US warships frightened by Iranian boats; War of Terror; US foreign policy, etc...

Discussion in 'World Events' started by S.A.M., Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

There is no cure for stupidity

Where are the victims of cluster bombs listed?

Where are the victims from US air raids listed?

http://www.motherjones.com/mojoblog/archives/2007/09/5612_us_air_raids_in.html

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I can't find that video. Got a link ?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Hey I totally, agree. Like I said, I can't wait to see how the Chinese deal with the ME.

8. Echo3Romeo One man wolfpack Registered Senior Member

Sorry to bring this thread back on topic but the DOD has released a video of the incident. Click on "Strait of Hormuz confrontation":

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2008/01/07/starr.iran.us.warships.cnn

If you look, you can see a few of the boats travel well inside the stern wave of the destroyer that the camera is onboard. It might not seem that close, but in terms of naval warfare in the littorals, that is "knife fight in a phonebooth" close. If you're within a few thousand yards of somebody you can pretty much spit in their eye. We have had these little spats of brinksmanship with the IRGC in the SoH many times before, but I don't remember one ever being publicized like this. That said, I'm still rather surprised that the commander of the task element didn't go weapons free and light these idiots up. Pulling a stunt like this where you charge a convoy and dump stuff in the water in front of them is a good way to elicit an unsurvivable response, especially after the changes of force protection doctrine since the Cole was bombed.

I don't think it is all that significant, though. The 20th anniversary of Operation Praying Mantis is in a few months. The Iranians surely haven't forgotten who lost that one.

9. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I surprised there isn't some sort of way to deal with the speedboats that didn't involve blowing them up. Like punching a hole in the bottom without exploding the boat?

10. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

Time will tell Sandy girl. There`s a hard rains a gonna fall. You can be sure of that. But who consoles the mother who lost her son?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Yes there is no cure for terminal stupidity, SpAM the site list the cause of death, Car Bomb, Shooting, Torture, and if you would have cared to notice that the list contained casualties caused by Coalition Troops, for the date listed 131 caused by terrorist action, 7 by U.S. troops.

SpAM and her Team of Terrorist 131

Buffalo and Coalition Troops 07

It goes on page after page after page with the same results, Terrorist are the ones who are responsable for 90+% of the casuelties today and for

They had top get that Armored Personnel Carrier, they couldn't let it pass by.

Terrorist action, how many do you want me to look up and post?

Terrorist who couldn't handle a mortar.

The list give date and year cause of death, numbers and who they were.

Yes SpAM, it is your Brothers in Terror who are winning this count, 131 to 7, we in the west just don't compare with the the Jihadi terrorist in the killing or should I say murder of Iraqis, Your brothers in arms, the side you cheer on, yes SpAM, how clean are your hands, you excuse every action that they commit, so again how clean are your hands?

12. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Come on, these guys would probably take SAM out just as quickly as they'd take out you or I. Also, lets not forget that the founding fathers in the USA were called "terrorists" by the British.

Lastly, the truth is as we surely can all see, this war is about oil, yes the USA would like to have a USA friendly democratically elected Iraqi government but if they can't have that then they'd settle with a USA friendly puppet government.

I wonder BF, if 50.1% of Iraqis democratically elected a Theocratic Shia government - would YOU support it. Would our brothers blood have been worth it?

13. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Why would I have to support it? it wouldn't be my government, as for support from our government, It would be the actions of that government that would be the determining factor as to wether it should be supported or not, if it was set on bringing the apocalypse, to world would you support it?

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

15. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

But rooted in the Shiite ideology of martyrdom and violence, the Hojjatieh sect adds messianic and apocalyptic elements to an already volatile theology. They believe that chaos and bloodshed must precede the return of the 12th Imam, called the Mahdi. But unlike the biblical apocalypse, where the return of Jesus is preceded by waves of divinely decreed natural disasters, the summoning of the Mahdi through chaos and violence is wholly in the realm of human action. The Hojjatieh faith puts inordinate stress on the human ability to direct divinely appointed events. By creating the apocalyptic chaos, the Hojjatiehs believe it is entirely in the power of believers to affect the Mahdi’s reappearance, the institution of Islamic government worldwide, and the destruction of all competing faiths.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has clearly indicated that he is a true believer in this faith. It has been reported that he has told confidants that he anticipates the immanent return of the Mahdi. When he previously served as Mayor of Tehran, he advocated for widening the roads to accommodate the Mahdi’s triumphal entry into the city. One of his first acts of office as President was to dedicate approximately $20 million to the restoration and improvement of the mosque at Jamkaran, where the Mahdi is claimed to dwell.

This personal belief directs his official policies as President. He has publicly said, “Our revolution’s main mission is to pave the way for the reappearance of the 12th Imam, the Mahdi. We should define our economic, cultural and political policies on the policy of the Imam Mahdi’s return.”

16. otheadp Banned Banned

In principle
    A people first has to have their own renaissance before they're ready for a normal democratic regime. Imposing it on a savage people won't make it democratic. The danger, of course, is that the savages, who are prone to violent revolutions, will just overturn the elected government if they don't like it. That's why "democracy" and "the rule of law" are mentioned in one senence. You have to respect the rule of law even if you don't like it, and savages don't do that.

But in reality
    The theory goes that eventually, as the savages get more familiar with the concept and workings of democracy, even if it's their special brand of it, their level of barbarity will go down, and their respect for the rule of law (and not for the iron fist) will go up. That's what will eventually happen if a nutjob government is democratically elected.

By the way, a mullocracy like in Tehran is not a democracy. So if the people will elect a dictatorship, that is not good enough. The parliamentary system must be representative of the different population segments that exist in Iraq. In Iran, Khameini's regime regularly disqualifies over 30% of elections candidates, and at the time of Khatami, he regularly overruled his decisions - in private or in public. That is not democracy, and if something like that comes to Iraq then it will not be satisfactory. I mean, the results won't be obvious at first, but with time (e.g. 1 year) it will be, and if it's not a democracy then it will have to go.

17. John99 Banned Banned

Ah, so SAM is trying to usher in the Mahdi. Makes sense now.

18. Harnu Semper Fidelis Registered Senior Member

So how many founding fathers destroyed schools and other public buildings, killed children (of the country they are fighting for), etc while they fought for their freedom?

19. otheadp Banned Banned

Zero.
    All they did was stop paying taxes to the British, and then fight back the invasion.

20. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Cowardly is India not invading or nuking Pakistan.

America has bested Germany, Russia, Japan, Iraq, Afghanistan, et al.

What has India bested lately?

Not poverty. Not class conflict. Not unnecessary procreation.

Thanks for another attempt to lecture the rest of us why we're so much worse than your own sorry existences.

Not our fault. Not our problem.

Darwin knew humor.

21. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I've been wondering if the European Renaissance was sparked by the black plague. Are we the ME's Black Plague?

22. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

No - but they did own and f*ck their slaves. I think mainly they were named terrorists by the British for not paying tax and of course for killing Englishmen.

You see back then it was fine to kill and f*ck slaves. Well, maybe not fine, but certainly no where nearly as bad as not paying the King his dues. I mean come on, can you imagine if you didn't pay your Federal Income Tax today? You'd be in jail tomorrow. If you led a bunch of people to do the same - you'd be a terrorist.

Anyway, yup, slave weren't human - they were property. Not to mention the 100 million or so native Americans women and children that were murdered ... yup, the people of the British colonies and the Early republic did kill a LOT of women and children - I'm 100% positive they'd be considered evil terrorists by today's standards.

23. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately.

--Benjamin Franklin, July 4, 1776.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.