to do deal with, and those problems are the source of a great deal of our drug-related and violent crimes. Comparing the American crime rates to the crime rates of ethnically homogenous countries without any gang problems, and then saying "Look how innately peaceful these uniformly blonde-haired, blue-eyed people are, who never have to live with a significant population of people who look and think vastly differently than they do" makes no sense. We have some serious that issues that those countries lack, due only to the demographic make-up of our populace. We're actually doing pretty damn well, in spite of things.

Now, imagine if We the People of the USA were to suddenly lock every single black, hispanic, and American Indian onto a fleet of barges and then set them on a course to one of those peaceful European countries like say, Iceland... and then unload them.

Can anybody say, war in the streets? Whatever country that group of minority races lands on will be forever changed... and you can be very sure that THEIR crime rates will spike in ways much worse than ours do.

15. WillNever Valued Senior Member

For the reasons I just stated in my previous post. I agree with you.

Connecticut isn't a strict one either. And look, so little crime. I wonder why. Could it have something to do with being full of rich white people?

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

will never, thats a stupid comment. Australia and england have the same problems and a much lower murder rate AND a much lower gun crime rate, not to mention rates of acidental gun shootings (i cant rember the last time Jullia Gillard acidently shot someone

) and suicides by guns (its MUCH easier to fix an overdose or even slashed wrists than it is a shot gun blast to the head)

17. WillNever Valued Senior Member

So... more than a full third of the UK and Australia is non-white? I don't think so, asguard. Only ~66% of the USA is non hispanic white. That's the biggest majority we have.

And guess what I just checked. ~94% of Australia is white. ~93% of the UK is white. Not even REMOTELY close to what the situation in the USA is. Stupid comment, my ass.

I think people who do not intimately know about the USA need to not partake in this conversation. They don't know what they are talking about, so they don't make any sense.

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

WillNever:

Are you claiming that the US gun problem is due to black people shooting themselves or others more often than white people? What feature of being black do you think is relevant here?

19. WillNever Valued Senior Member

The point is that racial differences of ANY kind lead to racial unrest somewhere down the line. Just check out LA some time, if you don't believe me. The hispanics and blacks have been waging a racial gang war on the streets of that city for decades. Let's not the forget the infamous Los Angeles race riots of 1992, folks. We all remember Rodney King, don't we?

And let's not forget the ~12.5 million illegal immigrants living in America. That amounts to more than half the people in your whole country, JamesR. All illegal over here. More poverty + more racial divisiveness = more crime. Don't even try comparing your country to ours. It's not even close to being on the same level.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

so you think that rather than the importation and maifacture and sale of guns being responcable for the number of guns in the US, its the blacks falt?

Would you like to look at that again logically?

21. WillNever Valued Senior Member

You need to stop purposefully misinterpreting statements and taking what I say toward illogical extremes (all blacks' fault) that I never stated. I've already stated my position, and I did so in no uncertain terms. When the two of you are in the mood to respond like mature adults, I'll be around.

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i really have to ask, how do you people think that guns get into the hands of criminals?

There are only a couple of options really:

They manifacture them themselves (HIGHLY unlikly)
    They steal or buy them from people who have bought them legally
    They buy them legally themselves
    They steal them from gun shops\manifactures
    They smuggle them across the border

now as you spend SO much money on the boarders to the detrement of your own people to keep out the "evil aliens" they couldnt be smuggling them over the boarder in large numbers right?

There not building them themselves

which leaves, theft from "legitimate" people like the gun manifactures, shops or owners or legitimate purchase (or illegal purches, it really makes no difference)

Now if you forced people to hand in all the weapons laying around you reduce both the theft and the black market sale and as for the comments that they have them already eventually the police will manage to track down most of these or they will run out of ammo or rust or get thrown away ect. Anyway they will slowly disapear by natural attrition but only once the sale, manifacture and imporation are stopped. While they are floating around everywhere its no wonder they have no problems getting there hands on them

23. Gustav Banned Banned

really asguard
    get with the program
    lord hillyer never said all blacks
    he said blacks, hispanics and amerindian

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009